Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
sciguy wrote:
Endo Ag wrote:
. The thing I got from Marcag's post is that at a "championship" race, the female who was dfl got the same points as a male who finished in the top 40%..

Except that Marcog was mistaken in his assertion. There were 24 female pros who finished the 70.3 NA Championship race at MT last year as well as 6 DNFs. It was a truly stellar field. He was confusing that race with the Plain Jane 70.3 that also took place at MT earlier in the year where there were only 8 female finishers. That race may well have had other races in direct or indirect conflict which reduced the show up.

Hugh

No, sorry, you are mistaken. I clearly said IMMT, full distance North American championship with Kona points

I stand corrected............had completely forgotten that both Championships took place there last year. You're the man.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [songmak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
songmak wrote:
I don't think that is what he is saying at all. He is simple pointing out that the competition Brown completed against is not equal to the competition Dede raced to get "similar results". I have not investigated the two races of each but if his research is accurate, I would agree that it is disingenuous to compare your record to someone getting the results against top level competition when your results are against what would be considered 2nd or 3rd tier level pros. If Dede was Kona caliber, shouldn't she be winning against this type of competition, which in turn would get her more points and eliminate the need to race another IM event?

Again, this is not an indictment on Dede.....I simple used her because she was the one identified in the comment.

Dede showed up at Ironman Taiwan and Mallorca and was "lucky" in the sense that really no one else showed up, think it is due to the fact that both races have low prize money for a P2000 race. I do agree that not all IMs "are made equal". Some P2000 races pay out 20K to the winner and others pay out 6-8K. Naturally pros will flock to races that pay out more.

Today's IM Port M in Australia only had 6 finishers for pro women. So I think some of the pro $ were left idle. Should have gave it to the men who finished, maybe? Or even distribute them equally to the women who completed the race perhaps? Good PR!
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:
So you're saying that if the competition isn't the best out there, then racing an ironman as hard as you can is exactly the same as sitting on the couch? Without the airfare and hotel travel costs as well? That's great!

And it must be fantastic to show up at the Kona starting line having done an extra Ironman that has zero impact on your body. Imagine how cool that is for your career!

I don't think that's what I said and it is certainly not what I meant.

Personally I would like to see the 80 best pro athletes at Kona. I would also like to see the best 1500 (or whatever it is) amateur athletes

In a perfect world, there would be a system that allows to compare results, across gender and age. Until that system exists, proportionality is probably the fairest system.

I don't like proportionality. I look at AG results from last year's IMMT and AGs such as 60-65 are "discriminated" against. There were performances in 60-65 that were more Kona worthy (IMO) than 40-45 yet they didn't get slots.

I have tried different models, see the pro and con of each and unfortunately the one that seems the fairest is proportionality. But certainly not perfect.

At one point I thought "Just take the top 80 KPR point getters". This doesn't work. My observation was that 4500 KPR points for a male and female do not seem to be the same. The podcasters were comparing Dede and Cam and *my opinion* is that it's not a fair comparison. This doesn't take away that Dede's results are very impressive.

I agree with you. For pros, you want the X "best" long-course triathletes at the Ironman World Championships, just like you want only the best represented at the Olympics. But, how do you assess "best" best? Unlike T&F, you can't use time thresholds. The current KPR points system awards quantity, which is not an attribute of "best". Really, I see no better way than Qualifier races, just like Olympic Trials. You race in the Regional Qualifier of your region; no picking and choosing the geography of your choosing and no taking multiple attempts at multiple qualifiers around the world. Your pro license is in North America? You race the North America Kona Qualifier Championship and hope to get one of the 15 slots on offer to Kona for that region. At least this way the X "best" are selected via performance on a single day. Everyone has the same amount of "mandatory" racing in their legs come Kona; anything more is voluntary by the athlete. Have a bad day or sick or injured? Bummer. Take a year off of Kona.

Age groupers, different story. Ideal would be like Boston Marathon where an arbitrary time standard could be established and all who better it are allowed to race. But, that's not reasonable for Ironman. So, proportionality is fairest.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
So you're saying that if the competition isn't the best out there, then racing an ironman as hard as you can is exactly the same as sitting on the couch? Without the airfare and hotel travel costs as well? That's great!

And it must be fantastic to show up at the Kona starting line having done an extra Ironman that has zero impact on your body. Imagine how cool that is for your career!

Somebody's righteous indignation seems to be short circuiting their reading comprehension.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry. I was tired from doing an extra Ironman that I shouldn't need to do.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somebody's righteous indignation is now impacting their gender identification....

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [Endo Ag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo Ag wrote:
I'm asking a question more than stating a hypothesis, but is it possible that the women's points chase is closer not because of what the top finishers do, but rather what the bottom ten at a race do? If there are twenty men and twelve women in a race, ten men go home with zero points, but almost every woman gets points that put then in the kona chase. Half the men get the message that their chances are over by miss year, whereas more women are still in the chase mid season, despite pedestrian results compared to the top?

I wonder if this is the case. Not so much "get the hint" but more women stay in the competitive hunt since a greater portion of the field takes home kpr. If its the difference between "too far removed to kq on one more race" and "still in the game" then you'd likely gamble on another race. If many women are in this position then the whole field races more often than the men. Though how you prove this hypothesis out is anyone's guess. (Proportion of low placing results who qualify or who are on the border?)
Last edited by: timbasile: May 3, 15 15:17
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That non-reply sounds exactly like somebody that lost an argument. I'll take that as a win. Gracias.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
That non-reply sounds exactly like somebody that lost an argument. I'll take that as a win. Gracias.

LOL...I'm not trying to *win* anything, just pointing out your logical fallacies. Arguing with absolutists is pointless. You have already decreed that any opposition to 59 women in Kona is sexist.

But please, tell us again how 15 women finishing with zero coverage in Kona will drive participation just like LA winning* 7 TdF's or Tiger Woods winning golf tournaments drove participation. That was a good one.....

Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
tucktri wrote:
I listened to the interview with Messick yesterday. What struck me is that he said they do not give all their prize money earmarked for women away. No idea why that is the case.

Not enough women Pro's show up to a race.

Sorry should have used pink there. I understand the mechanics of the prize payouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
tucktri wrote:

What also strikes me, is the lack of female participation at the Challenge Middle East races. Some of the biggest prize purses in the sport with the opportunity to possibly win $1m. And that didn't get a ton of women there. Not even a lot of ITU women.

I think the backwards ass thinking in treating women like 3rd class citizens has a whole lot to do with that. It really isn't difficult to figure that one out. Some of that maybe perception over reality but that's all it takes.

Sure I guess that could be true but by all accounts Bahrain was a great race and experience for all involved so one would think Dubai would be better attended. Hell look at the attendance at ITU Abu Dhabi. Looks like more women there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next