Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lottery Races [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmatom wrote:
Mount Washington road race in New Hampshire. Only one hill. Awesome run, cardio-wise it felt like running a 5k for an hour and half plus.

Great one! I can't believe I forgot to put that on the list. This is exactly why I went to the ST community. I read about so many races I tend to forget about ones that I think would be awesome to do. I need to just right them down when I hear about them like I do other ideas.

Thanks for the tip!

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [Tracy T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for pointing that out! Appreciate the input!

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not all that special, but maybe because I'm local and cynical... but the Broad Street Run in Philly moved to lottery entry a couple years ago and it getting harder to get into.
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meathead wrote:
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:

7. Peachtree Road Race

If you are a member of the Atlanta Track Club, you are guaranteed entry into the PRR. If you live local it is a no brainer. If not, the lottery may make more sense because, after all, it is just a 10K. But if this is a bucket list race & you are looking for a guaranteed entry, joining the ATC is a way to get in.

It is supposed to be an awesome experience as the largest 4th in the world and one of the best 4th July races in the country, if not the best. Thanks for the ATC tip!

Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [gienopes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip!

Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a buddy that has contested the Barkley twice. He lasted 3 laps. That is an evil race.
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [atgnat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atgnat wrote:
I have a buddy that has contested the Barkley twice. He lasted 3 laps. That is an evil race.

Definitely has to go on the list just because of that last statement!

Curious:
What percentage of the race is 3 laps?

Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know if you have seen this. I found an interesting write up on the race here

Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [atgnat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atgnat wrote:

Better watch your buddy. Anyone who would voluntarily subject themselves to that kind of pain a second time...no telling what he'd be willing to do to somebody else, just for kicks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 laps would be 60% of the 100 or all of the 60 mile 'fun run' based on what I've read. Probably the hardest race in the world based on completion rate. What other race typically has NO successful finisher within the cutoff time?
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds absolutely insane. It is going on the list, but I am going to wait until I have a decent amount of ultra running under my belt first! Even elite ultrarunners have a tough time with that course from what I have read recently!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of the handful on your list that I am familiar with...

I know at least a couple of those races listed above are weighted lotteries - your number of tickets in the pool increases with the number of years you do not get drawn. Some poor bastard in the Hardrock lottery this year had 128 tickets in his pool. Monte Carlo simulations taking into account total tickets for each person in the pool and # spots available predicted that guy at like a 70 or 80 % chance of being drawn. Since he'll have 256 tickets next year, you can figure out what happened.

As someone above mentioned, Badwater is not a lottery. Once you have the required prerequisites under your belt, you submit a resume. The RD (and others) read and subjectively rank the applicants based on (perceived?) merit. It is a not a drawing.

I don't know if you threw RAGBRAI in there as a joke, but it is not a race. There may be a handful of idiots who "race" it each day, but that's a waste of a good RAGBRAI, in my opinion.

Many of these listed races also allow for extra tickets in the drawing by doing volunteer work at the previous year's event.
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dipsea
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good one! Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Came here to post this! I think it's 8.6 miles, all uphill average grade 12%!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next