Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Considering pulling the trigger on another Felt. Experiences with AR5?
Quote | Reply
So my original road bike has found a career on the trainer (Felt ZW95, love the bike... just want to have something on the trainer full time at this point). And I'd like to share the outdoor training load for my beloved DA1... something that's easy to ride in town and in groups. Also something I could use for ITU sprint-distance if I'm looking to qualify for worlds (which according to reports will be draft-legal going forward... no tri bikes allowed).

I've got my eye on the AR5... I think they're starting to get tired of me at the LBS, always popping in to ogle this bike. Anyone own this bike? Any experiences to report? Would have liked to try to get a 2014 at a discount, but I gather there's nothing left over -- at least not in my size, I need a 48. All enabling comments also welcome. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Considering pulling the trigger on another Felt. Experiences with AR5? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't comment personally on the New felt AR design. I hear they are fantastic from all who have owned them. I have a 2011 AR5 upgraded to Ultegra and I love it. I would love one of the new framesets but can't justify upgrading as of yet. Only tricky bit I can imagine would be the rear brake... but I haven't heard major complaints. The BB is upgraded from my version which is great.. that is my only complaint with my bike is BB area stiffness. I would buy confidently.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: Considering pulling the trigger on another Felt. Experiences with AR5? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a 2015 AR5 a couple of months ago and have about 200 miles on it now. I'm a smaller guy so on a size 51- I couldn't find a 2014 either but while a discounted 2014 would have been nice I'm actually happier to have gotten the 2015 because the 11 speed 105 group is excellent. I had taken a bunch of years off of cycling and then started back into it about 3 years ago, so the AR5 was replacing a 1994 Giant. Maybe anything new by comparison would seem phenomenal to me, but the AR5 definitely does. It is of course lighter and stiffer than the old bike, but I also find it very comfortable, both in terms of the geometry and much less vibration coming from the road reaching me. And it is FAST- my average days on the new ride are as good as my best days on the old one. One thing I do notice though is it does get pushed around by cross winds a bit, but since you already have a DA that's probably nothing new to you.
I do see people on the forums say the rear brake mounting point is a pain, but I haven't had any trouble with it so far. No trouble of any kind yet really. Being an aero road bike there are a couple of things to note though. Clearances are pretty tight- it took some finesse to get my speed/cadence sensor to mount without the wheel magnet hitting the senor arm. My previous saddle bag had a strap that went around the seat post- that doesn't work anymore so I end up tossing my flat kit in a jersey or jacket pocket. And I wanted to get an aero water bottle to keep as much advantage from my fancy new frame as possible- I tried the Torhans Felt VR one but it didn't fit on my smaller frame, so I ended up with an Elite Crono one that works fine.
So far I'm really happy with it, I'd totally recommend it if your budget allows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding the AR4 Ultegra for a couple of years (2011) and love it. Good climber, great for being in aero for hours. There's not a single thing I don't love about this bike.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got myself a 2015 AR5 (size 48) last December, with 700 miles so far I'm quite happy with it, I find it comfortable and fast, that said , I've come from an entry level aluminum bike with Shimano 2300 so everything in the AR5 price range should feel faster :)

I actually prefer the 2014 AR5 paint scheme but I wouldn't buy a 10 speed 105 unless it was heavily discounted. The 105 5800 works really really good.

If you go for a size 48 you'll have some difficulties on getting 2 bottle cages to fit the frame. After some tries I've settled with the elite cannibal bottle cages and they work great.

My only complain is the handlebar, since it has a variable shape I'm not sure if I can fit clip on aero bar. This may be unfounded though, I'll find out in the next few weeks when I'll set it up for TT. Having said this, I also find the handlebar shape quite comfy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw one at a road race about a year ago. It was all decked out. Aero bike, aero drop bars, aero bottle, deep aero wheels. ultimate dentist bike. who does that guy think he is right?

pretty hilly race too, lots of short steep ups and downs, a little bit technical.

he won the masters race.

seems to work =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Considering pulling the trigger on another Felt. Experiences with AR5? [lsousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies, everybody! Good call re. the wind factor... I have to admit I'm still a little white-knuckled on the DA with my aero wheels in a stiff crosswind... don't have much in the way of body weight to keep things rubber side down. Though Rinny manages on the IA, so I have no excuse. ;) I'm totally fine in a race, where I know I'm not going to get blown into traffic, but training on a shared road is a bit of another story. Having my hands on the drops (road bike configuration) will probably solve that.

Great advice re. water bottle configuration on the smaller frame size, that's good to know. On the DA I run a seat-tube bottle plus BTA bottle for 70.3, just the BTA for Oly, and nothing for sprint. Good to know there's an option for 2 bottles on the small AR frame for longer rides, as I probably won't set up anything more than one of those mini bridge-type things in the way of aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
Thanks for the replies, everybody! Good call re. the wind factor... I have to admit I'm still a little white-knuckled on the DA with my aero wheels in a stiff crosswind... don't have much in the way of body weight to keep things rubber side down. Though Rinny manages on the IA, so I have no excuse. ;) I'm totally fine in a race, where I know I'm not going to get blown into traffic, but training on a shared road is a bit of another story. Having my hands on the drops (road bike configuration) will probably solve that.

Great advice re. water bottle configuration on the smaller frame size, that's good to know. On the DA I run a seat-tube bottle plus BTA bottle for 70.3, just the BTA for Oly, and nothing for sprint. Good to know there's an option for 2 bottles on the small AR frame for longer rides, as I probably won't set up anything more than one of those mini bridge-type things in the way of aerobars.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the AR5. I'd second the recommendation for the side-entry type cage on the seat tube. I've recommended and fitted a couple of them and after illustrating how to slip a bottle in an out of them I'm picking one up for my new AR as I think the motion to return the bottle to the cage is more natural and easier to get on the first swipe w/o looking.

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The AR is one of the bikes that really poses the questions of "why do people buy non aero bikes?"
have been on mine for nearly a year, ride is fantastic, it's definitely faster (I had a marked drop in TSS on usual rides when I first got it) than a round tubed bike and can be built light (if you care about such things) - mine is 7.2kg in a 58 with powermeter and clincher race wheels (started from frameset so it bears no relation to any standard spec).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerodynamically speaking, the AR is probably as good as any other big brand aero road bike.
There is some Tour magazine testing that is doing the rounds on the forum today which suggests that the AR and the Cervelo S5 are marginally ahead of the competition.

For the parameters that you have stated, the AR seems as good of a choice as any.
After that it comes down to your budget and personal preference, and the AR5 seems to fit the bill in those areas too.

As a bonus, you would probably have a good pseudo-TT bike with the AR if you were willing to switch out the handlebars for special occasions.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering pulling the trigger on another Felt. Experiences with AR5? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks SD, I was wondering about the gearing. I'm suffering on the climbs right now on an 11-23t and 39-53 in front (I've picked up a new cassette for the DA to help this issue)... 650c wheels. Do you think I'll be comfortable on the 12-25t with the stock crankset on the AR5? Or is the cassette something I should be looking to swap out if I'm doing any climbing?
Quote Reply
Re: Considering pulling the trigger on another Felt. Experiences with AR5? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
The AR is one of the bikes that really poses the questions of "why do people buy non aero bikes?"

a great question i consistently ask haha
Quote Reply
Re: Considering pulling the trigger on another Felt. Experiences with AR5? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ask "why do people buy EXPENSIVE non aero bikes?"

James Haycraft wrote:
cyclenutnz wrote:

a great question i consistently ask haha

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
Thanks SD, I was wondering about the gearing. I'm suffering on the climbs right now on an 11-23t and 39-53 in front (I've picked up a new cassette for the DA to help this issue)... 650c wheels. Do you think I'll be comfortable on the 12-25t with the stock crankset on the AR5? Or is the cassette something I should be looking to swap out if I'm doing any climbing?

Gearing is such a difficult specification. When I lived in Michigan I could get away with 53/42t crankset and 12-25t cassettes. Now that I'm in SoCal I struggle with a 52/36 crankset and 12-27t cassette for some of the steep stuff or long sustained climbs in the mountains.

For each individual I think gearing needs to reflect your riding style and terrain. I can't guess where the consumer is going to live that picks up the Felt so we often use a middle of the road range. Felt Dealers are often asked to exchange the stock components for similar priced items that better suit your aforementioned needs. Check on a 11-28t cassette and/or a swap to a full compact 50/34t crankset for a more apt climbing machine.

Don't be afraid to ask to get the bike set up as you want it from your Felt Dealer. Even with a small upcharge to swap the parts you'll be happier with your bike in the end vs. what I've cobbled together for the everyman.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Considering pulling the trigger on another Felt. Experiences with AR5? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again Dave, I appreciate the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
surroundhound wrote:

Gearing is such a difficult specification. When I lived in Michigan I could get away with 53/42t crankset and 12-25t cassettes. Now that I'm in SoCal I struggle with a 52/36 crankset and 12-27t cassette for some of the steep stuff or long sustained climbs in the mountains.

For each individual I think gearing needs to reflect your riding style and terrain. I can't guess where the consumer is going to live that picks up the Felt so we often use a middle of the road range. Felt Dealers are often asked to exchange the stock components for similar priced items that better suit your aforementioned needs. Check on a 11-28t cassette and/or a swap to a full compact 50/34t crankset for a more apt climbing machine.

Don't be afraid to ask to get the bike set up as you want it from your Felt Dealer. Even with a small upcharge to swap the parts you'll be happier with your bike in the end vs. what I've cobbled together for the everyman.

-SD

I had the same thoughts- I live in Northern Kentucky which is pretty hilly. Here's a typical route of mine so you can see how it matches your typical terrain. Usually a Cat 4 climb, or a few, so grades in the 6-10% range for 1/2 to 2 miles or so. Hills, not mountains, but enough to where my old bike's 53/39 and 13-23 combination was killing me. I did exactly as Dave recommends and had the dealer change it to an 11-28t cassette when they built up the bike, which they did with no problem at all and at a fairly low cost (I want to say around $50? Can't remember exactly). I'm now much happier with it on climbs, certainly it's not the bike holding me back now, just my level of fitness. I need to climb more hills...

https://www.strava.com/activities/243385275

I have even run into some short 20%+ grades and not had to walk, so I don't think I need to go any taller, and 52/11 is great on long, straight downhills. With 11-speed, there aren't any really big gaps.

Also, regarding the wind, I certainly notice it more on the AR relative to my old round tube bike, and I'm not very heavy either (5'5", 140lbs), but I haven't felt out of control or blown into traffic. Just an observation, didn't mean to worry you with it.

Quote Reply
Re: Considering pulling the trigger on another Felt. Experiences with AR5? [Spillicus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave,
Could you please shed some light on the differences between the AR models. I am thinking about getting an AR1 frame, but dont really understand the differences between that and the 2, 3 or 5. I ove the looks of the frame, but not sure where the extra cost is coming from. I asked my lbs and they didmt really have a great answer. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering pulling the trigger on another Felt. Experiences with AR5? [c1guess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
c1guess wrote:
Hi Dave,

Could you please shed some light on the differences between the AR models. I am thinking about getting an AR1 frame, but dont really understand the differences between that and the 2, 3 or 5. I ove the looks of the frame, but not sure where the extra cost is coming from. I asked my lbs and they didmt really have a great answer. Thanks in advance.

The types of carbon fiber are different between the AR models, though the shape is the same. Components are also higher-end as the model number gets smaller. They've got quite detailed descriptions on the website, as well as more information in the Technology section of the site describing the different carbon layups.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/...s/road/aero/ar2.aspx

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a 54cm AR5 and it's an absolutely incredible bike. Now I got carried away and upgraded it all the way around but I will never forget those first 300-400kms while it was stock. Handles great, feels nimble and cut through the wind with ease. You can't go wrong and the 2015 is 105 11sp so even more value for the money.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a Specialied (s-works if the money) Venge or a Cervelo S5. They are much better bikes and kill the AR5 in the wind tunnel.. I have ridden all three bikes and never even second guessed putting the AR5 back. I know some places that have some great deals so let me know if you're interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering pulling the trigger on another Felt. Experiences with AR5? [McPedalFoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McPedalFoot wrote:
Get a Specialied (s-works if the money) Venge or a Cervelo S5. They are much better bikes and kill the AR5 in the wind tunnel.. I have ridden all three bikes and never even second guessed putting the AR5 back. I know some places that have some great deals so let me know if you're interested.
What do you mean by "kill"? Is there some new data that was just released because all three frames are excellent aero choices. I'd buy the one that fits the best, is with in your budget, aesthetically turns you on and can get local service.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering pulling the trigger on another Felt. Experiences with AR5? [McPedalFoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McPedalFoot wrote:

There is so much wrong in this statement.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering pulling the trigger on another Felt. Experiences with AR5? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
McPedalFoot wrote:

There is so much wrong in this statement.

+1

There is no substantiation to this claim. The AR is as good if not a better performing bike in the real world and tunnel as the S5 and the Venge isn't even close (unless you go up to S-works). Here is some details backing up this claim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3BkR2l4vLg

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Feb 3, 15 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: Considering pulling the trigger on another Felt. Experiences with AR5? [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
I've got a 54cm AR5 and it's an absolutely incredible bike. Now I got carried away and upgraded it all the way around but I will never forget those first 300-400kms while it was stock. Handles great, feels nimble and cut through the wind with ease. You can't go wrong and the 2015 is 105 11sp so even more value for the money.

Like it!!

Even though I often use Felt in my forum name I am not actually brand specific, but the AR is at the top of my list if I were looking for a new road bike.
At the moment my 2009 round tube LOOK 585 is still serving me well for my road bike so fortunately I can keep some coin in the bank just a little longer and keep new bike fever to a minimal.

But I do like looking at that bike. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McPedalFoot wrote:

Taylor,

Where did you see wind tunnel data with the AR5, Venge and S5? The independent sources I've seen do not suggest the AR5 is killed (TOUR mag favorbably tested the aerodynamically identical AR3)
I don't think your Specialized shop Okoboji Expedition carries Felt. Where did you ride the AR5?

Looking forward to updating the database of information on the AR if you've got some insight on that tunnel result.

Thanks for your contribution,
SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply