Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crazy man riding St. George bike w/ no saddle?!
Quote | Reply
Did anyone else see this guy riding without a saddle at St. George? He had on a kit w/ the Golden Gate Bridge on it, I assume it is the Golden Gate Tri Club in San Francisco. Tough hot day out there, but I couldn't imagine being out of the saddle for the majority of the bike. Should be a great race pic!
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy man riding St. George bike w/ no saddle?! [chipnicodemus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chipnicodemus wrote:
Did anyone else see this guy riding without a saddle at St. George? He had on a kit w/ the Golden Gate Bridge on it, I assume it is the Golden Gate Tri Club in San Francisco. Tough hot day out there, but I couldn't imagine being out of the saddle for the majority of the bike. Should be a great race pic!

How did they allow him to race?
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy man riding St. George bike w/ no saddle?! [chipnicodemus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chipnicodemus wrote:
]
I hope he was out of the saddle for the whole thing, not just the majority. Yikes!
Last edited by: dtaylor: May 3, 15 13:06
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy man riding St. George bike w/ no saddle?! [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
chipnicodemus wrote:

Guy racked next to me at Buffalo Springs in '09 started the bike leg with a saddle, finished without one. Seat post snapped in the middle of the ride. I think he did a lot of walking on the run course that day.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy man riding St. George bike w/ no saddle?! [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have figured they would pull him off the course
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy man riding St. George bike w/ no saddle?! [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
chipnicodemus wrote:

Guy racked next to me at Buffalo Springs in '09 started the bike leg with a saddle, finished without one. Seat post snapped in the middle of the ride. I think he did a lot of walking on the run course that day.

I had a seatpost break on me (fortunately only 5mi. from T2). Not fun, and it does totally trash your run (cramp, cramp, cramp). Back in the day there was a guy who had it happen in Kona, and finished the ride by putting an upside down water bottle over the seatpost.

Happens even to the pros: https://www.youtube.com/...haIkG8qf48&t=380

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: May 3, 15 14:28
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy man riding St. George bike w/ no saddle?! [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:

Why.....Is this a rule?

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I snapped my saddle rails at Xterra Las Vegas last weekend on the first lap of the bike. Had it happened on lap 2, it would've sucked, been slow, and my run would've suffered, but there wasn't too much technical stuff left on the course. But I wasn't doing the 30+ mph washed out descents and rock garden with a broken seat post sticking up.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy man riding St. George bike w/ no saddle?! [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:
TriTamp wrote:

Why.....Is this a rule?

I've never seen someone pulled from a course when their equipment becomes non-conforming during the event. For example, the rules state that you need a functioning brake on each wheel; but someone whose brake lever is damaged in a crash is usually allowed to complete the race.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's an old '80s, inappropriate in today's culture, gay joke hidden in this situation.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chipnicodemus wrote:

He passed me right at the far run turn around on redhills parkway hammering by like a man possessed. I don't know how he could have finished the bike let alone the race. The boy was in a big hurry.

Where on coarse did you see him?
Last edited by: Pancks: May 3, 15 18:28
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy man riding St. George bike w/ no saddle?! [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
There's an old '80s, inappropriate in today's culture, gay joke hidden in this situation.

What like, 'First half of the ride was terrible, but I REALLY enjoyed the 2nd half'...?
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy man riding St. George bike w/ no saddle?! [Pancks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody know anything about the rider who crashed at the bridge at the bottom of purgatory hill? Face was bloodied up.

When I came through there the rider was down, cars stopped, two guys changing flats, coarse covered in ejected bottles and nutrition, riders riding back to retrieve nutrition.

Nasty lip where the concrete bridge meets the asphalt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh, had that happen on a ride years ago where the seat post broke. Luckily I was only a few miles from home so I was able to make it back OK, couldn't imagine doing a good chunk of a race like that because it wasn't fun for the short period that I had to do it.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Crazy man riding St. George bike w/ no saddle?! [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Happens even to the pros: https://www.youtube.com/...haIkG8qf48&t=380

this would be so awesome to have here in the states WITH that music blasting during the event.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy man riding St. George bike w/ no saddle?! [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I snapped both titanium seat rails at IMNZ 2009, at about the 80km mark. I was doing over 70kph downhill, in the rain at the time. I hit some debris on the road and the next thing I knew, my balls were all over the top tube, my nutrition just about launched out my throat and I wobbled dangerously. Luckily I stayed upright.

I rode the next 100km sitting as gingerly as possible, on the rear most section of my seat, even though it sloped forward at a ridiculous angle. I rode without any chance of touching the aero bars. It gave some relief but not much. I was trained and on my way to about a 40minute PB when it happened. I ended up losing 40 minutes and 4 seconds. I finished 4 freakin' seconds over a PB. I was livid!

I passed several service stations and being a mechanical engineer, knew I could fix the saddle with two small circle hose clamps in less than 5 minutes but didn't want to risk a DQ for outside assistance (I didn't want the apprentice operating the bellows (old school reference to TdF) so rode with the broken saddle. My run was even less fun than you'd imagine.

Not ideal, but it can be done, and now I have a faded finishers shirt :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It makes him more aero, free speed
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy man riding St. George bike w/ no saddle?! [dtaylor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtaylor wrote:
chipnicodemus wrote:

]
I hope he was out of the saddle for the whole thing, not just the majority. Yikes!
Yeah, I don't think be in the saddle when there isn't one sounds like a great idea...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pancks wrote:
Anybody know anything about the rider who crashed at the bridge at the bottom of purgatory hill? Face was bloodied up.

When I came through there the rider was down, cars stopped, two guys changing flats, coarse covered in ejected bottles and nutrition, riders riding back to retrieve nutrition.

Nasty lip where the concrete bridge meets the asphalt.

Yea it was a Lady and they said they think she must have hit a cone. I was one of the guys waiting for neutral services with a sliced tire and second flat (didn't notice the tire when I put my spare tube in) I was there about 20 minutes and during that time she did not move at all. Looked pretty serious. It was a good day as the tire that was put on pinched flatted and I had to wait for neutral services a second time. Spend a total of 52 minutes on the side of the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy man riding St. George bike w/ no saddle?! [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5.5 Endangerment

IMO, It's a judgment call. If the seat post can be removed from the seat tube, then the cyclist can continue safely albeit uncomfortably. If there is part of the seat post left and presents an impalement hazard, if seen would probably be DQed, and recommended to stop and get a ride. Then, if the cyclist decided to continue riding and something did happen, he would be the one at fault. It's all about the liability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did see a guy on the side of the road doing some thing with his saddle, guess he didn't get it fixed. I couldn't ride more then a couple of miles without a saddle. Not sure of it's legal but way to hang in there and finish.

I also passed the woman crashed as the meds were working on her, didn't look good.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually saw him at mile 54ish when I was headed out on the run. Charging out of the saddle.
Quote Reply