Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1st hard bike effort/FTP test in 30 months. The journey from Fat to Fit.
Quote | Reply
Ouch did that hurt.

I have been running consistently now for a month and have around 10 trainer rides in but I have not done any intensity. Tried the Coggan FTP test protocol. The first 5min set killed me averaged 267watt for the 5min, started conservative and built up.

For the 20 min I pick a wattage of around 210-230 and watched my heart rate drift very slowly for the 20min from the mid 150's to low 170's. I ramped up the power a bit in the last 10 min and went fairly hard for the final 5.

I noticed that my legs were burning at a far lower heart rate then when I used to race. The only thing I have to compare it to is running and Hockey (I have worn my heart rate during 2 shinny type hockey games) and my heart rate was lower for perceived effort on the bike today.

My Max HR I have observed in the past few months was 192bpm. My avg. HR today during the FTP test was 164. My average wattage was 220W. So calculated FTP for moving forward with interval training is
209Watts.

I will retest in about 3 weeks.
Last edited by: Triagain2(FTDA): Feb 28, 15 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: 1st hard bike effort/FTP test in 30 months. The journey from Fat to Fit. [Triagain2(FTDA)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 1st hard bike effort/FTP test in 30 months. The journey from Fat to Fit. [Triagain2(FTDA)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My legs gave out way before my heart for my first 3 months on my kickr.... silly legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Keep the focus forward and working daily to chip away at your goals!

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: 1st hard bike effort/FTP test in 30 months. The journey from Fat to Fit. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw you replies in the "Do not quite racing" thread.

I was not lazy for the past 30months. I had to give up cycling / running as I built my family a home ( I also helped renovate a friends house, and took on a few projects for another friend in the winter leading up to building our house). For well over a year I worked a full time job and put in 6-8 hours every evening and 12-14 hour days every weekend. for the first part I took an evening off, but for one stretch I spent 50ish days straight with no rest.

What happened though was I picked up fast food on the way home and more often then not I ate junk when I was on the site. I worked my ass off, but I easily out ate my work output. By the time I noticed the weight was piling on I had already created some bad habits.

I kept telling myself I would change my eating after this next meal, and I deserved that meal for the hard work. The lies I kept telling myself were as real as the weight I was putting on. LOL.

Well now it is time to stop. I built my family their house, now for the sake of my own well being, and the ability to be the father to my children I always wanted to be I have no choice but to get myself back on the right tracks.

None of this is excuse, it is just my story, and I own it, it is no one else's fault. The same will be said when I succeeded and turn it around. I will own that as well.
Last edited by: Triagain2(FTDA): Feb 28, 15 11:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suck didn't it!!! I totally sleuthed after my tri in October and decided to get motivated again in early Jan, amazing how much weight I gained and power I lost.

Curious, why do you need to retest in about 3 weeks? Is it according to a plan or just because you think you'll need to. I could see bumping it up a few watts in 2-3 weeks and retest in 4-6 weeks.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: 1st hard bike effort/FTP test in 30 months. The journey from Fat to Fit. [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As this was my first dose of intensity on the bike for my legs (not my cardiovascular system as I play some intense hockey games) I believe that the wattage I put out today will be low to use as a basis for my zones for more then about three weeks.

IOW I hope to improve very fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain2(FTDA) wrote:
As this was my first dose of intensity on the bike for my legs (not my cardiovascular system as I play some intense hockey games) I believe that the wattage I put out today will be low to use as a basis for my zones for more then about three weeks.

IOW I hope to improve very fast.

You will as long as you keep at it. Frequency is key here. I'd bet you gain 15 to 20 watts after four to six weeks. Then the incremental gains will be smaller.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply