Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what the temperature of the water is?
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writhe wrote:
Does anyone know what the temperature of the water is?

I think the latest I heard was about 70 degrees.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70.5 at Markland dam, between Cincy and Louisville, down from 75 pre storms
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [MTranquilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTranquilli wrote:
70.5 at Markland dam, between Cincy and Louisville, down from 75 pre storms

great info, thanks. I had heard we reached wetsuit temperature last week but I hadn't heard any specifics.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.courier-journal.com/...river-swim/73509960/

Looks like the great Ohio swim got cancelled for this weekend.

http://www.greatohioriverswim.com

Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [Vitesse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vitesse wrote:
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2015/10/07/algae-blooms-force-cancellation-ohio-river-swim/73509960/

Looks like the great Ohio swim got cancelled for this weekend.

http://www.greatohioriverswim.com

Good thing its IMLOU as opposed to IMCINCY :)
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming we're safe, but is anyone else anxiously awaiting those test results were supposed to get today?
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [MTranquilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Monday press release said they were going to take another test on Tuesday. I still haven't seen anything.

Kinda, sorta, maybe not related, they did left the recreational advisory in this Kentucky Lake yesterday.
Last edited by: Naps a lot: Oct 8, 15 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [Naps a lot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just sat through the athlete briefing a little bit ago. They talked about the water and it sounds like a definitive answer will be provided by tomorrow. But they were talking about practice swim logistics in the river for Saturday and everything on the IM side right now is planning for a swim. Here's hoping for good news but we shall see.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [SoCalAA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoCalAA wrote:
Just sat through the athlete briefing a little bit ago. They talked about the water and it sounds like a definitive answer will be provided by tomorrow. But they were talking about practice swim logistics in the river for Saturday and everything on the IM side right now is planning for a swim. Here's hoping for good news but we shall see.

Yep, I was at the briefing too and since someone above asked they also reported the water temp to be 71 degrees. Now just praying for a good test so we can swim!
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [SoCalAA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [jplouky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know the likelihood of algae being a problem for next year? Is this something that is normal for Ohio River every October?

Looking to do my first IM next year and would love to do Louisville as I grew up there, but don't want to risk my first 140.6 being turned into a 138.2. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [jplouky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The recreational use advisory for the section of the Ohio River that encompasses the Ironman triathlon swim course has been lifted"

So Ironman swimmers in the river only, anyone wanting to swim in other areas, don't. Ha!
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [Emilyk318] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emilyk318 wrote:
Does anyone know the likelihood of algae being a problem for next year? Is this something that is normal for Ohio River every October?

Looking to do my first IM next year and would love to do Louisville as I grew up there, but don't want to risk my first 140.6 being turned into a 138.2. Thoughts?

Thanks!

It's my understanding that it was an unprecedented event but perhaps with global warming there might be an increased chance in the future.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [Emilyk318] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree with sciguy, but to be honest I would look at the website of the Kentucky Water Department for the past treads. I know in Ohio we have had a lot of this over the last three years and it seems to be more often and last longer each year.

http://www.toughmantri.com

https://robinsonsstrengthandendurancecoaching.wordpress.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [wprobinson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Advisory is lifted and the swim is officially on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohio River still closed to recreational use for what appears to hundreds of miles both upstream and downstream. Miraculously it's fine right here in Louisville. Can't say I'm surprised.

The map on the KY Division of Water website makes me laugh every time if look at it.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [tigerblood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerblood wrote:
Ohio River still closed to recreational use for what appears to hundreds of miles both upstream and downstream. Miraculously it's fine right here in Louisville. Can't say I'm surprised.

The map on the KY Division of Water website makes me laugh every time if look at it.
In Reply To:

The word here is that testing was more rigorous here in order to see what the levels were. Testing at other sites was not as frequent. Chances are the levels are down everywhere because of the decreased temps and rainfall.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know the it was lifted the question was will it happen again next year. My answer was go to the history of the river and look or ask for the data from the Water Autorities. The problem with asking on here or facebook is that most of us will be guessing, I always refer to the people who have an education in water studies over people who just post on blogs or forums.

http://www.toughmantri.com

https://robinsonsstrengthandendurancecoaching.wordpress.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wprobinson wrote:
I know the it was lifted the question was will it happen again next year. My answer was go to the history of the river and look or ask for the data from the Water Autorities. The problem with asking on here or facebook is that most of us will be guessing, I always refer to the people who have an education in water studies over people who just post on blogs or forums.
I believe this is the first time its ever happened in the Ohio. It has happened in local lakes the last few years but not the Ohio that I know of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say the likelihood of it happening again is higher in years past.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [tigerblood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone do the practice swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it this morning. Water was 69 but should drop another degree or two since the air temp is dropping to 48 tonight. Water looked fine to me ... not sick yet either. Good current in the main channel...should be a quick swim after coming out of the canal and making the turn.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I did it this morning. Water was 69 but should drop another degree or two since the air temp is dropping to 48 tonight. Water looked fine to me ... not sick yet either. Good current in the main channel...should be a quick swim after coming out of the canal and making the turn.
Good to hear. Thanks for the update.
Quote Reply

Prev Next