Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Current cassette gearing/cogs - how to read
Quote | Reply
Simple question: Currently running 105s, 11 speed on my road bike. Want to make sure my new build has same gearing setup. I know the crankset is 50-34, however how do I read the cassette?

Cogs read: 32A, 28B, 25C, 22B, 20B, 18C, 16B, and 14-11A

is this 11-32? Or?

Also, short of counting links how do you know chain size? Or is this a "get a bigger one, and add a quick link where needed." type of situation?

Sorry for the rookie questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Current cassette gearing/cogs - how to read [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it seems your cassette is 11-32. You can always count the cogs (teeth) by hand to be sure. :-)

Why do you need to know chain length? Why do you assume your current bike has optimal chain length? Chains are sold one size and then you shorten it to your needs.

This is a good resource to learn about all things associated with bicycle maintenance, including how to select optimal chain length:
http://sheldonbrown.com/...djustment.html#chain

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sheldon Brown site is the place to go but also pay attention to crank length as it plays a role in the ratio too.
Last edited by: racin_rusty: Aug 29, 15 13:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Simple question: Currently running 105s, 11 speed on my road bike. Want to make sure my new build has same gearing setup. I know the crankset is 50-34, however how do I read the cassette?

is this 11-32? Or?
Are you trolling us? You have the cassette - look at it and count the cogs.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Current cassette gearing/cogs - how to read [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Culley22 wrote:

is this 11-32? Or?
Are you trolling us? You have the cassette - look at it and count the cogs.

I wish I could blame my ignorance on a trolling thread...alas, I just had no clue. The cogs say the number on the side...but I wasn't sure if that is what translated over to the "11-32" when it comes to cassettes.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't screw something up during this process. Especially since I rarely ever see an "11-32" being mentioned in discussions.

I did apologize for the rookie question initially.
Last edited by: Culley22: Aug 29, 15 15:28
Quote Reply
Re: Current cassette gearing/cogs - how to read [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
Why do you need to know chain length? Why do you assume your current bike has optimal chain length? Chains are sold one size and then you shorten it to your needs.

This is a good resource to learn about all things associated with bicycle maintenance, including how to select optimal chain length:
http://sheldonbrown.com/...djustment.html#chain
I...hadn't thought about my current chain set up being incorrect (however the LBS I went to wasn't all that great). I was just trying to have "compatible" setups for the wheels ect (so I can use the road wheels as training wheels on the tri bike).

I have read that chains can be made to fit (and I planned on it), but figured since I was asking newbie (re: stupid) questions, I should get them all out there. :)
Quote Reply