Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Helmets and Training
Quote | Reply
Hey All,

So we all know that wearing your aero helmet for training gets you the funny looks from other triathletes, mainly because you turn yourself into a "tri-dork". But I'm guilty of that. I'm currently training for IM 70.3, and I feel that I should wear my aero helmet on long rides to just get used to the helmet (got it fairly recently), how it feels when I wear it for a long duration, being in the tucked position with it (this feels different than when I'm tucked with the Foray, because when I'm tucked in with the Tardiz, I can feel the tail of the helmet touch my back) and looking forward. It definitely feels different than my Giro, mostly on the ventilation department. I honestly feel dorkier wearing my Giro Foray on my Specialized Shiv than wearing the Lazer Tardiz, but that's just me. Anyways, is it that bad to wear your aero helmet during training? Do you guys do it? Feel free to discuss!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets and Training [awjirik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awjirik wrote:
I honestly feel dorkier wearing my Giro Foray on my Specialized Shiv than wearing the Lazer Tardiz, but that's just me

I will concur; that's just you. :-)

I say wear it once or twice in training if you must, then never again outside of a race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's silly to worry about looking strange if there's a functional reason.

At the end of the day, is the strange stares (probably from people who don't know better, as those who do understand the need of a dress rehearsal) enough to cause you to use untested equipment on race day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will matter to almost no one. Specifically, it will not be important to anyone you care about. Wear whatever helmet you want on your head.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets and Training [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree....It doesn't matter.

I see dudes/gals in their aero helmets all the time. I used mine on training rides for the same purposes as you. I don't anymore because I know what it feels like but do what you want man... If it's because NNORD or just because... let em hate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear my aero helmet when I ride my tri bike... I never thought it was wierd... I also use my disc wheel too!ha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're fooling yourself if you think you don't look like a dork anyway... I don't think it matters, but I also don't think it helps you in any way. I wear a well vented road helmet in training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where do the blended helmets fit in this conversation? such as the giro air attack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you feel you get a tangible benefit from it, then I wouldn't waste any time worrying about what others think of it.

That being said, I don't see what real benefit you get from it. It's a helmet, and regular practice is not going to make you more effective at wearing it. One or two long rides is enough to get used to the feeling and know what to expect on race day.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training in an aero helmet is super dorky.
Quote Reply