Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WTC Secrecy and Kona slots [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
can i get a bottom line on this? specifically:

1. bbryant, you're asking that after an ironman race, that a list of people, their names, their times, who qualified for kona be presented publicly somewhere. here maybe.
2. noofus, you're saying this is a pretty easy thing to do. that it can be done in 20 minutes with a little excel talent. yes?
3. privacy issues. really? i'm not scoffing, just asking. i don't see any reasonable expectation of privacy here, since as a number of people noted these are facts publicly available just by going to the rolldown. and, is this the sort of thing that a person would find objectionable if it was published about him? that he qualified for kona?
4. cat burglars? if it's reasonably easy to find out who from chattanooga qualified for kona so that i can rob your house while you're racing in kona, can't i just find that out even if it's not published on slowtwitch?

so, how important is it? if we generate the info here, publish it here, after every race, is that of value and is that objectionable for privacy reasons?

Dan, since we're asking for everything we'd like for Christmas, how about a return of the Enhanced Results spreadsheets? I'd be happy to volunteer to run the macros. What happened to them?

For those looking to KQ or understand what it takes, these were incredibly valuable and entertaining. For a while, they also included KQ (I believe while that was being published by sportstats(?) until WTC integrated all IM race results?)
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Secrecy and Kona slots [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLACKSHEEP wrote:
" There is literally no reason other than morbid curiosity that anyone NEEDS that information."

Really Noofus, "literally no reason", are you sure? There is no reason NOT to put it in.

When I was doing ironman races I was always interested in seeing the time of the last qualifier in my age group, just to see what approximate time I should be aiming for on any particular course.
Also
, of particular interest to me, just to check how far the roll down went.
I realize that it's not perfect but it was at least a rough estimate.

That's far from morbid curiosity, in fact it seems sensible.
When the last qualifier in my age group at the last ironman I did went from 45 minutes faster than me to 90 minutes faster, over 2 years, I decided it was no longer worth the investment.

I haven't read through this whole thread but here's where I can see value - in '06 when I qualified in AZ I had done a lot of homework. Took forever, but I knew who had already qualified in IMFL other races. So when I had stretched the rubberband so to speak to the point of breaking late in the run, I knew whether to let the runner go by or to dig deep and try and hang on for dear life because I already new they had a slot. Not saying it worked great, but it worked. It's also a great way for me to understand which courses play to my strengths. I can see that relatively speaking, a humid race like Texas or Malaysia might suit me better based on the qualifying times and who qualified versus Lake Placid or Canada. Then I can see how they did on courses we have in common or heads up racing. Nerdy? Yes. But still helpful.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: WTC Secrecy and Kona slots [bbryant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The don't publish that stuff for 1 reason, they do not want to make it possible to be "audited/reconciled."

Let's say for instance that you knew who took every slot at every qualifying event, then let's say you knew every pro toeing the line, then also you knew who got in via lottery, and you also knew who got in via legacy.

With that information, you could cross reference the list of starters and see exactly who and how many spots were given away by some other means (executive challenge, publicity, OTHER sponsorship spots, other that we don't know about).

In no way would they want that to happen. WTC is committed to the "pier is only so big" argument. If one could learn that the pier is only so big but 200 people are on that pier from some means other than qualification or lottery or legacy, I think there would be some major uproar in the ranks of the AGers that are busting their asses to get their shot.

That number might be 50 or 100 or 300, I have no idea (and that is the point).

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Secrecy and Kona slots [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, I can think of no other reason. But as I don't think they give a shit anyway I'm surprised they'd go to that much trouble.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim Martin wrote:
The don't publish that stuff for 1 reason, they do not want to make it possible to be "audited/reconciled."

Let's say for instance that you knew who took every slot at every qualifying event, then let's say you knew every pro toeing the line, then also you knew who got in via lottery, and you also knew who got in via legacy.

With that information, you could cross reference the list of starters and see exactly who and how many spots were given away by some other means (executive challenge, publicity, OTHER sponsorship spots, other that we don't know about).

In no way would they want that to happen. WTC is committed to the "pier is only so big" argument. If one could learn that the pier is only so big but 200 people are on that pier from some means other than qualification or lottery or legacy, I think there would be some major uproar in the ranks of the AGers that are busting their asses to get their shot.

Interesting point. Makes me wonder (but not enough to look) if the number of starters each year at Kona is more or less the same? Does the Slowtwitch bike count each year total the same number of bikes? In other words do we actually know what the pier capacity has been stated at?
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Secrecy and Kona slots [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know that it is EXACTLY the same each year, but I believe that it is pretty close. Even still, whatever the capacity is, it doesn't help the calculus if we don't have the other information from which to draw conclusions.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't they publish bib lists? It won't tell you how they got there, but if you wanted to know raw # of entrants you could get that.

They'd also likely have a given % of entrants as DNS, so there's that too to figure out.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Secrecy and Kona slots [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea if his figures are correct, but Coach Cox has this post showing that athlete numbers in Kona have grown consistently over the last 10 years, from 1,797 in 2004 to 2,187 last year. Even in the last 5 years it has grown by about 260 athletes, from 1927 in 2010 to 2187 in 2014. They seem to find ways to squeeze in more athletes despite what they say.

http://www.coachcox.co.uk/2015/09/07/2016-kona-qualification-in-numbers/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Jim Martin wrote:

Interesting point. Makes me wonder (but not enough to look) if the number of starters each year at Kona is more or less the same? Does the Slowtwitch bike count each year total the same number of bikes? In other words do we actually know what the pier capacity has been stated at?

There's no secret regarding the number of KQ slots. All the information is out there!

Search each race Ironman race and view how many Kona Slot are available for that race. (30-40-50 and so on). You will get KQ total slots, add the legacy slots, finally there should be around 50-60 pro men and 35-45 women. Why a little more pro slots, past winners and WC 70.3 get a automatic slot, they don't required KPR, at least this was last year rule, might have change this year.

From all those results, you might be able to have an idea how many media/sponsors/foundation are giving away. DNS this is a pure guess but I would say something like 5-10% for many reasons (injuries, sick, etc)

You want to know how many athletes registered this year (2367 athletes)...

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/world-championship/ironfan/2015-oct-10/leaderboard.aspx#axzz3o6FRHZ7r

A quick calculation regarding slot

38 IM races x 50 slots = 1900 (there's some races with 40 and other 75 Championship races)
58 Pro men
43 Pro women
100 legacy slots

I would guess that 250 slots are sold (giving) to foundation raisers, media, sponsors...

DNS % of 7 (2367 x 0.07 = 118), we should see around 2200 on the pier...
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Secrecy and Kona slots [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A thought that I have is that by keeping the information away from the general IM participant; WTC can get more people to think that they can chase the dream.
If one thinks they have a shot at it; they'll keep entering races and paying more $$.

Or, one could be like BLACKSHEEP above and decide the dream is no longer achievable and give up on IM; lowering revenue for WTC.
Having the info available freely will just show that it's not possible.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Secrecy and Kona slots [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
A thought that I have is that by keeping the information away from the general IM participant; WTC can get more people to think that they can chase the dream.
If one thinks they have a shot at it; they'll keep entering races and paying more $$.

Or, one could be like BLACKSHEEP above and decide the dream is no longer achievable and give up on IM; lowering revenue for WTC.

Hey, anything is possible - says so right on IM's website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The same Coach Cox link gives the number of people in the results and the number of qualifiers. For example in 2014 there were 2187 "results" (starters) and 1620 qualifiers. There would have been 200 lottery/legacy. There would have been 85 pros plus the automatic qualifiers ~ 8. Age group automatic qualifiers ~ 25.

Have I missed any other way to qualify?

So roughly we can account for about 1940 slots leaving ~ 247 unexplained slots.

http://www.coachcox.co.uk/2015/09/07/2016-kona-qualification-in-numbers/

OP - the above link will also give you the estimated slots for each AG at each IM race for 2016.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Secrecy and Kona slots [lakercr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lakercr wrote:
Rumpled wrote:

Hey, anything is possible - says so right on IM's website

Sure, anything is possible; it just might not be likely. Like the Cubs winning the World Series.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Secrecy and Kona slots [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tongue in cheek...

Besides, the Jays will win the World Series - everyone knows this.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Secrecy and Kona slots [lakercr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lakercr wrote:
Tongue in cheek...

Besides, the Jays will win the World Series - everyone knows this.

Oh, I get it. But the Jays losing two at home is not looking good.
Quote Reply

Prev Next