Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Williams 85's vs Hed Jet 9 Plus Black
Quote | Reply
I am looking to get a new set of wheels, and have narrowed down my choice to either the Williams 85's or a slightly used Hed Jet 9 Plus Black. The price difference is 250 dollars for the sets I have found. Does anyone have any thoughts on which wheels to go with?
Last edited by: Babybull63: Jun 25, 15 11:46
Quote Reply
Re: Williams 85's vs Hed Jet 9 Plus Black [Babybull63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Isn't the Williams wheelset carbon rim and the Hed Jet aluminum?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Williams 85's vs Hed Jet 9 Plus Black [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the Williams is carbon and Hed Aluminum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Ultimately it is up to you to decide. Check the websites and see how wide the wheels and if they will fit your bike. Some bikes like the early Cervelo P4 had narrow chain stays or rear brakes and some wide wheels will not fit. Also, some carbon rim wheels require special brake pads, the Hed probably do not unless the black coating requires them. I think that the Williams wheels have a v shape rim whereas the Hed are more blunt. I don't think that you can go wrong with either wheel set, perhaps the Hed have better resale value if later on you decide to sell them.

I just bought a new set Hed wheels and I am very happy with them.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of carbon wheels and a set of Hed wheels...like the Heds better as they are stronger and I don't have to change pads...simple...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than weight and the all carbon "cool factor" I can't think of any situation where the Williams wheels would perform better. I think the HEDs are probably more aero, have better cross-wind stability, better braking, better durability, better ride quality....

Not that the Williams wheels are not nice, it is just that the HEDs are some of the best wheels out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Williams 85's vs Hed Jet 9 Plus Black [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use to have the clincher all carbon 85 mm Williams. Nice set, no issues just a tad heavy..... Sold it with my old TT and got some Zipps with the new bike....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went back and looked at the Tour wi d tunnel results. The jet 60 plus pretty much killed the 404s on an S5 and had some of the lowest drag numbers.
[/url]http://www.tour-magazin.de/technik/test_center/raeder/rennraeder/test-aero-renner-2015-speed-contest-im-windkanal/a34659/fotostrecke/2185521/2089827.html#.VY3rwFJOLv4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fixed that for you

http://www.tour-magazin.de/...27.html#.VY3v70ZHJyw

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Williams 85's vs Hed Jet 9 Plus Black [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input, it was a difficult decision to make but after talking it over with many people I decided to go with Williams 85's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great choice! I hope you like them. I just bought the same wheels. I plan to take them out for a 50 mile spin Friday morning.

Babybull63 wrote:
Thanks for all the input, it was a difficult decision to make but after talking it over with many people I decided to go with Williams 85's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Here is my bike with the Williams 85's on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks nice Josh!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Babybull63 wrote:

Here is my bike with the Williams 85's on it.

That's very neat fitting of the behind the seat bottle onto an Adamo seat....
the X-Lab that I got to fit the Adamo Attack, which has an angled rear rails ( yours are vertical ) means the rack is quite a way behind the seat.....
I'll see if I can change it to the way yours is set. thank you.
also, you're not using the ST approved Conti Tyres.... more power to you, Michelin Pro are sweet, as are Schwalbe Ones ( which I use )

BTW, the wheels look great.
Quote Reply
Re: Williams 85's vs Hed Jet 9 Plus Black [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the way I was able to set my Adamo seat up I was able to tuck the X-lab nicely right up to the seat. On my old bike, Cervelo P2sl, it was a little further back. I almost went with the Conti's but I have ridden both Michelin and Conti's before and liked both. I looked around and I got a better deal on the Micheline Pro 4 Service Course tires at 25mm wide. Ill be taking it out for our local TT tonight so we will see how she rides then.
Quote Reply