Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

School me on caffeine
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this was stimulated by the 'caffeines going to kill us all thread'

But I have been considering using caffeine in races. In 6 years in the sport I have never used a caffeine in a race, with the only exception in that I used high 5 extreme on 2 occasions, once in a TT and once in an olympic distance. Both resulted in cramps out of nowhere. Since then I haven't touched the stuff.

I am a habitual caffeine user, love my coffee and have about 2-3 cups a day.
I don't seem to 'respond' to caffeine in that once a week I have 2 cups of coffee late at night - around an hour before bed and still drift off to sleep no problem.
Hence why I never thought of using it.

But the evidence FOR it is getting pretty compelling, and I could really do with that performance boost!

Only problem is, I don't use traditional energy products, I make my own, including gels. So not sure which was is best to incorporate it.
I was going to get some powdered caffeine, but now I am worried about overdosing!

The other issue with me and caffeine is occasionally, very very occasionally I get scintillating scotomas after a cup of coffee. But this is pretty rare.

So, how do you do your caffeine, do you start early? On the bike? Or just save it for the run?

I remember reading an article by Faris saying he used huge amounts, 10 of the 15 gels on the bike were caffeinated!
Quote Reply
Re: School me on caffeine [Tomato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few point on the amount of caffeine that is in stuff:
A typical cup of fresh coffee has around 200-250mg of caffeine - So you will often be consuming over 500mg/day on your current coffee habits.
An SIS caffeine gel contains 75mg of caffeine.
A Pro Plus tablet contains 50mg of caffeine.

So you can see, caffeinated products don't actually contain huge amounts of caffeine and shouldn't present a coffee drinker with doses of caffeine that their body isn't used to.

In terms of my own race day caffeine habits (long course):
Large coffee with breakfast (so, about 250mg caffeine two hours before the race)
4(ish) caffeine gels on the bike, stacked more towards the second half of the bike leg. (around 300mg spread out across the last 3-4 hours of the bike).
1 caffeine gel/hour on the run, plus maybe some flat cola (totalling perhaps another 350mg)

Total for the day:
900mg - equivalent to around 4 cups of coffee. By no means an unusual amount.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on caffeine [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure a regular cup of coffee doesn't contain that much caffeine, most coffee is around 100 to 200 max.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4-5mg per kg of bodyweight taken 0-30 minutes before exercise (takes about 60 minutes for the effect to peak, taken on an empty stomach) is all you need to know. Highest ergogenic dose is said to be 5 mg per kg bodyweight and more is not better no matter your tolerance.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tomato wrote:
I'm pretty sure a regular cup of coffee doesn't contain that much caffeine, most coffee is around 100 to 200 max.
Starbucks grande is 330 for reference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Yann's Infographics are awesome. you can check out all of them here http://ylmsportscience.blogspot.ch/ .

regarding caffeine:

Quote Reply
Re: School me on caffeine [jakob1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakob1989 wrote:
I think Yann's Infographics are awesome. you can check out all of them here http://ylmsportscience.blogspot.ch/ .

I've just been looking through that website, it's fantastic!
Quote Reply
Re: School me on caffeine [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy Crap!
That's a huge amount of caffeine!
Way more than I was expecting. My regular costa has 370 in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I just did a little experiment in a bike session taking 65mg of caffeine as a tablet (high 5 xtreme tab)
pretty profound effect! I like it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tomato wrote:

So, how do you do your caffeine, do you start early? On the bike? Or just save it for the run?

The half life of caffeine is on the order of 8 hours so if you're talking about usage during an Ironman, what you get in your morning coffee is half or more gone by the end of the event. Asker Jeukendrup once told me he felt it made the most sense to start supplementation on the second half of the bike. As was said earlier, doses beyond ~ 6mg/kg does no extra good.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that if you want to use caffeine for racing you have to cut it out for a few weeks prior. may not be worth it.

or you can get creative. when i was 16 my friends and i used to chop up no-doz and vivarin and snort them up our noses. kept us alert for quite some time, and more intense than swallowing them. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
College kids have dies mistaken it for cocaine at parties. A small amount can be lethal.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on caffeine [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen less time - 4-7 days from memory, but no links or anything.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply