Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying a tri bike..
Quote | Reply
I am looking at purchasing a tri bike in the next couple months but have very little knowledge about performance bikes. I currently own a 52" Fuji Roubaix road bike I bought on sale for $600. My job means I'm on the ocean 10 months a year and training for triathlon involves the odd swim in the ocean or occasional 5 mile run on land however I have raced a few sprints and Olympic distances in the last 18 months with ok results and my general fitness is pretty good.

Im back on land soon for good and want to start training seriously and compete regularly, hoping to complete an IM in 2016. I have some spare money I'm willing to put toward a quality high end tri bike,
I do realize it all starts with the rider and not the bike but I'd like to give myself every opportunity to perform at my best..
I need some advice on what to purchase please or do I need to just try a few bikes at local bike shops and go with what feels best, I just don't want to make a decision and regret it a few months later..?
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a tri bike.. [Marconi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything anyone is going to tell you will be personal preference without knowing you personally. Just go in to local stores, and demo demo demo.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a tri bike.. [zarb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zarb wrote:
Anything anyone is going to tell you will be personal preference without knowing you personally. Just go in to local stores, and demo demo demo.

I second the, try the bikes out and look at their demos for sure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Step 1- find a good store with an experienced tri-bike fitter (ST has a FIST database to aid in this). You may need to travel
Step 2- schedule a fitting. There will be a fee, which most likely will be waived if you purchase a bike from that shop
Step 3- learn which tri-bikes actually fit your body type. They are not all created the same. Plus, each bike manufacturer has a different system for labeling the sizes on their bikes.
Step 3.5- If in doubt, get your 'stack and reach' numbers from the fitting, start a new thread called "What bikes will fit me?", include said numbers, and let the brethren help you. Slowman himself is likely to chime in since that's his thing
Step 4- get on a few of those bike and test ride them. Try and feel the difference between a low level, mid level, high level ride. Be patient and visit a couple of other shops should the place you got fit not have all of the options.
Step 5- Remember that you have to make other decisions than just the frame. You need to know if and how much you will accessorize. At the minimum, you'll want pedals and shoes. Do you like the saddle? If not, exchange it immediately and negotiate a trial where you can return a saddle after a trial period. You'll probably also want some sort of data device. GPS? Do you want to train with cadence? This is an add-on. How about power? Another add on. How are you attaching this computer thingy to your bike? How about a flat kit and where are you storing it on the bike?
Step 6- Actually buy the bike.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a tri bike.. [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm beginning to understand this is no simple clear cut purchase, some great advice very much appreciated.
I'll be sure to start researching now and develop more understanding of bike particulars and individual preferences I may have before heading to the store.
Looking forward to the new gear and regular training.
Many thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The advice given so far has been pretty good, but a bit abstract. If you want to start thinking about bikes that are in the mid-high range, then these articles by Dan Empfield (Slowman) are useful, because they define what makes a "good" tri bike in 2015.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...Sweet_Spot_5289.html
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...Spot_Bikes_5291.html

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply