Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If You Need Your Knee Injected
Quote | Reply
It would surprise you how many of us have had knee injections for any number of issues. Frequently I am asked about this scenario by athletes who want to stay "in the game" a little longer be they 38 or 68. Although many of the things I write about I've not had personal experience, (Sesamoid bone fractures, detox diets with coffee enemas - yuk - and atrial fibrillation) I have been on both ends of knee injections.

Today's blog post may help you. bit.ly/1FG9QtH

Thanks,

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: If You Need Your Knee Injected [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, one of these days. ...:(

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: If You Need Your Knee Injected [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doc,

Have you had any patients with PFPS taking these injections? If so, what have been some of the results (positive or negative)?

Thanks!
G
Quote Reply
Re: If You Need Your Knee Injected [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but I don't have any experience with that.

Although the point is injections in general, and I picked viscosupplementation specifically, so many who visit this site will one day be at the pointy end of an orthopedist's needle, it's nice to know that they have lots of company.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doc John...such as in the sex toy brand?

Serious question though. As a bit of a porker and having had various issues in my left leg. Is there a way to know if I have an fracture as a result of shin splints without getting scanned and how long does it take to heal FULLY? Issue come back every time I run more then 3 times a week. taking it easy at 6min k's

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had Euflexa injections in the winters of '13 & '14.

I'm 53, a lifelong runner (with interruptions for injuries), 5'8, 158, and that old football hyperextension injury caught up with me in my late thirties. I have and/or had a "pothole in my medial condyle, right upper (apologies for improper terms). After surgery with microfracture I was out of running for probably six years. I cycled the whole time. Slowly I was able to get back into running, It has been a struggle, and it is a razor knifes edge as to how much mileage I can increase w/out it biting back but I am up to an average of 28 miles / week. Five days a week that includes cycling and swimming. I have a rule that I never run without at least a 24 hour recovery from the previous run. Plus, I wear Hoka's.

This year I have decided to forego the injections and see what happens. I am hitting the foam roller and yoga 1-2 x / week and so far so good. It has been 14 months since the last injection. Am I feeling any residual effect?

Maybe I don't need them? When I did take them I really didn't notice a big difference. It still hurts from time to time but nothing that lingers and there is never any swelling. I'm happy without the injections.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 56 and have been getting SynVisc injections in my knee due to a high school basketball injury for the past 7 or 8 years. I tell people I have to get my oil changed about every 1000 miles of running. I have no meniscus in my right knee. This injection does help me and I can recognize when it's time for my oil change. The orthopede keeps telling me that I am accelerating a knee replacement. I nod my head as he readies the needle. I hope someday soon stem cell transplantation will be available for folks like me.
Quote Reply
Re: If You Need Your Knee Injected [BigCheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Cheese. Sorry to hear about your problem. From what little you tell us, I think the potential for a tibia stress fracture is pretty low. But most people, with a little time and effort, do seem to be able to get beyond them. If you're concerned, however, it's likely best to get an exam from a medical care giver who sees a fair number of runners, decide if an x-ray is in order, or possibly even a bone scan. It would also be nice to see if there's something you are unknowingly doing that contributes to the issue. This article from Runner's World magazine goes through that thought process.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/ask-doctor-shin-splints-or-stress-fracture

Secondly, Jordan Metzl wrote up a nice piece, also in RW, that I've copied for you here. See if that's not a help.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/inside-doctors-office-keep-shinsplints-away

Best of luck,

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: If You Need Your Knee Injected [M Ernst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M Ernst - from what you say, it would seem that there's very little down side to bypassing the injections. Keep the weight down if you can, and, as you are doing, think strategically about each aspect of your running to make it last as long as you do. Good luck.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply