Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone put a set of extra Di2 control buttons on the aerobar pads?
Quote | Reply
I read some posts where I think some folks have put Di2 buttons, for a third set, on the aerobar pads. Pictures? How did you wire?
What buttons did you use?

Thanks

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a set of extra Di2 control buttons on the aerobar pads? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two questions:

1. How would that be technically possible? A 5-port junction box is needed for the bar end and brake lever shifters and uses all the available ports.

2. Why the hell would you want to do that?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a set of extra Di2 control buttons on the aerobar pads? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran a pairto my water bottle cages.....just in case...

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a set of extra Di2 control buttons on the aerobar pads? [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coopdog wrote:

Do you think you could maybe hack an optical switch onto a google glass and shift by blinking your eyes? That would truly be something for the future of the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here ya go:

http://www.newjerseytriathloncoach.com/bike-stuff/di2-modifications

hope this helps
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a set of extra Di2 control buttons on the aerobar pads? [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coopdog wrote:

Sounds crazy, but that could actually end up useful in a crit if you're caught unaware while drinking...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a set of extra Di2 control buttons on the aerobar pads? [SteveCoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveCoz wrote:
here ya go:

http://www.newjerseytriathloncoach.com/bike-stuff/di2-modifications

hope this helps

Thanks, I had seen this design.

I little too custom for me. I would rather use something like the Tririg bars which would allow the use of the unmodified Di2 brakes and aerobar switches.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a set of extra Di2 control buttons on the aerobar pads? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Two questions:

1. How would that be technically possible? A 5-port junction box is needed for the bar end and brake lever shifters and uses all the available ports.

Reading some posts, some folks have been using the 2 port boxes to connect things together. So a combo of the 2, 3 and or 5 would seem to allow
one to connect as many things as possible.

Why, why not? I continue to just look at various what if's. This way when I build I might be able to get it the way I want the first time. Since I do a lot of climbing,
and spend a lot of time sitting up with my hands on the pads, I have done plenty of reaching to the aero bars to change gears. So might not be used that much,
but just brainstorming if it could be done technically and not be a super kludge. Whether I would do if I found possible is a totally different question.

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a set of extra Di2 control buttons on the aerobar pads? [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a guy in a gravel road race carry his water bottle in his middle pocket of his bike jersey. He could grab it easily but I noticed during the race he always had trouble putting it back. Was having a hard time shaking him so I waited until he took another drink. As soon as he tried to put it back....I was gone.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a set of extra Di2 control buttons on the aerobar pads? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Two questions:

Some soldering skills and you can pretty much do whatever you want. But, once wireless comes out we'll have even more options. Including having your coach ride alongside and change you into the gear he wants you in! Plus, someone will create an app so you can do that over a cell phone network. Then your coach can be at home, watch what you are doing and change gears for you!

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a set of extra Di2 control buttons on the aerobar pads? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
logella wrote:
Two questions:

Some soldering skills and you can pretty much do whatever you want. But, once wireless comes out we'll have even more options. Including having your coach ride alongside and change you into the gear he wants you in! Plus, someone will create an app so you can do that over a cell phone network. Then your coach can be at home, watch what you are doing and change gears for you!

Or some hacker could do the same thing and really have some fun.

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a set of extra Di2 control buttons on the aerobar pads? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Including having your coach ride alongside and change you into the gear he wants you in! Plus, someone will create an app so you can do that over a cell phone network. Then your coach can be at home, watch what you are doing and change gears for you!

That already exists apparently.

http://velonews.competitor.com/...-capabilities_280111
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Since I do a lot of climbing, and spend a lot of time sitting up with my hands on the pads, I have done plenty of reaching to the aero bars to change gears.

If that is the issue, why not set up your bike like this tri bike? Seriously. It's great for climbing, great for descending, and no reaching to shift via multiple di2 shifters:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a set of extra Di2 control buttons on the aerobar pads? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Since I do a lot of climbing, and spend a lot of time sitting up with my hands on the pads, I have done plenty of reaching to the aero bars to change gears.

If that is the issue, why not set up your bike like this tri bike? Seriously. It's great for climbing, great for descending, and no reaching to shift via multiple di2 shifters:

I have thought of that as an option.

I guess most folks just do not like to experiment much. I love to try new things and see what happens. I just saw the post where a person did this and thought
that was a cool idea. Needed? Probably not. But cool, yep. Just like Di2 is not needed, but to me seems cool. Disc brakes are not needed, but would be cool.

So I just continue to collect ideas and stuff that others have done which is on the bleeding edge. May be of no interest to most, but this is why I am
in this sport. To try non standard stuff.

That setup if wanted road is what the culprit bike could do also. Road shifters with full Di2 setup. To disc brakes. If it was just Tri setup .

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep up the experimenting.
There are many things yet to have not been done.

And, fyi, lots more pics of similar set ups here on one of our fb albums.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone put a set of extra Di2 control buttons on the aerobar pads? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Keep up the experimenting.
There are many things yet to have not been done.

And, fyi, lots more pics of similar set ups here on one of our fb albums.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If re-engineering a system think about reliability. Any hack is untested with time, you increase your risk of failure. If you are riding for hours/distances, then something to consider. I've done a lot of prototyping and there is no replacement for long term testing of even the smallest things.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the future is to have one set of buttons, on the down-tube. Neo-retro!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
That already exists apparently.

http://velonews.competitor.com/...-capabilities_280111

Took me two sentences before I checked the publication date. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
logella wrote:
Two questions:

Reading some posts, some folks have been using the 2 port boxes to connect things together. So a combo of the 2, 3 and or 5 would seem to allow
one to connect as many things as possible.

Why, why not? I continue to just look at various what if's. This way when I build I might be able to get it the way I want the first time. Since I do a lot of climbing,
and spend a lot of time sitting up with my hands on the pads,
I have done plenty of reaching to the aero bars to change gears. So might not be used that much,
but just brainstorming if it could be done technically and not be a super kludge. Whether I would do if I found possible is a totally different question.

Why on the pads and not the bull horns? Pretty much any reason you might have could be fixed with a better fit.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply