Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flo 30 wheel build with Powertap SL+
Quote | Reply
I want to try a build mostly bc I am on a tight budget. Gonna get a wheelcover to go on it and just wanna good training wheel. I have the PT SL + measurements at Drive 15.6 NDS 33.9 off the PT website and flanges of 70. The erd of a flo is 577.5 and on Sapims calc I get 297 and 300 using a 2x pattern on a 32 hole hub. I know flo uses nipple washers but with a 32 rim do I really need them? Better for a novice builder? Sapim makes odd length so the cut cost would be a pain from a quick calc.

I am new to wheel building but I have trued successfully and replaces some broke spokes. Built a Chariot stroller wheel from scratch so I know kinda what I am getting into.

Thanks ahead of time for any observations or things I may be overlooking.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 wheel build with Powertap SL+ [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The washer probably serves to deform a bit so any irregularities in the nipple and rim do not allow the nipple to loosen. I would use the washers so the wheel maintains its tension.

If in doubt I would call or email the guys at Flo. They have always been really responsive. I also think they offer the Flo 30 as a bear rim so people can build PowerTap wheels. There were a lot of requests when they first came out, but you can image the headache of trying to stock the small percentage of those that they could sell compared to regular wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 wheel build with Powertap SL+ [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adambeston wrote:
I want to try a build mostly bc I am on a tight budget. Gonna get a wheelcover to go on it and just wanna good training wheel. I have the PT SL + measurements at Drive 15.6 NDS 33.9 off the PT website and flanges of 70. The erd of a flo is 577.5 and on Sapims calc I get 297 and 300 using a 2x pattern on a 32 hole hub. I know flo uses nipple washers but with a 32 rim do I really need them? Better for a novice builder? Sapim makes odd length so the cut cost would be a pain from a quick calc.

Remember that ERD is calculated using the parts and pieces you are building with. The ERD we list is for our spokes and nipples, so keep that in consideration. It could change with different parts. Here's the best calculation...

*Effective Rim Diameter. This is the rim diameter measured at the nipple seats in the spoke holes, plus the thickness of the two nipple heads. The E.R.D. is needed for calculating the correct spoke length.

I am new to wheel building but I have trued successfully and replaces some broke spokes. Built a Chariot stroller wheel from scratch so I know kinda what I am getting into.

Thanks ahead of time for any observations or things I may be overlooking.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply