Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do yo wish you would have done different or known for your first IM
Quote | Reply
So looking back at your first full IM what do you wish you would have known or done different?
Quote Reply
Re: What do yo wish you would have done different or known for your first IM [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used this amazing Slowtwitch resource.
Quote Reply
Re: What do yo wish you would have done different or known for your first IM [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Used this amazing Slowtwitch resource.

Does it tell you how to comment using a pink font?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: What do yo wish you would have done different or known for your first IM [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best advice I've heard is that during the day you will feel great 100 times and awful 100 times. Take either too seriously and you won't finish.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: What do yo wish you would have done different or known for your first IM [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not ever read this forum and interacted with the self appointed experts
Quote Reply
Re: What do yo wish you would have done different or known for your first IM [Stevie G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That its really about feeling strong off the bike to set you up for a good run. Also not to consume too much nutrition on the bike, which will make for a bloated, puke fest during the run.
Quote Reply
Re: What do yo wish you would have done different or known for your first IM [Bubblehead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Train more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1. I researched online a lot prior to my first IM, but only actively used ST as a primary resource afterwards. Almost everything you need is here. Details, inspiration, drama, comedy...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worn the appropriate clothing for the weather conditions (IM Canada)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your not paid to race this... so relax and enjoy the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slow down on lap run of the run. I tried to "make up" time I knew I'd lose lap three because of heat. Yeah, that doesn't work out!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I would have trained harder on the bike. More intense rides. I found training for the bike boring and was often solo, in the summer. I wish I had a power meter of some sort, ans well as a good fit. I had issues on the bike due to fit and it caused me problems for many months after. I finished, but probably should not have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To not over think nutrition. Get your body accustomed to what is on the course and use it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Intensity, intensity, intensity!

I logged craploads of miles, long rides, long runs, long swims at my "go pretty hard" pace. I was certain all the long efforts would give me plenty of fitness and result in a decent race.

Wrong, I don't think I've ever felt so tired coming out of the water and by the time I was finished with the bike (my best two legs of the race) I knew my run would suck. It did, I only made it through mile 10 before the wog started.

I should have cut mileage and spent a lot more time on hard efforts as I was really underprepared for the intensity of the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not drink so much before IM, and drink electrolyte instead of water during IM, such that I would not have been obliged to piss 10 times during the bike loosing 20 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: What do yo wish you would have done different or known for your first IM [trainlighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trainlighter wrote:
Intensity, intensity, intensity!

I logged craploads of miles, long rides, long runs, long swims at my "go pretty hard" pace. I was certain all the long efforts would give me plenty of fitness and result in a decent race.

Wrong, I don't think I've ever felt so tired coming out of the water and by the time I was finished with the bike (my best two legs of the race) I knew my run would suck. It did, I only made it through mile 10 before the wog started.

I should have cut mileage and spent a lot more time on hard efforts as I was really underprepared for the intensity of the race.

My guess is that you didn't taper properly/long enough. You were still tired from the training, not because you didn't do enough intensity.

What I learned in my first IM - I should have gone slower from the start until mile 20 of the marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People have varying opinions about Endurance Nation but the most important thing that I read before my first IM was EN's, "four keys to IM racing." Well worth your time.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike training during the week. A friend told me I needed to bike 80 and have it feel like 60. Never got there. 2nd on way more bike trading and much better result. Hope it helps.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything about race day is different from training. You cannot know what race pace is, except to feel it on race day. Why? Different weather, different course, lack of sleep the night prior and rising quite early, travel related stress, no home cooked pre-race meal, etc.

There is so much different about the days leading into a big race, as well as race day itself, that you should not feel compelled to eat/drink a specific amount, or go any specific pace.

Just be flexible. Trust perceived exertion. Race the the fitness you've got (on race day), not the fitness you wanted (based on estimates from the very best individual workouts you put together in the prior few months).

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply