Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Size 14 and 15 shoes. I'm sick of having to order shoes online try them on send them back rinse repeat and still end up with an okay to poor fit a month later.

Socks that fit size 14/15 feet.

Also the opposite, sizes under 8 with widths, manufacturers make these shoes but no one stocks them. I once spent a whole day going to every running store within 100 miles of me. Not one even had a set of shoes, any shoe is my size. I haven't bought running shoes except my mail order in 10 years.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [nbpi5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
id love to see a ton of hot naked models demonstrating the shoes. ive never seen that in a shoe store before. it would help with my captain canada workout right after my new shoe purchase.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Last edited by: veganerd: Feb 28, 15 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [TMorris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are they succeeding next to the big box stores? How do they keep a loyal customer base from simply ordering online for less $?

Key!

As you can see many of the answers here from customers focus on product - obviously you'll need product in the store, but it is secondary to the total experience and level of service that the customers feel the minute they step in the door of the store.

People can find any product they want and likely for less money online or physically elsewhere.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friendly staff for sure. My local store puts on an entire race series consisting of 3-5 races. Ppl eat it up, always a huge hit. Also a big selection on injury prevention as well as staff well versed in injury prevention and the "latest and greatest" techniques out there.

It's always cool when you can get a simple hint from one of the employees and it blows your mind!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adding something I believe not yet mentioned - decor. While not the top item, don't underestimate the great impression made on customers -paying a premium over internet shopping - when the displays and decor are fun and motivating. I've been in some local run and bike shops that are just beautifully laid out and cared for, and I enjoyed shopping in them as a result.

Again, not #1, but this is an easy way to make the shopping experience a highly positive one for the customer.

"Some guys they just give up living, and start dying little by little piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up, then go racin' in the street." Bruce Springsteen
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [scb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say botique brands, which ones do you mean?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give a discount for buying the same shoes the customer purchased the previous time. I think a lot of people go to a running store for the initial fitting, then buy replacements online. Giving a discount for the repeat purchase may help prevent that.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck is correct. Listen to people who have been in the industry more than the end users. What customers say they want and what they buy are not usually the same thing. You can quickly over inventory/SKU yourself out of business. Service and culture are king. Product is very secondary. People on this forum are a very small segment of who will be paying the bills. Especially if you consider the recent poll that asked where you buy shoes. It was the minority that shopped local. Sorry if that hurts to hear.

Best of luck,

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • A store with *both* "traditional" (i.e. big brand) and minimalist shoes. It seems it's always either/or...
  • Treadmill
  • In season clothing that's not marked up 120% - I mean, really....
  • Friendly/knowledgable staff (duh)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nbpi5 wrote:
Trying to get a few ideas. Obviously shoes, but what else would you like?

Prices less than MSRP. thats the #1 reason I don't step foot in my local stores. I work too hard for my money and I have no social obligation to support a local business. If a business wants my money they need to earn it. Competitive prices is step one for me.

Quote | Reply
If there was a store that actually carried the shoes I use in stock I would buy from them.

Not found in my local stores:
Muzino Sayonara
Muzino Hitogami
Asics DS Racer
Asics Fuji Racer
Saucony Type A6
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my 2 cents as we opened our store a little over 6 years ago...
You are only as good as your staff. As an owner I'll probably always have customers that want to see me or have them fitted by me but hire really good people that capture the vision you have for the store. Setting a culture and carving out a niche for yourself in your market is key. You'll never "make it" as I'm always learning, trying new things, and adding stuff to our stores responsibility. I completely trust my staff and have a great time working with them.

We started out with 8 different shoes. We grew slowly and added sku's and inventory gradually over time. I wouldn't change a thing about that. Now we are all over the place with types of shoes and that really helps the fitting process.

We do a lot of stuff for free. You have to add value to the customers experience, whether or not that means discounting shoes is up to you.

Our little building has a Physical Therapy Clinic, an orthotic lab, a medically oriented gym, and a circuit training style gym all under one roof. Having businesses work well with each other really helps in the slow times of year and especially those first few years we were trying to get off the ground. PIck your neighbors wisely!

Josh
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
nbpi5 wrote:
Prices less than MSRP. thats the #1 reason I don't step foot in my local stores. I work too hard for my money and I have no social obligation to support a local business. If a business wants my money they need to earn it. Competitive prices is step one for me.

I suggested that in a previous thread and was near crucified. Why pay 130$ for a pair of shoes when I can literally find it at 50-60% that price online probably also on a width that fits me better. I rarely buy shoes in a LRS unless they are having a clearence sale. The trendy runners can keep the store going by buying at msrp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://running.competitor.com/...-20-beer-taps_118734

Quote:
Shoes & Brews is a full-service running store with an artfully designed shoe wall and all the apparel, accessories and nutritional items you’d find at any running shop. But this store also has 20 microbrew taps serving up good beer from the best breweries along Colorado’s Front Range. In what should come as no surprise, it was started by a group of enterprising runners (including three former collegiate runners) who have an inkling for craft beer.

“Shoes and Brews is a business built on two passions coming together—running and beer,” says Ashlee Velez, one of the founders of the business. “It’s all about being a social runner and a social beer drinker under one roof.”

http://www.shoesbrews.com/

https://www.facebook.com/shoesandbrewslongmont

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

RandMart wrote:
http://running.competitor.com/2014/11/video/beer-running-running-store-20-beer-taps_118734

Quote:
Shoes & Brews is a full-service running store with an artfully designed shoe wall and all the apparel, accessories and nutritional items you’d find at any running shop. But this store also has 20 microbrew taps serving up good beer from the best breweries along Colorado’s Front Range. In what should come as no surprise, it was started by a group of enterprising runners (including three former collegiate runners) who have an inkling for craft beer.

“Shoes and Brews is a business built on two passions coming together—running and beer,” says Ashlee Velez, one of the founders of the business. “It’s all about being a social runner and a social beer drinker under one roof.”

http://www.shoesbrews.com/https://www.facebook.com/shoesandbrewslongmont[/quote[/url]]

This is awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some things that I like. I live in a small city with only one store, but pulling in from others I have visited at different cities as well.

First and most important, staff. People that know what they are doing and make you feel like they know what they are doing. Not just intersted in selling shoes, but selling you the correct shoes. When I walk in, I'm greeted by name and also some chats about where I'm at with my training, etc.

Selection options. For example, Asics GT2000 vs. Brooks Adrenaline vs. whatever comparable model from another brand. Personally, I don't need availability of all brands, I'm good with about 4.

Return policy if improper fit. What the local store does is keep some as demo or donates to homeless shelter.

Accessories: I use Superfeet Insoles for example, but also Rollers, race belts, hydration options, lighting, etc. GPS accessories and the like.

I really like that our store has some crossover tri items, like goggles, kickboards, a couple of jammers and tri suits. Also, crossfit shoes seem to be a big seller for them.

Beer keg. Seriously, a store in Austin has a keg from a local brewer. You can have a cup or two while you visit, after a fitting, etc.

Group runs, but also, group training sessions. Again, a store in Austin even provides a couple of nice bathrooms with very clean showers in case you have to go elsewhere.

I'm a data junkie, so I love having a treadmill or two with video to help you see what you do and why they recommend what they do. An added bonus would be having a couple of treadmills setup for someone who may want to come in and run during cold weather, etc.

Just some thoughts, some maybe not to practical, but hey...it's almost a wish list.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [cricket1116] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cricket1116 wrote:
Here are some things that I like. I live in a small city with only one store, but pulling in from others I have visited at different cities as well.

First and most important, staff. People that know what they are doing and make you feel like they know what they are doing. Not just intersted in selling shoes, but selling you the correct shoes. When I walk in, I'm greeted by name and also some chats about where I'm at with my training, etc.

Selection options. For example, Asics GT2000 vs. Brooks Adrenaline vs. whatever comparable model from another brand. Personally, I don't need availability of all brands, I'm good with about 4.

Return policy if improper fit. What the local store does is keep some as demo or donates to homeless shelter.

Accessories: I use Superfeet Insoles for example, but also Rollers, race belts, hydration options, lighting, etc. GPS accessories and the like.

I really like that our store has some crossover tri items, like goggles, kickboards, a couple of jammers and tri suits. Also, crossfit shoes seem to be a big seller for them.

Beer keg. Seriously, a store in Austin has a keg from a local brewer. You can have a cup or two while you visit, after a fitting, etc.

Group runs, but also, group training sessions. Again, a store in Austin even provides a couple of nice bathrooms with very clean showers in case you have to go elsewhere.

I'm a data junkie, so I love having a treadmill or two with video to help you see what you do and why they recommend what they do. An added bonus would be having a couple of treadmills setup for someone who may want to come in and run during cold weather, etc.

Just some thoughts, some maybe not to practical, but hey...it's almost a wish list.

Interesting concept about keeping a demo pair, I like that idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nbpi5 wrote:
Some really good ideas. Keep them coming.

What about nutrionist, PT, chiropracters, etc..

This can be a good idea, but it's kind of a turn-off if it just becomes a means for them to build up their business. As an example, I went to a "injury clinic" night at a running store once. I had a sore foot (peroneal tendon attachment area on the outside edge of my foot) following a race. The PT looked at my foot and how I was standing and everything, and while he seemed to think my problem was simply from overuse, he also tried to sell me on paying over $100 for a gait analysis in his office where he would recommend new shoes. He was even trying to tell people how they could get their insurance to pay for it. That may be a good thing for a lot of people and I understand he's doing the clinic to get new business, I didn't like the feeling of being sold something I probably didn't need and the idea of committing insurance fraud (or maybe something close to it). I think general "lectures" on nutrition, mobility, etc. would be a better idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used "boutique" within the context of the running store world. So, brands like the ones on the non-exhaustive list below...
  • Icebreaker
  • Marmot
  • Patagonia
  • Oiselle
  • Tasc
  • Smartwool
  • Dynafit
  • Ashmei
  • Tracksmith

The above are simply examples and I haven't used all of them. The primary point being that local shops need to differentiate in some way and simply stocking standard items from the same big brands isn't going to create a destination shopping experience. Even if you don't want to pay (insert your threshold here) for a pair of shorts, it's nice to see what's out there and it makes shopping interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
Economist wrote:
nbpi5 wrote:

I suggested that in a previous thread and was near crucified. Why pay 130$ for a pair of shoes when I can literally find it at 50-60% that price online probably also on a width that fits me better. I rarely buy shoes in a LRS unless they are having a clearence sale. The trendy runners can keep the store going by buying at msrp

People do get passionate about it. As an economist opportunity cost is drilled into every decision I make. I put no value on "made in America" or "support local businesses". I'm not a charity.

With that said, I do see value in a local shop: when I'm learning something new or changing brands (shoes, bike, etc). I'll pay more the first time to make sure it's done right. After that, the implicit costs swing in favor of online shopping.

Quote | Reply
llewis wrote:
nbpi5 wrote:
Some really good ideas. Keep them coming.

What about nutrionist, PT, chiropracters, etc..

This can be a good idea, but it's kind of a turn-off if it just becomes a means for them to build up their business. As an example, I went to a "injury clinic" night at a running store once. I had a sore foot (peroneal tendon attachment area on the outside edge of my foot) following a race. The PT looked at my foot and how I was standing and everything, and while he seemed to think my problem was simply from overuse, he also tried to sell me on paying over $100 for a gait analysis in his office where he would recommend new shoes. He was even trying to tell people how they could get their insurance to pay for it. That may be a good thing for a lot of people and I understand he's doing the clinic to get new business, I didn't like the feeling of being sold something I probably didn't need and the idea of committing insurance fraud (or maybe something close to it). I think general "lectures" on nutrition, mobility, etc. would be a better idea.

My old go-to place in FL seemed to find a balance with this. They had an "ask a doctor" night, where they also brought in a few massage students. The doctor wasn't trying to sell their services or any products, but was pretty knowledgeable on common running injuries and how to prevent/heal them.

They also had a women's night with wine, some give-aways, and some product reps - including sports bra manufacturers. Way more comfortable demoing those without men in the store.

The worst store I went to in FL didn't let you run outside with the shoes, and didn't have a treadmill in store.

I tend to stay away from lecture nights... it sounds boring to me. But then again, some people are into that.
Last edited by: ratherbeswimmin: Mar 3, 15 8:03
Quote Reply

Prev Next