Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
I cant answer that as I simply based the 88% based on best ftp est from prior year, with no degradation over winter, when in reality ctl fell from a high of ~142 last fall, down to 100.5 at low point this winter and only sits at ~107 now.

Nice! About how many hours a week do you need to hit those two CTL #'s?

http://www.fraserbicycle.com/
Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [PPI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
currently under 12hours last 2 weeks, had been 10.5 for winter as target(1.5 per day)

I think july was max at 78 hours total

this is all bike, no swim or run for me
Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
mortysct wrote:
Greg66 wrote:
5 min warm up
20 min int broken into 5 min at 110% FTP; 5 min at 90% FTP; 5 min at 110% FTP; 5 min at 90% FTP
10 reco Z1
Repeat the first 20 min int
5 min warm down.

No wai that is doable. After 5 mins@110% I need 5 minutes at 50%, not 90%, before I can repeat it.

It should be doable if your FTP is set correctly *in theory*. However this isn't a great workout if you have intentions of riding again the next day. Spending 20 minutes right around your FTP (with 10 minutes of that touching your VO2-Max range) is going to damage your ability to train the next day - at least effectively.

Performed the workout as written. I found my cadence low (85) as at my specific gearing I was sort of between gears (I perform all of my indoor training on rollers).
Second session I average a little more then the 1st as I rode on average around 95% FTP.

I think next time I perform it I will be flipping the 20min workouts around. So the 90% comes fist and third.
Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [Triagain2(FTDA)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My FTP is ~300. If I were to scale my FTP to a safe low 290 I know that I could do that set. Jumping between 320 and 260. However, jumping between 330 and 270 would be VERY very hard. I do 5 minutes repeats at vo2max efforts at 335-340w.

Maybe my FTP is too high. Maybe my vo2max is too low. Maybe you should bump your FTP up if you can handle that workout ;)

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:
My FTP is ~300. If I were to scale my FTP to a safe low 290 I know that I could do that set. Jumping between 320 and 260. However, jumping between 330 and 270 would be VERY very hard. I do 5 minutes repeats at vo2max efforts at 335-340w.

Maybe my FTP is too high. Maybe my vo2max is too low. Maybe you should bump your FTP up if you can handle that workout ;)

That's kinda what I was saying as well. My FTP is 280 and I know that I would have no trouble at all spending 5 minutes at 308 (1.1x FTP), but then following that up with 5 minutes at 252 without a recovery would be nearly impossible. Let alone do it twice... with no recovery.

Now - put 2-3 minutes of recovery in there and you have a pretty good session, although I am not sure what good going from VO2 Max to Sub LT to VO2 to Sub LT would do for you. IE - what would be the goal of that session?
Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:

I just performed my first FTP test in over 30months on Saturday.
I will perform some intensity type workouts over the next few week using the FTP number I generated, then I will retest.
Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
mortysct wrote:
Greg66 wrote:
5 min warm up
20 min int broken into 5 min at 110% FTP; 5 min at 90% FTP; 5 min at 110% FTP; 5 min at 90% FTP
10 reco Z1
5 min warm down.

No wai that is doable. After 5 mins@110% I need 5 minutes at 50%, not 90%, before I can repeat it.

It should be doable if your FTP is set correctly *in theory*. However this isn't a great workout if you have intentions of riding again the next day. Spending 20 minutes right around your FTP (with 10 minutes of that touching your VO2-Max range) is going to damage your ability to train the next day - at least effectively.

Having set this hare running, perhaps I should add some more information.

I've been given "over/under" 2x20 workouts by my coach. The over and the under are set as wattage ranges, rather than as specific numbers. My last FTP test was a few months ago, and I suspected it had changed. The ranges I had been given seemed to me to reflect a higher FTP than my last test, guestimated by my coach.

From that, I took a guess that the over/under were set at 10% over and 10% under FTP.

I did one of these over/under session on Tues, and by chance, did a 20min FTP test this morning. As it turned out, my FTP came out a little higher than I had guestimated it to be (coaches don't have a monopoly on guestimates).

With that all on the table, this is the corrected version of what I had been set:

5 min warm up
20 min int broken into 5 min at 105-110% FTP; 5 min at 85-90% FTP; 5 min at 105-110% FTP; 5 min at 85-90% FTP
10 reco Z1
5 min warm down.

And my performance on Tuesday was as follows:

Int 1: 106%; 86%; 108%; 88%
Int 2: 105%; 85%; 108%, 84%.

From which it is clearer that I am operating for the most part right at the most lenient ends of each range - just - and not at +/-10%. And also that the unders are quite a bit harder to hit than the overs.

I followed the over/under session 24 hours later with a 10min w/up, 45 mins at ave 80% of FTP (as I now know it to be), and 5 mins w/down. The FTP test was 48h after that.

I do not feel broken, nor am I unable to walk...
Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [Triagain2(FTDA)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The workout yesterday looked like this:

Warm up: 5min @ low Z2
3 x 1 at hiugh cadence with 1 min rest between
5 min @ high Z2

Main Set: 5 x 3min at 120FTP with 2 min rest
7min at mid Z2
5 x 3min at 120FTP with 2 min rest
Cool down:
7 min at mid to low Z2.

Pulled it off. Averaging a little over 122% of last measured FTP.

I found this workout to be very hard, yet doable. By the last interval I was not a happy camper!
Quote Reply

Prev Next