Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Direct drive trainer and second floor appartment
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that the noise associated with using a trainer on the second floor comes from the vibration between the tire and resistance unit contact. So based on this, a direct drive unit like a kickr or elite turbo muin, wouldn't have this issue? Has anyone tried one of these trainers on an upper floor and does there seem to be a noise issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive trainer and second floor appartment [reefman77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the elite turbo muin and live in a second (or third in American) floor apartment. It's pretty quiet inside the our apartment but the girl below complained about the noise. The apartment is not well insulated for sound so it is pretty loud for her below. It's a lot quieter than a traditional turbo I used to have but still not perfect. I put it on a yoga mat so maybe a thicker mat would help the situation

http://www.thedeludedcyclist.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive trainer and second floor appartment [reefman77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're trying to reduce the noise of a regular trainer, I've found that a trainer specific tire cuts the noise a good bit, I'm using a Tacx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Kickr in a 2nd floor apt. Between the carpet and Kickr are 2 layers of foam interlocking tiles (just for good measure...does it do anything to dampen noise? I dunno).

The guy below me, who I talk to fairly regularly, said he's never heard me while on my bike. FWIW, he never heard me when I was using a fluid trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive trainer and second floor appartment [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get a section of carpet and turn it upside down (pile facing the floor), then stick the trainer on top of that.

Should cut the noise enough for those below you.

I've BTDT under someone loud. It sucks out loud.

M
Quote Reply