Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ledecky sets second WR in 1500 free and other Day 3 highlights...
Quote | Reply
Katie does it again, winning the 1500 in another new WR (15:25.48) by almost 15 sec over silver medalist Lauren Boyle of New Zealand. In other WC news, Guy James of GBR edged out Sun Yang in the 200 free by 0.06 sec, with Biederman of Germany 3rd and Lochte of the U.S. 4th. Matt Grevers of the U.S. took 3rd in 100 back and Missy Franklin 5th in women's 100 back. In the 200 free semis, Missy qualified 2nd and Katie 6th for the 200 free final. Also, Katinka Hosszu of Hungary qualified 4th for the 200 free final, as she goes for her 2nd medal after winning the 200 IM in WR time yesterday (3 Aug 2015). I think she's swimming 6 or 7 events.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Aug 4, 15 11:52
Quote Reply
Re: Ledekie sets second WR in 1500 free and other Day 3 highlights... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure Ledecky should be considered "America's Sweetheart" over Franklin now. The rest of the men's and women's team look bad, real bad. There was no "call me maybe" video to pull the team together before the competition started!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ledekie sets second WR in 1500 free and other Day 3 highlights... [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The US selection process has been widely criticised, they picked the Worlds team last year. I know it makes me seem somewhat petty, but I'm really happy that Guy beat Yang. effin doper. Dunno what happened to McEvoy though, he went 2 secs slower in finals than in semis.

It also looks like Ledecky (Eric, that's Ledecky, not Ledeckie) squeaked into the 200 final, she qualified in 6th, 0.25 ahead of 9th place. Should be a close final.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Ledekie sets second WR in 1500 free and other Day 3 highlights... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sure hope this meet serves as a wake up call for the US team. If I didn't know better, i would have thought that they swam through this meet. Thats what the performances sure looked like. We need Phelps back in the line up, and a new taper program..
Quote Reply
Re: Ledecky sets second WR in 1500 free and other Day 3 highlights... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The US selection process has been widely criticized, they picked the Worlds team last year. I know it makes me seem somewhat petty, but I'm really happy that Guy beat Yang. effin doper. Dunno what happened to McEvoy though, he went 2 secs slower in finals than in semis.

It also looks like Ledecky (Eric, that's Ledecky, not Ledeckie) squeaked into the 200 final, she qualified in 6th, 0.25 ahead of 9th place. Should be a close final.

Correction made:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ledekie sets second WR in 1500 free and other Day 3 highlights... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if I think that it was the selection process entirely. I think the american men are aging and had their run, and the young guys aren't quite ready. France will undergo the same dilemma real soon. Great britain, brazil, and canada are all young and ready (or very soon will be). Sadly enough even if the selection process was this year, the american team would have been almost identical (at least on the men's side). Really don't mean to rip on the american men, they did great things for a number of years and were as "iconic" as superheroes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ledekie sets second WR in 1500 free and other Day 3 highlights... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, Missy isn't swimming badly so far, albeit not at her best. Lochte was solid in the 2 free (out of the medals, but in the hunt in a really tight race), which bodes well for the IM. Sheilds has a shot at a medal in the 2 fly, don't think he'll win though. Lazlo Cseh has some smokin times in heats and semis there, it looks like his race to lose.

Main thing though is that the squad was picked last year. There were athletes at Pan Ams who should have gone to Worlds, like Allison Schmidt.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Ledekie sets second WR in 1500 free and other Day 3 highlights... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, Missy isn't swimming badly so far, albeit not at her best. Lochte was solid in the 2 free (out of the medals, but in the hunt in a really tight race), which bodes well for the IM. Sheilds has a shot at a medal in the 2 fly, don't think he'll win though. Lazlo Cseh has some smokin times in heats and semis there, it looks like his race to lose. //

Don't make excuses, it is the worst meet I can remember, and I can remember back to the 70's. Of course we will have a medal here and there, but we should be atop the medal standings, certainly no worse than 2nd. And not even close to qualifying on the relay? And I don't buy that our guys and gals are too old either.Late 20's and early 30's is not too old. And we have some younger folks stepping in too. Something is amiss here, not sure what it is..
Quote Reply
Re: Ledekie sets second WR in 1500 free and other Day 3 highlights... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really think that there is just more parity at the world class level now, the days of US dominance are over. No question, the US is still the deepest, but other countries actually have government funding / support for their Olympic-track athletes. The French in particular were really pissed about losing in '08, and they aren't letting that happen again. Up here, we've started to do that with the National training centre in BC, and now in Toronto at the new Pan Am facility. The results are starting to show. I'm not claiming Santo Condorelli as a product of our system, but there are a few young guys and girls coming through. Yuri Kisil is showing a lot of promise, as is Richard Funk, and a few others.

What needs to happen is that the US athletes need to realize that making the US team isn't enough, it is no longer the automatic berth in the finals that it once was, even on relays.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Ledekie sets second WR in 1500 free and other Day 3 highlights... [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coughlin at Pan Ams has a faster 100 back than the American women at WCs.

Kelsi Worrell at Pan Ams had a faster 100 fly than the American women at WC.

I think Katie Melli's 100 breast at Pan Ams was faster than Jess Hardy or Micah Lawrence in Kazam.

Depending on Simone Manuel, the Pan Ams 4x100 MR could be faster than the squad they sent to WCs

Would have been nice to have Allison Schmidt's 1:56 as a 4x200 FR option and Schmidt and Coughlin for the 4x100 FR.

But La Belle Ledecky. There is something beautiful about someone dominating a very world class field like that. Boyle's 15:40 was, I think third best by someone not named Ledecky and 5th place was a 15:52.
Quote Reply
Re: Ledekie sets second WR in 1500 free and other Day 3 highlights... [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the men?
Quote Reply