Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High hamstring strain at tendon attachment
Quote | Reply
has anyone experienced this and what rehab protocol did you take? How long did it take to rehab? I'm going into month 3 and am very frustrated. Have cut out the running but am still cycling and swimming. Cycling doesn't hurt but am wondering if I should continue? Am doing ART and acupuncture for rehab. Thank you!!!
Quote Reply
Re: High hamstring strain at tendon attachment [lisasrunning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does this feel in your hamstring? I'm getting some hot spots in my hamstring when I sit for a while when not exercising. Just started happening over the last week. Could be due to me starting up some speedwork last Tuesday. I started icing and putting a compression wrap on it. It doesn't impact my workouts, just weird to get this hot spot/burning sensation when I am not working out.
Quote Reply
Re: High hamstring strain at tendon attachment [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the belly of my hamstring would get pretty bound up and have "hot spots" when I ran. Thus I had to cut out the running. Definitely didn't want to do more damage than is already done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not going attempt to diagnose the problem, but for as long as I've been running somewhat seriously (a few years), I've felt tightness in my hamstrings. Oftentimes, this is caused by tight hip extensors, which are common in most people who spend a significant portion of their day seated. I recommend that you get a copy of Anatomy for Runners by Jay Dicharry, and read through it. It may be the best $12 (on Amazon) you ever spend as a runner, even less expensive as an e-book.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's what I have, it's high hamstring tendinopathy/tendinosis.
I've had it for about 3 years, likely caused by a leg-length imbalance that finally manifested itself.

I did several months of PT (and I still do the PT routine on my own 2-3x per week).

I can only run about 2x per week and can't push the pace with intervals any more.
Cycling is generally fine, even very hard interval work.
With swimming, I do more pulling and less kicking to help mitigate the strain.
Deep water pool running is OK, as well.

I was offered prolotherapy (sp.?), but it is not covered by insurance and even the doctor said it really is not indicated for HHT.
They also discussed surgery to re-attach the partial tear, but that could entail a long rehab, including some sort of halo thing in my hip, so I passed.

You should have an MRI to determine if there is a tear or any other damage.

Wish I had the magic bullet for you, but it could be a long slog, depending on what you've got.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you referring to the tendon attachment at the knee or in the butt? If it's the attachment in the butt, the problem may not be with the hamstring but rather manifesting itself there. If your ART therapist is good, get them to prod around the deep gluteal muscles (piriformis, obturators) as well as some of the adductor attachments (adductor magnus) to see if they feel any trigger points.

Here's an excellent article on the topic:

http://thegaitguys.tumblr.com/day/2015/02/09

Otherwise, search in this forum for "high hamstring tendinopathy" since it's a recurring topic. One thread I found particularly useful for ideas is:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like someone else said--get an MRI to confirm the diagnosis and find out the degree of the tear. I'm on year three from diagnosis, and it still is a niggling pain. I've been told by my sport doc that this type of injury can linger....

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Feb 19, 15 14:12
Quote Reply
Re: High hamstring strain at tendon attachment [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will a high hamstring tear cause a large bruise? I was running Thursday morning, just one mile into my easy 5 mile run and
I felt a severe pain in the back of my right leg. Later that morning my leg became swollen to the extent that
you could tell the right leg was bigger than my left leg even while wearing loose fitting track pants.

Now there's a rather ugly bruise on the inside of my thigh about the size of a half sheet of copy paper. I've had hamstring
issues a few years ago but certainly not like this. Is this just a pretty bad hamstring pull or something else?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Mar 2, 15 16:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coming up on one year for me. Took about 3 months of intense PT to get to the point where I could run again at any speed (my cycling got very good - every cloud......). Therapist said it would be slow to heal. Can now run slowly and cycle as much as I like but there is still something not right - as if I am one sudden movement (such as a little slip on ice) away from a month off from running.

good luck and be patient
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coming up on 3 years for my HHT. So in my travels for a cure I have seen some people get immediate relief through ART and getting mobility into their tight hip flexors, the rest of us unlucky bastards have to find out if it's the piriformis? lower back issues, hamstring tear, or in my case the cycling rotated my hips forward and put bilateral stress on both hamstrings (yes that was redundent). Actually took time off the bike and my recovery has been going well of late and I can run again. Hope you are in the tight hip flexor group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
strain at connection to ischial tuberosity?

if so, stop riding the bike for awhile. In the multiple cases that I've dealt with this (myself and about a half dozen athletes), major progress wasn't made till there was a secession of riding. The grinding while seated on the soft tissue isn't doing you any favors. Swimming and PT will be your two sports for the time being.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Length of time depends on how long it takes you to find the cause and correct the issue. Hamstring strain is a symptom of a larger bio mechanical problem. Look at the pelvic asymmetries and muscular imbalances resulting in altered mechanics and muscle use.
Quote Reply
Re: High hamstring strain at tendon attachment [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
usually bruising is an indication of a pretty bad tear. I would not recommend running at all! You might want to have that looked at!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes I'm now coming to the conclusion that it has to be torn for it to have that much bruising. I have not had a chance to go to a non-internet doctor yet due
to work but I will. riding my trainer very easy doesn't seem to hurt any more than usual but I'm not sure I should even do that for now.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been dealing with this issue since late January. In my case I think it happened because my orthotics wore out after five years of use. I got new ones in early March and I've been steadily improving since. I've also been doing hamstring exercises etc. but I think the main thing was fixing the orthotic. Another option that was suggested to me is PRP injections. My doctor, Lewis Maharam, does do this for people with this injury, and as I understand it the relief is substantial. Here is his website here: http://runningdoc.com Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: High hamstring strain at tendon attachment [gwaveswims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the story of my running...I have battled this injury for about 3-4 years. Whatever you do--do not try to run through the pain! I have had people (who are clueless about this) give me various useless advice from...run through the pain, wrap the hamstring, deep tissue massage, stretch the hell out of it, etc.). I have only gotten relief from working on my running form and avoiding over-striding, seeing a really, really good PT who has done dry needling, Class IV laser and gave me homework to do. Biking use to irritate it as it standing up while pedaling on the bike. I would also have the PT examine if it is lower back/piriformis related. I am running again but slowly, managing my form very carefully and doing eccentric stretches and little to no speed work. I injured my hamstring doing speedwork as opposed to volume.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: High hamstring strain at tendon attachment [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this because guess what I just got diagnosed with......

Quick recap - Chicago Marathon is my "A" race for the year. Just did the Chicago R&R Half a bout 4 weeks ago in 1:39:XX, only about 30" off my VDOT predicted time (46 VDOT). Following that race, my glute has been sore and it has gotten progressively worse. Rolling with TP ball, foam rolling, using heat, etc. No real relief.

Went to doc / PT today adn they diagnosed me. Now I am uncertain about what to do for Chicago. VDOT charts say I should be able to run sub-3:30, which would be a BG time for my age (49, but 51 for Boston race date). Training had been going really well until now....up to mid-50's weekly mileage (did 60 last week) and was feeling pretty good.

Everything I have read so far indicates that I am pretty much stuck with the injury through the marathon and PT will only help mitigate the symptoms.

Has anyone had any success with a cortisone shot for this injury? The idea of running for 9 weeks with this is not too appealing. Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i thought i had a HHT but wasn't sure. told my sports doc something just didn't feel right and wanted an MRI. i had a stress rxn/fx in my pubic rami. caught it early, 6 weeks off running completely but still rode/swam.
then a very slow build back up. all the ART and rehab won't do a thing if it's something else and you keep tweaking it every time you do something.
hip flexors and lower back on both sides are likely to be tight. also don't for the upper part of the psoas either. get a lacrosse ball and get it in there.

edit--repsonded to the wrong person.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Last edited by: bmeer: Aug 12, 15 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a grade 2 + tear of the bicep femoris. It was mid way down, but due to the tightness was felt at the insertion point at the glutes. I was at the physio the next day and went 3 times per week for the first 6 weeks.

I was back on the bike for 10mins inside 2 weeks. VERY EASY.
4 weeks I was able to complete easy 1hour rides safely.
5 weeks I could start some more strenuous riding.
8 weeks I was in full training but could always feel alittle ache in the hamstring.
12 weeks racing at elite level again.
3 months fully functional, but lacking confidence.
6 months got my confidence back.

Worst injury I ever had. I felt some discomfort in the hamstring for 6 months off and on. More importantly I lost alot of confidence in my hamstrings generally.

Things needed to concentrate on:

1. Do whatever you have to do to avoid have scar tissue forming.
2. strenghten the hammies
3. lengthen the hammies, glutes and hip flexors.

Dry needling was very uncomfortable but worth it.
Last edited by: Rocketman: Aug 12, 15 18:55
Quote Reply
Re: High hamstring strain at tendon attachment [Rocketman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I have the same injury - am just working through the diagnosis process with physio/medico now. If I may ask:

How was yours diagnosed?
What else did you do apart from the dry-needling?
What techniques did your physio use?
When did you start swimming again?

Any other background appreciated.

thanks!
Quote Reply