Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to store latex tubes (in hot and humid countries)?
Quote | Reply
Still on the latex tube topic:

In the Philippines (about 30-35 centigrade and 80-100% humidity year round), my old latex tubes have become either a sticky mess (that tears more easily than bubble gum) or dry and crumbly.

A LBS once sold michelin latex tubes, but they got old in storage, and were dry and crumbly (I bought one, inflated it, and it popped/teared almost immediately; got a refund).

Still... there are tubulars sold here, and they do have latex tubes in them, right? Hmmm...

Anyway, since I am saving my latex tubes for race only, I am putting them in a ziplock plastic bag and putting them in the fridge. I hope that works (I buy new latex tubes for major races -- not locally, but from Amazon or ebay, not because I want new tubes, but because the old latex just deteriorates/rots. Am thinking it's because of the climate?)
Quote Reply
Re: How to store latex tubes (in hot and humid countries)? [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you're doing sounds effective. You might even consider sealing them in a glass jar put in the fridge for even a bit more security from oxygen and moisture exposure.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: How to store latex tubes (in hot and humid countries)? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(sigh) My wife already is upset with all the stuff in the fridge (still have lots of 120/220 and 35mm film in there), and another jar might get her more upset, haha. I'm trying to keep it discreet in the fridge, so might stick with the ziplock plastic bag... :)
Quote Reply
Re: How to store latex tubes (in hot and humid countries)? [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alfalfameister wrote:
(sigh) My wife already is upset with all the stuff in the fridge (still have lots of 120/220 and 35mm film in there), and another jar might get her more upset, haha. I'm trying to keep it discreet in the fridge, so might stick with the ziplock plastic bag... :)

If you can get them, be sure to use the "freezer ziplocks" as they are much thicker and therefore less permeable.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Re: How to store latex tubes (in hot and humid countries)? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Hugh. I use the freezer type ones (I also do a lot of sous vide cooking). :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you heard of putting baby powder in the bag and shaking it around to coat the tubes?
Quote Reply
Re: How to store latex tubes (in hot and humid countries)? [GAUG3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. In my climate, it turns it dry and crumbly (as opposed to sticky/melty and tears easily).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most tubulars do NOT have latex tubes.

What you are doing sounds good to me. I would probably put the tubes in a zip lock bag, and then put the bag in an air-tight container. The fridge would certainly be better than 35° 90% humidity. Another place would be somewhere inside the house if it has air conditioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alfalfameister wrote:
Still on the latex tube topic:

In the Philippines (about 30-35 centigrade and 80-100% humidity year round), my old latex tubes have become either a sticky mess (that tears more easily than bubble gum) or dry and crumbly.

A LBS once sold michelin latex tubes, but they got old in storage, and were dry and crumbly (I bought one, inflated it, and it popped/teared almost immediately; got a refund).

Still... there are tubulars sold here, and they do have latex tubes in them, right? Hmmm...

Anyway, since I am saving my latex tubes for race only, I am putting them in a ziplock plastic bag and putting them in the fridge. I hope that works (I buy new latex tubes for major races -- not locally, but from Amazon or ebay, not because I want new tubes, but because the old latex just deteriorates/rots. Am thinking it's because of the climate?)

I can't promise this will work, I'm in the "testing" phase myself. I live in Sacramento and last year found that one tube that had air exposure (and, indirect sunlight - in my garage) dried out in the 3cm space where the box flap had been opened. So, my test is. put tubes in box they came in (w/extender; so I don't lose them). put in small paper bag, roll up tight and vacuum seal. My first test was only about a month, and they were fine. Once the race season is over then they'll be stored for half a year - I'll bet they'll be fine.

What we do to save a few seconds here and there... -_-

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: How to store latex tubes (in hot and humid countries)? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you thought of using a vaccuum sealer? ( you are doing sous vide, and I find this SO much better than the archimedes principle and ziplocs ). 2 birds, 1 stone
Quote Reply
Re: How to store latex tubes (in hot and humid countries)? [Trizomb1e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trizomb1e wrote:
Have you thought of using a vaccuum sealer? ( you are doing sous vide, and I find this SO much better than the archimedes principle and ziplocs ). 2 birds, 1 stone

I am using a vacuum sealer (I said so in my post). but, I wrap them in a paper bag first to protect from light.

I use my vacuum sealer for all kinds of food items, and, assuming the seal "holds" - then food preserves well. To be fair, I don't intend to eat my latex tubes - but, who knows? New research published here on ST might prove that eating latex tubes will make you more aerodynamic and shave 3 seconds from a 40k TT :-|

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: How to store latex tubes (in hot and humid countries)? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Trizomb1e wrote:

I am using a vacuum sealer (I said so in my post). but, I wrap them in a paper bag first to protect from light.

I use my vacuum sealer for all kinds of food items, and, assuming the seal "holds" - then food preserves well. To be fair, I don't intend to eat my latex tubes - but, who knows? New research published here on ST might prove that eating latex tubes will make you more aerodynamic and shave 3 seconds from a 40k TT :-|

This is ST, you expect me to actually read all of this? :) \pink

Eating Latex for 3 sec/40k.... hmmm BRB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we keep everything in A/C including the bikes (since we live at the beach rust is a huge concern also). I haven't noticed any problem wtih tubes on the longest (5 hour) training ride but i also rarely flat. sounds like our weather is the same but we do dip down to the high teens on very rare ocassions in teh winter. our summer is Feb through Nov. :) temps generally in those months at least 30 and normally 32 to 33 and up to 35. dunno what numbers our humidity is but i know it is super high - enough we shower 3 x day.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: How to store latex tubes (in hot and humid countries)? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
we keep everything in A/C including the bikes (since we live at the beach rust is a huge concern also). I haven't noticed any problem wtih tubes on the longest (5 hour) training ride but i also rarely flat. sounds like our weather is the same but we do dip down to the high teens on very rare ocassions in teh winter. our summer is Feb through Nov. :) temps generally in those months at least 30 and normally 32 to 33 and up to 35. dunno what numbers our humidity is but i know it is super high - enough we shower 3 x day.

Kathy,

Are you using latex tubes? We're talking about the pink, beige, or green translucent ones not the black butyl ones which seem to tolerate nearly all conditions quite well.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh golly, i'm an idiot. i had no idea that there was anything other than a black (normal) tube. (cue Gilda Ratner impression)...nevermind.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: How to store latex tubes (in hot and humid countries)? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
oh golly, i'm an idiot. i had no idea that there was anything other than a black (normal) tube. (cue Gilda Ratner impression)...nevermind.

and here I was being super impressed that you'd embraced high performance technology;)

Hugh

Quote Reply