Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have realized my problem after reading this thread and having a friend take a picture of me on my TT bike:

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who's heading to Moriarty for the 40k record challenge this year? Did they chipseal the course, seems like I heard something about this?

They put new asphalt on a short section at the beginning/end last year, and this spring I noticed it had been chipsealed. Just that part. The rest hadn't been touched at that time.

It was pretty smooth for chipseal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rockdude wrote:
Who's heading to Moriarty for the 40k record challenge this year? Did they chipseal the course, seems like I heard something about this?

I hope I can make it this year. I have a ton of traveling in the next 3 weeks, so I will either be well rested or totally out of shape
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well shoot, I've been thinking of doing a 40k tt, as we have a weekly 10 mile tt, but I really want to see what I can do all out for 40.

I have no power meter though, so all I'd be able to offer is my time for the distance! :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IanH wrote:
ridenfish39 wrote:
This thread convinces me I'm too tall to be a good tter. :( It's amazing how fast some people are on relatively low power

I feel exactly the same way, this being tall thing is a curse! It takes me 320w to average 40km/h.

Keep in mind this fast times are done at altitude. If you are at sea level take 10% off your power. So if your are at 320w, your altitude watts would be closer to 290w.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a link for the moriarty TT?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't see any but it's listed here as Sept 6 and 7. Labor Day weekend Sun and Mon like usual. The big day is always Sun. http://www.nmbra.org/event_calendar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I must have a god-awful position. At 6'0", 167, I did a 40k TT last weekend with NP of 325 and came in at 59.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [nittiaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nittiaj wrote:
Yeah, I must have a god-awful position. At 6'0", 167, I did a 40k TT last weekend with NP of 325 and came in at 59.

To be term "parachute" comes to mind.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

They put new asphalt on a short section at the beginning/end last year, and this spring I noticed it had been chipsealed. Just that part. The rest hadn't been touched at that time.

It was pretty smooth for chipseal.

I'm curious as to why everybody is still focused on Moriarty considering that since 2010 one ITT record has been set there vs. NINE at Sattley.

http://www.usacycling.org/usa-cycling-national-records.htm

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Last edited by: nslckevin: Jul 27, 15 5:52
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some of us, it's close.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
lanierb wrote:
Steve Irwin wrote:

Xav reckons my CdA would test around 0.177 in a wind tunnel.

Whoa! That would make you about the most aero man on the planet (on a regular TT bike) I think! Anyway that brings us down to about 47:40, so much closer to your time. At that point it's probably within the guesstimation error bars.

There are other people who have a similar CdA, some even lower, but they mostly keep quiet about it, which is probably more sensible from the point of view of maintaining a competitive advantage. As another comparison - in the same event, a guy who tested in the mid 0.19s in the tunnel did 48:55 with 331W AP (his NP would probably have been a fair bit higher).

World-beating/anomalously low CdA's all at the same event or series of events makes you go "hmmmmmmmm..."

I'm not saying that it isn't a possibility that the slipperiest individuals end up at the same race, but when you have clustering like that, I'm looking for other explanations. (British TT'ers regularly having outrageous speed:power ratios strongly suggests environmental variables)

This is coming from someone who's already on the tail end of the CdA spectrum (circa .210 at 1.83m/72kg on very modest equipment).

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derf wrote:
World-beating/anomalously low CdA's all at the same event or series of events makes you go "hmmmmmmmm..."
Except I'm referencing wind tunnel measured CdAs, so the only way it could be anomalous is if the Drag2Zero tunnel gives low CdA readings for some reason. I have no way of knowing how the CdA values from that tunnel compare to CdA values from other tunnels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Derf wrote:
I'm not saying that it isn't a possibility that the slipperiest individuals end up at the same race, but when you have clustering like that, I'm looking for other explanations. (British TT'ers regularly having outrageous speed:power ratios strongly suggests environmental variables)
Another British TTer with a similar CdA, 0.1775 tested riding solo on a track:
http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/...=1&#entry1412866
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Derf wrote:
I'm not saying that it isn't a possibility that the slipperiest individuals end up at the same race, but when you have clustering like that, I'm looking for other explanations.

That is exactly what happens in the UK, where TTing is a sub culture of its own. The fastest guys all know each other very well and regularly end up chasing fast times at the same events on the fastest courses. We are a pretty small country, most courses are driveable for most people. Head over to timetriallingforum where a lot of the established best practice is simply accepted rather than endlessly debated, like over here. People educate one another, a high proportion of the quick lads have been to the tunnel or aero testing at the track, and the very fastest guys are in teams with aero testing facilities like the drag2zero bunch. It isn't just a possibility that you get the slipperiest individuals at the same race, it is totally expected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI-Moriarty is finally up on the USAC site but it's not on the registration website yet.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rockdude wrote:
FYI-Moriarty is finally up on the USAC site but it's not on the registration website yet.

Just checked and online registration is up now.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Minnesota state TT 40k, mostly flat with a surprise 5 miles of new chip and seal.

53:26
293np
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [nittiaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nittiaj wrote:

Try being 6'3" at 155 with the same power numbers and not being able to break 60;)
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
nittiaj wrote:

Try being 6'3" at 155 with the same power numbers and not being able to break 60;)

Just shy of 6' and 172lbs and I did a 54:54 at 251w NP. That's with a CdA of .210, which is way higher than I'd like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louisiana-Mississippi District TT Championship

Averaged 292W and finished in 56:00 for a new PR and the Cat 3 title. Last year, same course was 58:12 on 273W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25mi TT - 56:17 (55:36 40k) - 250w AP

We are lucky enough to have a closed course .5mi oval in Pittsburgh with banked turns and an ultra smooth road surface for Friday Night TTs and this was the final one of the season. Small "hill" right before the finish line keeps things interesting, came out to 500' gain over the course of 25mi so still really flat.
Last edited by: kyle h: Aug 30, 15 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:

Just shy of 6' and 172lbs and I did a 54:54 at 251w NP. That's with a CdA of .210, which is way higher than I'd like.

I'm also 6', though 152 lbs. I'm planning for sub - 55' at Moriarty with 250-255w. Good to see it worked for you.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My CdA is now below .190 so I reckon I'll be quite a bit faster next time I do that course.
Quote Reply

Prev Next