Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Water @ Olympic sites in Rio unsafe for swimming and boating [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My typo....Qatar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Water @ Olympic sites in Rio unsafe for swimming and boating [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Acidity is about the only thing in Coke that can kill. The rest is food for bacteria.

You are correct with the PH of coke, but the extreme amounts of sugar in coke can also kill the bacteria. A little sugar is good food for bacteria, lots of sugar will kill them. Notice how pure sugar does not need to be refrigerated? Of course the concentration by the time that it gets to the stomach may not be high enough. Also it does nothing for the pathogens that will infect the lungs.
Quote Reply
Re: Water @ Olympic sites in Rio unsafe for swimming and boating [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Entero- (=gut) Bacteria die off pretty fast when exposed to unfavorable conditions (either in your gut or in the body of water examined).

Viruses (especially those evolved to endure harsh conditions) don't expire that fast. Hostile pH or nutrient depletion doesn't phase them too much.

Tough and nasty cookies.

chaparral wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
Acidity is about the only thing in Coke that can kill. The rest is food for bacteria.

You are correct with the PH of coke, but the extreme amounts of sugar in coke can also kill the bacteria. A little sugar is good food for bacteria, lots of sugar will kill them. Notice how pure sugar does not need to be refrigerated? Of course the concentration by the time that it gets to the stomach may not be high enough. Also it does nothing for the pathogens that will infect the lungs.
Quote Reply
Re: Water @ Olympic sites in Rio unsafe for swimming and boating [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think its pretty clear that prior to Qatar being awarded the world cup, irrespective of the circumstances of that, that FIFA was endemically corrupt for decades - more than 20 years and I think that by the time the officials have been extradited, tried, convicted and jailed (all of which I think is inevitable at this stage) that we'll find that it went wider, deeper and on for longer than is being currently discussed

that said, I guarantee there is one fundamental difference between Qatar and Brazil, which was had Qatar or another Gulf State been awarded the olympics they'd have cleaned that shit up irrespective of cost as they fully understand the PR costs associated with stuff not going to plan and more so because of who and where they are located

Brazil should never have got it, doesn't have the finances or infrastructure to support it, in the same way they shouldn't have had the WC, and I'm not even arguing that Qatar should have, but the difference is that they can afford it and it will be delivered
Quote Reply
Re: Water @ Olympic sites in Rio unsafe for swimming and boating [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I'm not sure that the Olympics will survive this century in their current form.

x2

I'm not sure humanity will survive this century in its current form.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Water @ Olympic sites in Rio unsafe for swimming and boating [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are we really sure this isn't propaganda? I mean Brazil is an innovator all over. These guys really stepped up in '91 and finally made murdering the wife illegal in 1991. I just don't see how something like the water quality might slip through the cracks.
Quote Reply
Re: Water @ Olympic sites in Rio unsafe for swimming and boating [TomTriesTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomTriesTri wrote:
I don't agree with Brett Sutton all of the time, but he was spot on with this one: http://trisutto.com/...-olympic-test-event/

"We also understand that there are issues with the cleanliness of the water.
This will no doubt be cleaned up by 2016 to avoid embarrassment, but I doubt very much it will be completely resolved in 2015. "

Uhhhhhh.... did he write this 4 years ago? It's not going to be cleaned up AT ALL by next summer.

Since I'm not (and never will be) an ITU/Olympic athlete, I certainly can't speak for the contenders. But, if this was me, I'd pass. I've been reading all of the articles I can find on the Rio games the past year (since I have actually been there before in Dec '12) and I'm appalled that the IOC is even allowing the games to happen. The tests the AP have done reveal disgusting, putrid water conditions. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't swim in sewer water for a medal. Maybe I'm missing it, but where is the outrage form the possible participants?? Why isn't the US delegation (or the ITU itself) threatening to pull out altogether unless something is done to clean up the water? The sad reality is, however, that it would take herculean efforts, even more dollars (that haven't been already stolen and squandered) and 24/7 work to get the Bay remotely cleaner. We're talking the bay AND the coastlines. Impossible. I'm SO glad I didn't go in the water when I was there. I had no clue it was that polluted. What happens if an athlete gets a fatal staph infection? People will say it was worth the glory and honor? C'mon.

Awarding the Games to a third-world country that is 30 years behind the rest of the modern world when it comes to infrastructure is a recipe for disaster. I'm hopeful a miracle can be pulled off. But Brazil has such massive poverty and other critical issues that it needs to be dealing with that wasting billions of taxpayer dollars on the Games is despicable (need more proof? See what was wasted on the World Cup stadiums that are sitting idle).

I'd love to hear honest comments from the American squad. But I'm guessing the athletes aren't allowed to speak their minds.
Last edited by: devrock: Aug 4, 15 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: Water @ Olympic sites in Rio unsafe for swimming and boating [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those pathogens and many many compunds are not part of the water quality testing routine of all jurisdictions in the USA as far as I know. Cities, counties and states do not want to know how bad their water really is because they don't have the money to fix the problems. It should be obvious that if these jurisdictions cannot repair our roads and bridges, why does anyone think their water is safe? Here is an article that just barely touches on the problems we face in this country:
http://www.dailyfinance.com/...orst-drinking-water/

World wide, potable water is an ever diminishing resource, and with global warming this issue will be the most important issue for civilization as we know it. California doesn't have a corner on the water shortage market, but to their credit, they are trying to make progress. Most states are doing nothing.

The implications for our sport are obvious, when combined with diminishing air quality in many parts of the world.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Last edited by: Robert: Aug 4, 15 14:18
Quote Reply
Re: Water @ Olympic sites in Rio unsafe for swimming and boating [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, WTC has been proactive and innovative, with allowing snorkels to be used in competition.
In theory, with the right valves, this would allow competitors to tape all up and be safe.

Maybe the ITU should make snorkel use mandatory for Rio?

Robert wrote:
Those pathogens and many many compunds are not part of the water quality testing routine of all jurisdictions in the USA as far as I know. Cities, counties and states do not want to know how bad their water really is because they don't have the money to fix the problems. It should be obvious that if these jurisdictions cannot repair our roads and bridges, why does anyone think their water is safe? Here is an article that just barely touches on the problems we face in this country:
http://www.dailyfinance.com/...orst-drinking-water/

World wide, potable water is an ever diminishing resource, and with global warming this issue will be the most important issue for civilization as we know it. California doesn't have a corner on the water shortage market, but to their credit, they are trying to make progress. Most states are doing nothing.

The implications for our sport are obvious, when combined with diminishing air quality in many parts of the world.

-Robert
Quote Reply
Re: Water @ Olympic sites in Rio unsafe for swimming and boating [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And wetsuits? Maybe someone needs to produce biohazard swimwear for triathlon?

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Well, WTC has been proactive and innovative, with allowing snorkels to be used in competition.
In theory, with the right valves, this would allow competitors to tape all up and be safe.
]

Maybe you were being facetious; if so, apologies extended. USAT has allowed snorkels for at least a couple of decades. In the last few years WTC has added restrictions on when snorkels can be used.
Quote Reply
Re: Water @ Olympic sites in Rio unsafe for swimming and boating [Peanut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he meant usat.

Quote Reply
Re: Water @ Olympic sites in Rio unsafe for swimming and boating [devrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright, the test race is over. Who's sick? Anyone?....
Quote Reply

Prev Next