Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ideal frequency for switching sports
Quote | Reply
I hope everyone is just terrific. My question is hopefully straightforward. To avoid going in the wrong direction, let's say your goal is to be the ultimate indoor triathlete across treadmill running, indoor/erg rowing, and indoor/erg cycling.

I'm guessing there has been some degree of research on this. What is the ideal method of switching between "sports" (cardio mediums) in training? As an example, which of the following is preferable, assuming all have equal distance covered over a 9 week period?
a) 3 rounds back-to-back of: Run 1 mile, Bike 2 Miles, Row 1 mile. Repeat 3X/w. Repeat for 9 weeks.
b) Run 3 miles, Bike 6 miles, Row 3 miles in one workout back-to-back. Repeat 3X/w. Repeat for 9 weeks.
c) Run 9 miles day 1. Bike 18 miles day 2. Row 9 miles day 3. (With rest days in between). Repeat for 9 weeks.
d) Run 9 miles, 3X/w, weeks 1,4, and 7. Bike 18 miles, 3X/W, weeks 2,5, and 8. Row 9 miles, 3X/w, weeks 3, 6, and 9.
e) Run 9 miles, 3X/w, weeks 1-3. Bike 18 miles, 3X/W, weeks 4-6. Row 9 miles, 3X/w, weeks 7-9.
f) Run 9 miles, 2X/w but add a choice (b) day weeks 1-3 . Then same but focus on cycling instead of running. Then same but focus on rowing.
(There are a handful of other combinations, even before you get crazy)

Yes, I realize resting 4d/w isn't ideal and that you'd probably want some variation in your training. I was hoping to start high-level between those 4 options, and then maybe segment into exceptions (e.g., maybe when training VO2Max, you pick "c," but when training endurance you pick "b" or something; or maybe larger folks do better on (b) but smaller folks do best on (f)). And I'm suggesting this is all done on ergs to limit the amount of time wasted switching, changing clothes, going downstairs to a pool, etc. If there have been any studies done on this, that would be particularly interesting.

The key issues I can think of are:
a) Overtraining of particular areas;
b) Significant semi-concentrated work being required to boost any one area significantly, whereas modest work needed for maintenance (the 3:1 rule);
c) being really pathetic at something and recovering slowly from it if you have nearly no recent experience with it; and
d) Trade-off between peripheral/muscular oxidative/endurance adaptations and central/heart adaptations.

..but I don't actually know what the right answer is.
Quote Reply
Re: Ideal frequency for switching sports [JustinM23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds pretty complicated!

I try to keep it simple and have the same structure each week: 4-5 swim, 4-5 bike, 5-6 runs(trying to follow BarryP Plan). Full rest day as needed. I have a VASA Erg, so I I use it 2-3x a week and try to get to the pool 2-3x a week. Indoor bike trainer Tue, Wed, Thur, and Sat. Treadmill used rarely, only used for intervals Tue or Thur or if weather is BAD on other days.

Mon: AM Long swim
Tue: AM Swim Cords/Vasa + 1hr Bike interval, Noon Mid distance run
Wed AM 2hr Bike + Transition Run
Thur AM Swim Cords/Vasa + 1hr Bike interval, Noon Mid distance run
Fri AM Long Swim, Noon Easy Run
Sat AM Long Run, Noon Easy Swim/Vasa or Bike
Sat AM Long Bike, Noon Easy Run
Quote Reply
Re: Ideal frequency for switching sports [JustinM23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on what your limitations area and your goals (specific race?) With unlimited time available and a specific race date I would complete a classic periodized program for all 3, trying to maintain a reasonable volume, then sprinkling in some intensity and finally structured intensity and reduced volume as race day approaches. I would probably train 7 days per week with 2 workouts per day some days. You did say "ultimate" indoor triathlete.

If you are time constrained, and have a job like most people, I would keep it really simple, maybe a brick one day, and row the next, then a day off and repeat. Perhaps alternate the bricks between longer bike, shorter run and shorter bike, longer run.

Just training consistently for months at a time, regardless of protocol, is going to be the 80% solution.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply