Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Barcelona Area riding Input
Quote | Reply
If any STers are from the area, I was wondering if it might be worth packing my bike or renting one locally. I really only have the opportunity to ride early Tue-Wed-Thu AM for 90-120 min max (depends on when sun rises.....need to be done at 8:30). I know it seems like a long way to take a bike, but I have an IM in 28 days and due to Canadian winter, the riding has been minimum and have 2 weeks on the road without access to bike and swim coming up, so might still be worthwhile

As a point of reference, my hotel is at this location: Avinguda Diagonal, 205, 08018 Barcelona, Spain
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Feb 28, 15 5:22
Quote Reply
Re: Barcelona Area riding Input [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are pretty close ( 10' ) to road N-II (flat terrain) or road "La Roca" (plenty of hilly rides from there). You also have a Tri store across the street where they rent bikes: http://www.esportissim.com/...ion-noticia/307.html.
I don't think you'll be able ride before 7am though.
PM if you need more info.
Last edited by: pbateman: Feb 28, 15 7:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many clubs nearby but the club I use is on other side of town next to a tri shop - I recommend Google "Pools" and just get a week pass at one near by and use the pool and Spin assuming you have correct cleats on your shoes.

Riding in town will be useless (dangerous) at those hours. Running on the coast is great and would be best use of your time at those hours......

No MWC for me this year I am happy to say. But I am in Spain for work frequently and know my way around and ride with local club too on weekends.

Have fun...and good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no cycling advice, when I was there I stuck to running for the week. But I'm posting to note how insanely jealous I am, BCN is hands down my favorite city in the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Barcelona Area riding Input [frankis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frankis wrote:
I have no cycling advice, when I was there I stuck to running for the week. But I'm posting to note how insanely jealous I am, BCN is hands down my favorite city in the world.

My daughter is living in Tarragona and she said this in a FB post earlier today. I am hoping to convince Mrs. Billabong to let me do IM Barcelona in 16

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Barcelona Area riding Input [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My division has had a few exchange trainees from Barcelona come over and learn at our center for a few months at a time. I wish we could go on-site to do some training ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Barcelona Area riding Input [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
frankis wrote:

My daughter is living in Tarragona and she said this in a FB post earlier today. I am hoping to convince Mrs. Billabong to let me do IM Barcelona in 16
...cool, last time I was in Tarragona was back in 1988 on a solo bike tour adventure that was broken up for 3 days in Barcelona for a sequence of being totally drunk or recovering and hung over. Good times. I was actually in the area the day Andy Hampsten won the Giro on Stelvio, but was on bike and all day and missed the coverage of that stage.

It sounds like the best use of my time is running and looking to see if I can run to a pool early morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Barcelona Area riding Input [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MWC is a big event for my business unit. It is pretty well wire to wire customer and partner meetings from 9 am till past dinner, so early morning is the only window to do any fitness. So it sounds like it will be running outside and hotel treadmill steep hills to keep the bike fitness (that seems to work well in general when I lack access to biking).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Terra Diversions. When in Barcelona last year we rented a bike and self-guided GPS unit from them....it was awesome (scary at first but very memorable). If you rent from them you just have to supply the shoes and they provide the bike and helmet. If you bring your bike you can still rent their self-guided GPS. We opted for the northern mountain route but they have a few others (routes along the coast, etc.). Since it is a self-guided GPS you can pick it up and use at whatever time is convenient for your schedule.

I will say that leaving from the shop in the morning can be a little unnerving when not familiar with the area, surroundings or school traffic; however, after 5 - 10 miles you are in the mountains and have Spain to yourself.
Last edited by: songmak: Feb 28, 15 16:50
Quote Reply