Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Vector v Quarq
Quote | Reply
I am riding a Felt IA. I am primarily on this bike, but I'm interested in seeing power when riding my road bike in group rides.

1. Is it possible to ride Vector with 20mm spacers?
2. Is it possible to swap a Quarq if I'm riding different bottom brackets from tri to road?
3. Is it possible to swap out crank arm length on a Quarq without replacing the entire unit?
4. Any other words of wisdom on Quarq v Power2Max?

Thank you for your input.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector v Quarq [ibetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Quarq ELSA RS.

2. Is it possible to swap a Quarq if I'm riding different bottom brackets from tri to road?
If you have a BB30 Quarq, you can use it on GXP with a Rotor BSA 30 bottom bracket. That's what I'm doing

3. Is it possible to swap out crank arm length on a Quarq without replacing the entire unit?
You have to send the entire power meter back to them to change it

Quarq service center is in North Dakota. Power 2 Max is in Germany I think?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Feb 28, 15 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ibetri wrote:
I am riding a Felt IA. I am primarily on this bike, but I'm interested in seeing power when riding my road bike in group rides.
1. Is it possible to ride Vector with 20mm spacers?
Spacers where?
ibetri wrote:
It would be better to set up your bikes so they used at least a common bottom bracket axle diameter and length; then you can just swap the crankset out.
ibetri wrote:
At least some of them are spider based so in that case, yes; but I think you'd want to verify the torque slope accuracy every time you swapped, at least the first half-dozen times you did the swap.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector v Quarq [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I have a Quarq ELSA RS.

If you have a BB30 Quarq, you can use it on GXP with a Rotor BSA 30 bottom bracket. That's what I'm doing

You have to send the entire power meter back to them to change it Not entirely true. You can do it at home provided you have the proper arms available. Not recommended to do daily however.

Quarq service center is in North Dakota. Power 2 Max is in Germany I think? Quarq is in South Dakota. P2M has a North America office in Vancouver.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector v Quarq [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Zach. I thought you had to send the entire unit back. I know if you are converting from BB30 to GXP, you have to send it back. Thanks for the update

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not true either. Just need the donor arms. Both standard use the same attachment method. Like the above poster said, once you swap, just check for any changes and you should be good to go. Just completed a swap just like this with no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector v Quarq [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quarq told me if I wanted to convert to GXP to BB30, I would have to send the entire unit back and pay $450. This is why I went BB30 Quarq and BSA30 bottom bracket

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well of course. They aren't going to tell you to just swap it yourself as that is a service they offer. Sort of like the bike shop showing you how to service your bike properly (I know some will help, but general idea)

When you send your unit to quarq they swap arms and leave your unit alone. This can be length or bb standard change. However, it can be done at home. It requires some specific Loctite (about 15-20 bucks depending on where you get it). Then you just need a donor set of arms (quarq variant or a crankset from the 900 series cranks or similar). Then swap and check your calibration (might be hardest part for some if not aware of what to do).

Overall and easy task and saved my $400 after I bought the crank and sold the frankeinstein one I made with the leftover arms and spider. Granted, I don't have the quarq branded arms any longer, but have the equivalent in the Force 22 arms.

Also, I should add the the quarq elsa RS is different. It used a different attachement than the rest of the riken/red/elsa units. So It would be very hard to find another set of arms to swap easily. So in your case (since you wanted an rs unit) it was best to get your future state bb standard and use an adapter for now.
Last edited by: zachboring: Feb 28, 15 10:58
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector v Quarq [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 20mm spacers between my crank arms and pedals to widen my platform.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vectors are unlikely to work for you then, since the connectors on the inside of the spindle will be inaccessible.

Less is more.
Quote Reply