Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ear infection the week of A race
Quote | Reply
Was doing an open water swim yesterday and some water got under my earplug, and pushed into my ear. I have had a million ear infections in my lifetime so this morning I went to the doctor to confirm my suspicion and get it sorted out. I have one of my two major races of the year on Sunday.

I have an antibiotic ointment/cream to put in the ear - I had a run with antibiotics (oral) last year for something else and I felt like total garbage for a week. Are the effects the same with this?
Quote Reply
Re: Ear infection the week of A race [hairy cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To my experience an antibiotic cream is different from an oral antibiotic cure.
I don't think you'll notice it.
I wish you all the best with your ears and race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate ear infections. You have my sympathies - and would even if you weren't racing this week. ugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to see you here dude! ^_^
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hairy cyclist wrote:
Was doing an open water swim yesterday and some water got under my earplug, and pushed into my ear. I have had a million ear infections in my lifetime so this morning I went to the doctor to confirm my suspicion and get it sorted out. I have one of my two major races of the year on Sunday.

I have an antibiotic ointment/cream to put in the ear - I had a run with antibiotics (oral) last year for something else and I felt like total garbage for a week. Are the effects the same with this?

Ear infections are nasty. I don't want to sound like an old woman but is racing with an ear infection a good idea?

If it is a virus a race or training will only prolong it and possibly make it worse. If it is bacterial the cream may help but virus or bacterial knocking yourself back in a race might allow a minor infection to get worse and ear problems are horrible.

I really don't understand why people risk their health by racing when they have problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Ear infection the week of A race [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
hairy cyclist wrote:

Ear infections are nasty. I don't want to sound like an old woman but is racing with an ear infection a good idea?

If it is a virus a race or training will only prolong it and possibly make it worse. If it is bacterial the cream may help but virus or bacterial knocking yourself back in a race might allow a minor infection to get worse and ear problems are horrible.

I really don't understand why people risk their health by racing when they have problems.

A sensible approach. However as opposed to an inner ear infection I think this would rank more on the minor side. My experience with such infections is quite vast (I think I had tubes until I was 16-17 years old), so I am basing my educated guess in that I will not be 'racing with an infection' as opposed to racing recently recovered from one. I think it will take 3-4 days for it to clear up completely. Though, I am worried about the effects of any antibiotic treatment.

I am not one who takes medicine, usually, unless warranted. As this is one of those cases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it an inner ear or outer ear infection? For outer ear I got prescribed drops and it cleared in about 3 days. The antibiotic was cipro and after reading the horror stories about the side effects on runners I asked my Dr. and he said it's a non issue. These are drops and they are only treating that localized area. It's not the same as getting them orally. I was fine and didn't even notice any weird stuff. I've started using alcohol drops after each swim and haven't had any issues since.

hairy cyclist wrote:
Trev wrote:
hairy cyclist wrote:

A sensible approach. However as opposed to an inner ear infection I think this would rank more on the minor side. My experience with such infections is quite vast (I think I had tubes until I was 16-17 years old), so I am basing my educated guess in that I will not be 'racing with an infection' as opposed to racing recently recovered from one. I think it will take 3-4 days for it to clear up completely. Though, I am worried about the effects of any antibiotic treatment.

I am not one who takes medicine, usually, unless warranted. As this is one of those cases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hairy cyclist wrote:
Trev wrote:
hairy cyclist wrote:

I err on the side of anti antibiotics. If it's a virus antibiotics are useless anyway and if you take antibiotics all the time you lose the ability to fight off infection without them. Then you have the problem with anti biotic resistant infections.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/...keep-doing-it-293564

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/...terial_and_viral.pdf

If your experience with ear infections is vast perhaps you have lost the ability to fight the infection on your own without antibiotics.
Last edited by: Trev: May 4, 15 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: Ear infection the week of A race [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention upset/altered gut microflora which could take years to settle down. For some people never. This is a subject of cutting edge research right now. Your average gastroenterologist hasn't kept up with it, unfortunately. I took clindamycin and it really messed me up. Then I went to three prominent gastroenterologists around here and they dismissed the idea that antibiotics can permanently change the gut flora, like it's a myth.

Basically, never take antibiotics unless your life is in danger.
Quote Reply