Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just put the pioneer on my P3 2 days ago. Did my first ride with it yesterday. I got an amazing deal on it with the Pioneer computer for under 1,000 so I had to pull the trigger. Lots of data on the pioneer software. It will take a bit to learn how to analyze all of it but so far so good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the one you don't mention that so many insiders scratch their heads and wonder why it's not the top selling power meter is the one by pioneer.

this right here. I am replacing two SRM's right now with Pioneer power meters. the head units are easier to use than any head unit, including Garmin, the software offers more data than sadly I know what to do with and it is very consistent, it also gives left/right power readings to be slightly more accurate. You can't say one is more accurate than the other because once they settle in they all have slightly different readings. I am not pedal guy as I've yet to meet an athlete around here that has had a great experience and the hub is different point of watts being delivered. just my two cents

Kirk Noyes

Downtubes are for Dinosaurs

Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [Backatit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone has given you a direct reply. MegaExo is FSA's threaded BB for 24mm spindles. You basically just need an appropriately threaded bottom bracket (usually English, sometimes Italian). Easiest would be to stick with the megaexo and get a gossamer model (cheap too, $499 at the moment). That way, you can keep your bottom bracket as long as it's not worn out. Also possible to upgrade your crank if that's desired, you just need the appropriate BB in that case (and changing is quite easy if you have a BB tool).
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [albertsonrm1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
albertsonrm1 wrote:
I don't think anyone has given you a direct reply. MegaExo is FSA's threaded BB for 24mm spindles. You basically just need an appropriately threaded bottom bracket (usually English, sometimes Italian). Easiest would be to stick with the megaexo and get a gossamer model (cheap too, $499 at the moment). That way, you can keep your bottom bracket as long as it's not worn out. Also possible to upgrade your crank if that's desired, you just need the appropriate BB in that case (and changing is quite easy if you have a BB tool).
I appreciate you Breaking it down in simple form for a rookie to understand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would that just be the Power2Max Classic, or would their newer version (also Gossamer, I believe) also be compatible? Thanks for your help.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/10327392
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [jenniferpelota] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would be identical for non-386 EVO gossamer. If you go 386 EVO, you'll need the MegaEvo bottom bracket, which threads in like the MegaExo, but accommodates the 30mm spindle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing could be easier from a compatibility, setup, maintenance, download, upload, analyze, etc than buying a PowerTap wheel and just using it.

I hear a ton of complaints from my buddies who run Stages or Vector - I'd run away from those.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [shacking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know you can change the tyres and tubes for race day ay?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shacking wrote:
hmmm... "everything you say isnt true".... not sure how to respond to that, except to politely and respectfully disagree. Please define "fairly successfully" as well regarding your racing?

My intention is to provide helpful information. If understanding the rolling resistance properties of bike tires is of no interest, then there is not reason to read further... The issue with a powertap hub is it directs the decision about using the same wheel for both racing and training, a topic which should be unrelated to the quality of the meter. Powertap has a good reputation, and is a good value buy. (Hey, that is why I bought one!)

Before making a big purchase, the issue of what wheels the rider will both race and train on needs to be investigated and intelligently answered. Many of my friends race/train on the same wheels. Many of them have no idea the difference between tires. Many race/train on the same wheel only because they bought a powertap... they are stuck. And that is my point. If you buy a powertap hub, you are stuck with that decision.

Faster tires are made of thinner rubber. Even faster tires are made of latex tubes and not butyl tubes, making them faster, but they puncture easier. Not only are they less durable for regular training, they are more expensive. These are some of the issues which this thread hadnt yet addressed, which I wanted to bring up to be helpful.

Thank you

If you're talking about latex tubes in the bolded part above, you're wrong about that.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree latex tubes most definitely do not puncture easier and they ride far nicer. I'm a bit of a lagger on this, I'm using a wired powertap - works just fine. Just a bit awkward getting the GPS data merged to the power file. Other than that inconvenience it works fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
shacking wrote:
hmmm... "everything you say isnt true".... not sure how to respond to that, except to politely and respectfully disagree. Please define "fairly successfully" as well regarding your racing?

My intention is to provide helpful information. If understanding the rolling resistance properties of bike tires is of no interest, then there is not reason to read further... The issue with a powertap hub is it directs the decision about using the same wheel for both racing and training, a topic which should be unrelated to the quality of the meter. Powertap has a good reputation, and is a good value buy. (Hey, that is why I bought one!)

Before making a big purchase, the issue of what wheels the rider will both race and train on needs to be investigated and intelligently answered. Many of my friends race/train on the same wheels. Many of them have no idea the difference between tires. Many race/train on the same wheel only because they bought a powertap... they are stuck. And that is my point. If you buy a powertap hub, you are stuck with that decision.

Faster tires are made of thinner rubber. Even faster tires are made of latex tubes and not butyl tubes, making them faster, but they puncture easier. Not only are they less durable for regular training, they are more expensive. These are some of the issues which this thread hadnt yet addressed, which I wanted to bring up to be helpful.

Thank you

If you're talking about latex tubes in the bolded part above, you're wrong about that.
So what you're saying is everything he says isn't true?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
albertsonrm1 wrote:
Does the same go for the newer type S, as long as I purchase the FSA Gossamer then there is no need to change the BB?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great...thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It *is* overwhelming and I feel like I'm pretty well informed after having various discussions with people to help narrow down the viable choices. My gut says that the world needs a simple web site where you answer a set of questions about your needs and preferences and it narrows down your choices. It wouldn't eliminate doing your homework but it might be nice to prune the list a bit.

Hm... now I'm sketching on paper and thinking of building it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm waiting for Powertap or Power2Max for 11s Ultegra to get down around $300 before I buy - my guesstimate is a 2-3 year wait.
Last edited by: kfmfe04: Aug 31, 15 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [kfmfe04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's worth nothing that $300 is cheaper than a standard Red22 and DA9000 crank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also always shoot the people at P2M a line, they've always been helpful to me and my friends who have one. And good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If understanding the rolling resistance properties of bike tires is of no interest, then there is not reason to read further... Before making a big purchase, the issue of what wheels the rider will both race and train on needs to be investigated and intelligently answered. Many of my friends race/train on the same wheels. Many of them have no idea the difference between tires. Many race/train on the same wheel only because they bought a powertap... they are stuck. And that is my point. If you buy a powertap hub, you are stuck with that decision.

I'm confused.

What does using the same tires for racing and training have to do with this? You certainly aren't stuck with that if you use a Powertap.

And if you build a reasonably strong wheel that is suitable for training, it will be just fine for TTs.

Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My gut says that the world needs a simple web site where you answer a set of questions about your needs and preferences and it narrows down your choices.

Imagine what it was like before the internet.

Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
If understanding the rolling resistance properties of bike tires is of no interest, then there is not reason to read further... Before making a big purchase, the issue of what wheels the rider will both race and train on needs to be investigated and intelligently answered. Many of my friends race/train on the same wheels. Many of them have no idea the difference between tires. Many race/train on the same wheel only because they bought a powertap... they are stuck. And that is my point. If you buy a powertap hub, you are stuck with that decision.

I'm confused.

What does using the same tires for racing and training have to do with this? You certainly aren't stuck with that if you use a Powertap.

And if you build a reasonably strong wheel that is suitable for training, it will be just fine for TTs.

You're confused because you're trying to understand something that doesn't make sense. My condolences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shacking wrote:

Thank you

You do realize you can change tires without changing wheels - right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another data field suggest would be the type of rings. I'm running the same Shimano Ultegra 11sp/Di2 cranks for road and cross but using 46/36T for cx and 52/36T for road. The only commonality between the two bikes is the crankset. Pedals and wheelsets are different. As far as I can tell, this rules out most options for me except for the Quarq Elsa RS, 4iiii because of what I want for chainrings. I'm not planning to race cross with the PM, but I'd like to have it on my CX bike for training from July to October.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter shopping....overwhelmed [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
It's built into spider and NDS crank arm. Really only a good option if you already run Shimano cranks. You also need to use their head unit to get all the data output by cranks if I am not mistaken (such as power vectors and such).

I would like to try one, but haven't been given enough incentive yet. They need to make it easier for people to get them (employees, ambassadors, etc) because their market share is so low that nobody in any given community has one and therefore word doesn't spread. Or something like that.

Send me a PM and I can connect you.
-SD
Quote Reply

Prev Next