Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the classic version. Basic bottle cage (right now I'm using Profile) and zip-ties. Simple, cheap and I can use any bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I brought an aero z , but found the magnets for the straw weren't strong enough for the rough roads a lot of our TTs. Spent most of the last 50 miler fishing the straw up and re-attaching.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep reading reviews on these things and in this particular thread, and I just can't understand why it seems to be so difficult for a company to come up with something that is actually good and doesn't have issues.

First off, I would think a well designed bracket is the FIRST thing that these companies need to come up with. I tried using zip ties with a standard cage on my aero bars and the first time I went out for a ride with a full bottle of water I hit a big pot hole and one of the zip ties broke, and the bottle went flying. That was all I needed to see to convince me that the zip tie setup sucks.

Second, you need to be able to fill the thing on the fly and have it actually stay in the bottle without splashing out all over the place as you ride. Again, this should not be THAT difficult a thing to design. Yet, half of these things either push in and fail all together or splash all over the place (at least from the reviews I've read).

Third, you need something that will actually allow you to suck out the water without having to 'search' for it with the straw. Again, not particularly difficult a task to take care of. I also want an aero straw that I don't need to search for with my mouth.

Fourth, I want something that I can clean easily. I don't know about anyone else, but my standard water bottles seem to like to grow black mold in the bottom even though I make sure they are completely dry when I store them.

Lastly, it would be nice to be able to take the aero bottle off and use the cage for a standard water bottle if I want to for whatever reason.

So basically, from what I've seen if you mashed together the Xlab Torpedo and the Torhans aeroZ you would be getting pretty close to something that satisfies all of these criteria, but by themselves, they seem to have issues that everyone complains about. Makes it difficult for me to want to go out and spend the $$$ on one of these two setups.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell you that the XLAB TriSports Zipp combination will give you everything you want on your list. The bottle will not move, it doesn't splash, the straw makes drinking really easy, it's very sturdy, and it's easy to clean. You can also use a regular bottle with the XLAB Torpedo cage. When approaching a bottle handoff, I can refill my torpedo and spray water all over myself to cool down before I even hit the trash can to throw it away. This setup just works perfectly

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Aug 28, 15 16:30
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$180 for a hydration system. Jeesh!! Besides the price, my biggest complaint (knit picking) is that the computer mount is not removable. I no longer use a computer setup on the bike since I now own a Garmin 920. It would be nice to be able to remove that and just run the bottle setup without having an empty computer mount sticking out in the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keqwow wrote:
$180 for a hydration system. Jeesh!! Besides the price, my biggest complaint (knit picking) is that the computer mount is not removable. I no longer use a computer setup on the bike since I now own a Garmin 920. It would be nice to be able to remove that and just run the bottle setup without having an empty computer mount sticking out in the front.

If you have a 920, why aren't you using the quick release?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why bother for one. Just another time-suck in transition. Plus, I am not a huge fan of huge watches. I never owned the 910 because it was just too big. The 920 was at least acceptable. But when you add the quick-release to the back of the 920 it stands out off the wrist more than I think I would find acceptable.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on zip ties...

That's what I'm using BTA. It's simple, cheap, light weight, aero, easily replaceable, fits any size bars etc...

If you want to spend money on a system so you can have a straw with quick fill that makes sense but if you're just going to put a normal bottle there then you might as well go zip ties!!![/url][/img]
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [Li0nel1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a suggestion on how I can just mount a bottle cage between your aero bars?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zip ties is the easiest way.most systems only use Velcro and end up being less secure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am running Profile Design HC with a 2 bar setup. It is pretty good, and spills very little because the bars don't flex very much. The whole setup was - $42 for the bottle+cage from some no name Korean website (BicycleHero), and $11 for the HC bars from Amazon (comes with another cage btw). In theory you can get away with just the bars and any bottle. but i like the ability to drink and fill up without taking the bottle out. The only downside is that the front facing portion of the bottle is made of black plastic which gets pretty warm after 3-4 hours in the sun. Not an issue obviously if you're racing since you can just grab a cold bottle from an aid station.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been debating this same thing for a few days now... I am getting the trisports zipp bta combo. Also have a xlabs gorilla xt xage to use. Now I need to decide between the xlabs torpedo or the PD HC aero bottle. They both seem pretty similar.

I used to have a torpedo and it spilled all the time. My shoes and bike was covered in Gatorade and it was awful. This is keeping me from trying it again but I may just had a bad bottle. Also xlabs is developing a new bottle that is supposed to reduce spillage that I may want to try. Xlabs is supposed to be more "aero" between the 2 bottles but haven't seen any comparison data.

The PD bottle looks easy to clean and has a sealable cap that will reduce spilling. I also like the vertical straw.

Decisions. Decisions. May have to get both to try them out for a few rides and return the one that doesn't work as well.

Chirag
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [cpatel529] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chirag - can I help with your old Torpedo spilling? Perhaps I can shed some light on why it was spilling if you let me know where the liquid was escaping.

We are coming out with a new bottle - should start shipping in a few weeks! It will first be available as the Refill Upgrade Kit and spare bottle versions - which works in your favor if you are getting the Trisports BTA system.

The Torpedo does include 2 different lids, one that is open, one that is solid. I would say the usage of the caps is about 50/50. It really comes down to personal preference. I can say the solid cap though is very easy to open/close after refilling - I use this one.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Candice - XLAB wrote:
Hi Chirag - can I help with your old Torpedo spilling? Perhaps I can shed some light on why it was spilling if you let me know where the liquid was escaping.

We are coming out with a new bottle - should start shipping in a few weeks! It will first be available as the Refill Upgrade Kit and spare bottle versions - which works in your favor if you are getting the Trisports BTA system.

The Torpedo does include 2 different lids, one that is open, one that is solid. I would say the usage of the caps is about 50/50. It really comes down to personal preference. I can say the solid cap though is very easy to open/close after refilling - I use this one.

Candice,
The liquid was always coming out of the opening that you use to fill the bottle. It would make a mess of my bike and I would have sticky gatorade everything. I always used the solid cap. Was very frustrating. I sold it a while ago for the Torhans setup but now that I modified my bike, I am thinking about giving the XLabs bottle a try again. I ordered the Tri Sports BTA system and have a Gorilla XT cage that I am going to use. TriSports had the new bottle for pre-order but it said that it wasnt going to be available till end of December this year.

Chirag
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps it was coming out of the small hole that is in the cap. The good news is the new bottle that has the breather valve, will have a completely solid lid - no hole needed in the cap anymore.

I will check with Seton on the dates, but we should be able to to get some out to them by end of this month, so expect that date to move up.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the TriSports and Xlab BTA system. I would have waited for the Xlab Versa system to come out. As much as I love the Zipp Vuka BTA with the TriSports bracket, being able to move your computer when the sun hits it is worth the money to upgrade.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next