Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Reverse tri that began at Mt Washington summit
Quote | Reply
Cool story about a group of Navy SEALS that put on their own event which started on the summit of Mt Washington (running down the autoroad is a killer on the lower back, glutes and quads - I've done it and it wasn't fun), followed by an 83-mile ride to Sebago Lake in Maine (beautiful spot) and then a four-mile swim across the lake to raise funds for a local kids camp. Interesting way to put a different spin on the sport!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/...gfIIKcF3M/story.html

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Reverse tri that began at Mt Washington summit [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I signed up for, but never competed in (family emergency) in an 'ironman' race in 1980. It was put on by Robin Judkins who went on to run the Coast to Coast race here in NZ.

The IM race was skiing down a mountain in spring time. When the snow ran out strap your skis to your back and run to the river. At the river, jump in a kayak and paddle further than you thought you could :-)

I'd just finished a season of hiking and mountaineering, followed by a season teaching skiing. I was as' fit as a robbers dog'. Being 19, I thought that as soon as I could find a kayak, I'd be destined for greatness. :-)

While I didn't actually do the race, the IM thing stuck with me and 15 years later finally managed to finish my first (traditional) IM. Disappointingly, I was crap at it. Bugger

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Reverse tri that began at Mt Washington summit [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year some SEALS swam the 11 mile length of Sebago Lake to raise money for Camp Sunshine. They're going to run out of ways to one-up themselves :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Aug 4, 15 11:31
Quote Reply