Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best ANT+ computer for <$200
Quote | Reply
I've been chewing on the idea of upgrading my current computer (Sigma 1606) to something that's ANT+... pretty much solely for the purpose of getting on ZWIFT. I don't have a power meter and I don't have a smart trainer & I have a hard time convincing myself with a wife & 2 young children that I should spend ~$1000+ on one of the above mentioned tools. I've hated riding my trainer for as long as I've had it (~8 years), though this year with just some drive, Netflix, Sufferfest Videos, etc, I've actually begun to really love the trainer & how I can get the exact workout I want with no worries of stop signs, stop lights, traffic, a-hole drivers, my safety, etc.

I love the idea of ZWIFT and am looking to upgrade my computer to be able to use it, but again, without breaking the bank.

Regards,

Nate
Quote Reply
Re: Best ANT+ computer for <$200 [Nates78ski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power meter game has changed...$1k is a lot to spend now. You can get a Power2Max for $500 or Powertap for $700 when it comes out. You can find a used Powertap wheel for even less than $500.

Get a used Garmin/Polar/Suunto watch and a cheap used PM and you'll have a much better solution for a fair amount under $1k. If you're going to put the effort into training inside, get some value from it, no? This is time you're spending "away" from your family so it only makes sense to use it wisely, otherwise you'll spend more hours for less benefit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you currently have as Garmin multisport watch? Can't you use that for ZWIFTing?

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can get the garmin fr310xt for some 150$ and it's still good for running and ow swimming
Quote Reply
Re: Best ANT+ computer for <$200 [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got just a Garmin FR60, I don't think that will do much for Zwift

Nate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are some great sales on the 901xt if you look around. I bought mine brand new a month ago on sale at $149. So well under $200 and can be used in all three sports if you wish. I think in Canada anyway, that Best buy sells it for $199 right now. That doesn't include the heart rate strap

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're talking about a laptop or desktop computer - not a bike computer, right? Zwift will record all of your data and send it to Strava so you don't need to a Garmin watch/bike computer to do that for you. Assuming I am correct, the most important component for running Zwift is the video card. On the suggestion from the great support staff at Zwift, I just purchased an Alienware Alpha. At less than $400, its about the cheapest computer you can find that will run Zwift at the top level. Its pretty great. I highly recommend. Good luck. Ryan
EDIT: And, make sure you buy a 6-10' USB extender so you can get the ANT+ dongle closer to you (for heart rate) and your bike (for speed/cadence and the power meter you will ultimately purchase).
Last edited by: rlhbusl: Aug 4, 15 7:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may be missing something, but what would an ANT+ head unit do for Zwift? I have plenty of garmin devices, but I never use any of them while using Zwift. All you need is a PC, an ANT+ dongle, and an ANT+ Speed sensor.

Are you asking what Laptop/Desktop PC you could buy that is powerful enough to run Zwift?
Quote Reply
Re: Best ANT+ computer for <$200 [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My apologies, so I just need sigma ANT+ speed & cadence sensors & an ANT+ dongle? That way they'll still work for my cyclocomputer, but also transmit for Zwift?

Nate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I see what your asking. I dont know of any speed sensors that will transmit BOTH to your sigma and Zwift.

If you want to Awift you will need 2 things (in addition to a PC)
An ant+ speed sensor like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JLMS848/
An Ant+ Dongle http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YJSD20

The Cheapest option would be to have both the ANT+ and the Sigma sensors on the bike at the same time. If you wanted to just have one sensor on teh bike you would need an ANT+ head unit. I the latter case I would look at the slowtwitch classifieds and pick up a Garmin 910xt, should be around $150 and works for running and swimming also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nates78ski wrote:
My apologies, so I just need sigma ANT+ speed & cadence sensors & an ANT+ dongle? That way they'll still work for my cyclocomputer, but also transmit for Zwift?

check out the 'getting started' page. Basically you just need an Ant+ dongle, and an ant+ speed & cadence sensor.

I'm unfamiliar with the sigma headunit, but you the ant+ speed and cadence sensor can transmit to both an ant+ headunit and ant+ dongle at the same time. But to be clear, you absolutely do NOT need a headunit when using zwift. Zwift will record and display all the information and then save the ride file for you to upload to whatever site you choose (strava, trainingpeaks, etc). Hope that helps.
Last edited by: racehd: Aug 4, 15 9:59
Quote Reply
Re: Best ANT+ computer for <$200 [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... I think for all that I may just get a new computer that's ANT+ with all the sensors. Otherwise, I'll have two speed sensors, two cadence, and I don't want that Garmin 910... that thing's pretty ugly. Thank you for all your help though. It's nice to have a clearer idea of what I need. Also, you guys mentioned the computer (PC) needs to be a pretty well equipped one, right? Like a 2GB graphics card?

Nate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nates78ski wrote:
Hmmm... I think for all that I may just get a new computer that's ANT+ with all the sensors. Otherwise, I'll have two speed sensors, two cadence, and I don't want that Garmin 910... that thing's pretty ugly. Thank you for all your help though. It's nice to have a clearer idea of what I need. Also, you guys mentioned the computer (PC) needs to be a pretty well equipped one, right? Like a 2GB graphics card?

If you have Ant+ sensors the broadcast can be picked up on two or more devices (computer with USB dongle and bike computer head unit, for example) so no need to double up. On the computer you do need a fairly modern video card.
Quote Reply