Re: IronCowboy 50/50/50 Progress thread [AG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's legit the guy is a beast!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 50/50/50 Progress thread [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
Does this qualify him for Kona? :)

It would actually make a lot of sense for Ironman to invite him to participate as a celebrity. A better choice in my opinion than some of the other choices recently. Think about how much positive exposure Ironman gets from him.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 50/50/50 Progress thread [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't wait to see 50 M-Dot tattoos all up and down both legs.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 50/50/50 Progress thread [Rick in the D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rick in the D wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
monty wrote:
What ST has shown is a culture of disbelief, nitpicking, anger, general crankiness, and lack of optimism//

I know you wanted to just do a hit and run here, but I think you have fallen into the trap of believing that a few loud voices makes up the majority. I think if you go back through the IC threads, there are mostly supporters there. IT might seem like a lot of haters, but really, it is the same few that just keep posting over and over.The majority of people think what he has done here is pretty incredible, just like you. IT has been a good forum for debate aside from actual haters, and in the end I think many on the fencers have come around to respect this guy and what he has done..

Thank you Monty articulating the response of what most of us would have responded with on Rick's hit and run post (which by the way makes him part of the very hate he has lumped most into). I think everyone here has utmost respect for his athlleticsim, persistence, consistence and that of his support crew. By putting himself in the domain of public figure he also gets the scrutiny that comes with the likes of pro athletes. You get the glory, but also the scrutiny. Scrutiny may come across as hate, but it is no different than sports fan discussing Jordan or Gretzky. If they care about the sport they will lift up heros and also discuss their moves. That's the territory that comes with turning into a public figure.

Good luck to IC on number 50 tomorrow. We'll send good vibes from the mountains at IM Canada in Whistler. He was here last year on this date ripping it up in 11:15. Chapeau to him on an incredible feat. Doing 50 states in 50 days with zero exercise would be hard enough!!! This feat of his must be harder than packing the entire Giro+Tour+Vuelta in 50 days.

Dev, thanks for speaking for all of ST, which you don't, although you claimed you do. My post wasn't hit and run, I've been on ST for a loooong time, not prolific, but my posting history - most of it positive - speaks for itself. Second, please don't equate wanting to share a position on an issue with hate. Hate is a harsh word which I have never, ever used, and wouldn't use with you, regardless of issue, as I respect you from a distance. That's not cool.

Monty, to your point, again, not to hit and run, I just didn't relish the idea of bringing the 'prediction' thread into the 'progress' thread, so I was simply trying to state my position, pure and simple, without 48 pages of who-did-what or is-this-valid, which is why I posted it in the progress thread, rather than the prediction thread. More than glad to chat with anyone on any of the points shared, The majority of my 'trap' as you mention comes from the facts that the progress thread had 366 posts, most of them factual, and a 'prediction' thread with 1500+ posts, many of them opinions without fact, and displaying the nitpickiness, crankiness, disbelief, anger (did you see the guy that called the feds on his tax status) that I shared. I stand by that. Maybe we see what a majority on ST is differently. I don't think Dan would. But I chose my words, and carefully, because I knew I'd spend time not hit-and-running them, but articulating more about my position. So be it.

And it doesn't change any part of how amazing IC was / is. That was special, regardless of rules and IronMan.

To be fair, you haven't articulated anything that hasn't been said numerous times during the IC's attempt. But I love the attempt to wrap it all up in a single post at the end..."hey folks, let me tell you what this was all REALLY about". Thus, the hit-and-run nature of your post. It's not just Dev and Monty who see that.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 50/50/50 Progress thread [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
It's legit the guy is a beast!!!

I can't imagine doing 50 straight days of 112 miles on pancake flat roads in perfect conditions in my best shape when I was road racing in my peak years. Heck I can't imagine 50 straight days of a multitude of efforts. Stud effort. ST is a riot some of the posts in this thread had me howling no wonder IC stayed away from this clown car thread and ST in general. Kudos to him hope he can find a post-race sponsorship from Ben and Jerrys, DiGiornio and Heineken!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who called the Feds on tax status? If you actually read the full trail, I raised the tax implications and potential fraud of pass through finding that could have severely impacted IC's family. I worked with JOFFs CPA firm as well as communicating directly with IC coach who thanked me for raising this issue and the donation link was subsequently changed. I publicly apologized for my harsh remarks on this forum and in private was sent some very nice messages from ST members for my efforts.

Hope that helps clarify.

I ended the IC journey in a good place. I was impressed by his commitment, mental toughness and the amazing support of family and friends. What he did was very inspiring for many and that is what matters - he impacted lives in a positive way. I was glad the funds he raised on-line went to JOFF after day 20 or so. I showed the e-mail I got from ICs coach to my wife and she said she was proud I stuck to my guns on the importance of personal beliefs.

I will agree with you on one point - hate. That term is used too quickly and with a broad stroke in to many instances in today's society.
Last edited by: chrisinma: Jul 26, 15 19:18
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 50/50/50 Progress thread [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kcb203 wrote:
I can't wait to see 50 M-Dot tattoos all up and down both legs.

Looks like he's already gotten inked!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rick in the D wrote:
I can only notice that the 'prediction' thread has fallen off the 1st page of ST. Hmmm.

I've held off sharing my perspective on IC's 50/50/50 attempt...but want to weigh in once, and only once. Here are my takeaways:

- What IC's done is incredible, from a physical and logistical standpoint. It's up there with any feat of human endurance you can find, short of hitting the South Pole, Lewis and Clark, et. al. When all the haters are footnotes and ST is dead, he's going to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the most amazing endurance athletes ever.

Good on IC for going out and living the dream, however from an athletic perspective it doesn't come close to what the top athletes do at the Sri Chinmoy 3100 mile ultramarathon in New York every year.

http://3100.srichinmoyraces.org/

The 50/50/50 is a logistical nightmare, but there's plenty of people pulling out bigger athletic achievements in a competitive context in the ultra distance world.

As I say, good on him for having the expansive goal and following it through (as much as he did), but let's not talk him up to be something he is not.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 50/50/50 Progress thread [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Rick in the D wrote:
Good on IC for going out and living the dream, however from an athletic perspective it doesn't come close to what the top athletes do at the Sri Chinmoy 3100 mile ultramarathon in New York every year.

The 50/50/50 is a logistical nightmare, but there's plenty of people pulling out bigger athletic achievements in a competitive context in the ultra distance world.

As I say, good on him for having the expansive goal and following it through (as much as he did), but let's not talk him up to be something he is not.

Plenty?

"To date, in the previous 18 years there have been 37 people who have conquered the distance." --The website you just referenced.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 50/50/50 Progress thread [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a crap about the Slowtwitch echo chamber. You'll notice that he and his crew are heavily into social media: official facebook account, facebook events for each of his 50 days, instagram, twitter. But, they have not bothered with slowtwitch, the dominant triathlon-specific social media site. Slowtwitch forums a vertical-specific social media site, but it is dying a slow death, and the fact that this guy and his team, who are very into social media and using social media to communicate and market, have not bothered with slowtwitch is telling. He doesn't care about opinion or approval of the die-hard triathlon community that make up slowtwitch and he has bypassed it altogether.

I hardly ever bother to drop by anymore. Sometimes slowtwitch is a wonderful resource, but more and more frequently it has all the wit and usefulness of the Youtube comment section.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 50/50/50 Progress thread [TomH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomH wrote:
kny wrote:
I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a crap about the Slowtwitch echo chamber. You'll notice that he and his crew are heavily into social media: official facebook account, facebook events for each of his 50 days, instagram, twitter. But, they have not bothered with slowtwitch, the dominant triathlon-specific social media site. Slowtwitch forums a vertical-specific social media site, but it is dying a slow death, and the fact that this guy and his team, who are very into social media and using social media to communicate and market, have not bothered with slowtwitch is telling. He doesn't care about opinion or approval of the die-hard triathlon community that make up slowtwitch and he has bypassed it altogether.

I hardly ever bother to drop by anymore. Sometimes slowtwitch is a wonderful resource, but more and more frequently it has all the wit and usefulness of the Youtube comment section.

For real. It's like the whiners from Let'sRun.com and Youtube had children and let them loose on this forum. Too much hate.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 50/50/50 Progress thread [TomH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomH wrote:
satanellus wrote:
Rick in the D wrote:

Plenty?

"To date, in the previous 18 years there have been 37 people who have conquered the distance." --The website you just referenced.

I only gave one race as an example, choosing a long standing event in NYC that I thought many on a US based website might have heard about. Plenty of other stand-out performances in multi-day ultra races held around the world each year.

Some impressive running in the TDF on Foot happening at the moment as well. Or do you want me to go way back to the 1800s when guys first broke 600 miles and 1000 km in the standard 6 day race?

What IC has done is unusual and unprecedented, but that doesn't automatically make it incomparable from an athletic perspective.
Quote Reply

Prev Next