Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [pontyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pontyman wrote:
Thank you all for the responses.

As I started this thread I felt obliged to give the final outcome.
Rules update- The 26in was an omission- someone was kind enough to have them fix and update so rules were straightened out.

Xterra is relaxed- Consistent with other observations- this is Xterrra racign, far more relaxed than the road stuff, noone was checking wheel sizes- they did check and fix any missing barend plugs but that is safety.

The race: I raced my 2009 26in bike and it worked just great- there was one long deep sandy canyon section which the 29ers smoked me on- the 29in wheel is superior in deep sand (and or at least the riders were better than I in deep sand). Otherwise I posted a decent time for my age group.

One final note, if any of you are thinking of racing Xterra then get out and try it. After many years of racing IM and 70.3s of various organizations around the world Xterra is by far the most relaxed and fun group I have come across.

I've raced mountain bikes for many many years before doing triathlons. Mountain bike scene is much more relaxed. You can certainly pick out the roadies at a mountain bike race. They look like they have something stuck up their ass. Triathlon group is a little more uptight than mountain bikers but not at the level of roadies (my experience). The annoying thing about mountain bikers now is their infatuation with IPA beer. It's like roadies and their coffee.

My issue with Xterra's, and I do love them, are the complete lack of mountain bike handling skills by other riders. Given my experience at MTBing, I have excellent handling skills. However, not the fastest swimmer so I would get stuck behind some of the worse mountain bikers ever. My God there were bodies every where. And they didn't know how to shift on climbs so they would fall over.

Also, these riders don't understand passing on single track. They are use to open roads where passing just happens. Last Xterra I did two riders in particular wouldn't let me pass. Every once in a while this happens in a mountain bike race. The solution is your elbow, thus I used my elbow. He didn't take it too well. So I thought to myself that maybe this isn't the best group to do MTB racing moves on, so the next racer I needed to pass, I just cut the corner.

Quote | Reply
I've raced MTB for a long, long time at the expert / semi pro category and have never been elbowed by someone attempting to pass that I can recall. I someone needs to come around I just move over a little and let them go, and if I need to come around it's generally a non-issue too. The biggest issue I have is with getting around mid pack or slower sport riders who are a lap or two down but speed up when I note that I'd like to get by when they have a chance.

There's no need for elbowing people to my thinking.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
I've raced MTB for a long, long time at the expert / semi pro category and have never been elbowed by someone attempting to pass that I can recall. I someone needs to come around I just move over a little and let them go, and if I need to come around it's generally a non-issue too. The biggest issue I have is with getting around mid pack or slower sport riders who are a lap or two down but speed up when I note that I'd like to get by when they have a chance.

There's no need for elbowing people to my thinking.

It happened a lot in Sport, but not so much now that I've moved up (expert/elite). I should have made that clarification. Sport is a very unique category. It's always a sprint start. Even if the race if 50 miles. People sprint to win the first two miles. I won many Sport races just through attrition. Another issue I only saw in Sport was trail blocking. Two races come to mind where one rider would purposely block so teammate could get ahead. Another form of that would be on a climb and one would dismount in a manner that forced others to dismount.

In MI, most sport racers go off hours after Elite/Expert so rarely is lapping an issue. I'm usually on my way home before Sport goes off.

Quote | Reply
What is someone who is 5'2" supposed to do?
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [pontyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the world of XTERRA. Glad to have ya.

I just launched and off-road multisport focused web-zine. Let me know if you have any questions and/or suggestions of what you'd like to see us cover.

Hopefully we will see ya at a race soon.

http://www.dirttri.com

Jimmy

Jimmy Archer
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [HoustonAg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There fun but intense. Enjoy it!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next