Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Announces 2016 National Championship Line-up [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Do we really need a separate natinal championship for Clydesdales & Athenas? Seriously?

Oh, I assure you Athena and Clyde triathletes are plenty serious.

You may not deem us a legitimate category, but whilst our governing body does then yes, we also deserve a national championship.

I never said they aren't serious....but no, I don't think people deserve a special national championship simply because you are *bigger*.

But my point was really that I don't think they deserve a special weekend of championships. You wanna have a special class during the Age Group Nats? Fine, have at it...separate weekend with all the additional expense for an organization that is pretty cash-strapped in the first-place? Pass....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Announces 2016 National Championship Line-up [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are the Sprint nationals not Draft Legal?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Announces 2016 National Championship Line-up [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
UK2ME wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Do we really need a separate natinal championship for Clydesdales & Athenas? Seriously?

You may not deem us a legitimate category, but whilst our governing body does then yes, we also deserve a national championship.

I never said they aren't serious....but no, I don't think people deserve a special national championship simply because you are *bigger*.

But my point was really that I don't think they deserve a special weekend of championships. You wanna have a special class during the Age Group Nats? Fine, have at it...separate weekend with all the additional expense for an organization that is pretty cash-strapped in the first-place? Pass....

So it's really that you don't think we should be a category at all, which is an old argument that is above both your and my paygrade to determine.

Here is the writeup from this year:
"GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Eighteen age-group triathletes raced their way to national titles on Sunday at the 2015 USA Triathlon Clydesdale and Athena National Championships, competing across three distances as part of the Grand Rapids Triathlon set at Thornapple River.

National titles were awarded in three age categories per gender at the event: 39 and under (Clydesdale and Athena), 40-54 (Athena), 40-59 (Clydesdale), 55+ (Athena) and 60+ (Clydesdale). Nearly 150 athletes competed in the National Championship event in one of three triathlon distances: the long-distance 1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike and 13.1-mile run, the Olympic-distance 1,500-meter swim, 40-kilometer bike and 10-kilometer run, and the sprint 600m swim, 20k bike, 5k run."

So we were an add-on to an existing triathlon festival, not a standalone event, which also makes your point about the money moot.
Last edited by: UK2ME: Oct 6, 15 18:10
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Announces 2016 National Championship Line-up [brassatc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beats me. But this year wasn't draft legal either. Only the special qualifiers at Clermont next month are draft legal (both Sprint tri and Sprint du).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:
Power13 wrote:
UK2ME wrote:
Power13 wrote:

So it's really that you don't think we should be a category at all, which is an old argument that is above both your and my paygrade to determine.

Here is the writeup from this year:
"GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Eighteen age-group triathletes raced their way to national titles on Sunday at the 2015 USA Triathlon Clydesdale and Athena National Championships, competing across three distances as part of the Grand Rapids Triathlon set at Thornapple River.

National titles were awarded in three age categories per gender at the event: 39 and under (Clydesdale and Athena), 40-54 (Athena), 40-59 (Clydesdale), 55+ (Athena) and 60+ (Clydesdale). Nearly 150 athletes competed in the National Championship event in one of three triathlon distances: the long-distance 1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike and 13.1-mile run, the Olympic-distance 1,500-meter swim, 40-kilometer bike and 10-kilometer run, and the sprint 600m swim, 20k bike, 5k run."

So we were an add-on to an existing triathlon festival, not a standalone event, which also makes your point about the money moot.

Um, no....read what I write, not what you think I wrote. I accept that their is a national championship for Clydesdale and Athenas, even though I don't see the point. The precedent is there and it ain't gonna change.

The need for a stand-alone event? Nope...stupid and a waste of money.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Announces 2016 National Championship Line-up [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then I think you just don't know what you're talking about - it's not a separate, standalone event. It just takes place at a host race instead of with the AG nationals.
Last edited by: UK2ME: Oct 6, 15 18:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well then those 18 athletes should be very happy then.....

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Announces 2016 National Championship Line-up [brassatc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brassatc wrote:
Why are the Sprint nationals not Draft Legal?

Because there now will be a seperate DL Sprint Nationals race.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Announces 2016 National Championship Line-up [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Technically, I would call it a separate draft legal qualifier and leave the national out of it. Winners at Clermont will not be the national champion...that was already decided.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Announces 2016 National Championship Line-up [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure where you are seeing the distances listed as 10/40/5--the 2016 LC du page shows the same distances 5m/31m/5m used at Cary in the past:

http://www.usatriathlon.org/...mpionships-2016.aspx

Sort of disappointed in this choice though. I like that it is within driving distance for me and had a decent result there in 2014, but was really disappointed overall with the event. Didn't like the run course through the neighborhood trail and the amount of drafting and enforcement (lack of) on the bike was abysmal.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Announces 2016 National Championship Line-up [tate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, I got the distances from the same place you did ... only USAT updated that page since I looked yesterday and now it is 5-31-5. The more things change, the more they stay the same! I was pretty sick at Cary last year so didn't see too much drafting as I brought up the rear. But I did think jumping the ditch and running on that muddy trail behind the homes was stupid. Hopefully they will do better in 2016.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Technically, I would call it a separate draft legal qualifier and leave the national out of it. Winners at Clermont will not be the national champion...that was already decided.

Talking 2016, not 2015. Clemont is 2015

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Announces 2016 National Championship Line-up [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am making an assumption that 2016 will mirror 2015. The winner of the 2016 Sprint National Championship in Omaha will be the Nat Champion, but will it be draft legal or will they have a separate race again? I dunno.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by wprobinson [ In reply to ]
Re: USAT Announces 2016 National Championship Line-up [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I understand, there are no proposals from race directors/cities on the west coast. I think USAT is getting no desire from race directors on the west coast to put on a national championship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I am making an assumption that 2016 will mirror 2015. The winner of the 2016 Sprint National Championship in Omaha will be the Nat Champion, but will it be draft legal or will they have a separate race again? I dunno.

Clearly the 2016 Sprint NDL NC is for a NDL Sprint Nat Champion.

Seems they would also in 2016 have a sprint DL Nat Champions.

Same for DU Sprints, NDL and DL.

But, USAT has not addressed this from what I have heard. Will ask Tim.

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Announces 2016 National Championship Line-up [trijordan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As much as we complain about the WTC, they at last have top quality races in the south west.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So pleased that USAT released these race dates well in advance of 12/31. It really helps with the planning of the 2016 schedule.

--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Announces 2016 National Championship Line-up [More Cowbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMEN!
Quote Reply

Prev Next