Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wildflower Water Situation?
Quote | Reply

Anybody know what the water situation is like right now in Lake San Antonio?

I'm holding back on signing up until I hear the race format. I don't care to do the swim-run-bike-run thing again (plus the water quality was foul last year).

Hoping the recent rains will allow them to move back to the traditional swim start (certainly, the reservoirs here in Bay Area are noticeably fuller)

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Water Situation? [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water conditions have not changed since last year, if anything its worse.

Tri-California has already said they plan to use the S/R/B/R format again this year.

The problem is the natural watershed for San Anotion is pretty small and it will take several years to recover at the rate we are (are not) getting rain.

Most pople I know who don't like the revised format have moved onto other events for 2015.

Cheers,

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good to hear that the reservoir situation is better in the bay area. I live in Sacto, and haven't visited the bay area in awhile.

I'd anticipate Lake San Antonio to be the same or lower than last year. I'd love to be wrong, and, have the original format back.

I didn't think the water last year was that bad though - I've seen and raced in much worse. For the long course, I don't think last years format really altered the experience that much. But, I like the event so much maybe that's my rose colored glasses talking.

California needs the rain - for more than triathlon. Perhaps we'll get more by that time. Cross your fingers and toes.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have held back. No water, will let others have my spot. Snow skiing at some resorts just closed down since they do not have enough snow.
Not looking good.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the County's website, the water depth is at 48.65ft. Which is just above last years depth. The only way it will get lower than last year is through evaporation, the outlet is at 49 ft, so no more discharges can happen.

I didn't get to do the entire race last year (only did bike portion of a relay) so am looking forward to the different format a little, but will miss the normal format more!
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Water Situation? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Manofthewoods, yes - Bay Area reservoirs definitely improving.

Uvas Reservoir looks to be available again. USA Productions have confirmed they are moving the Morgan Hill Sprint back there this year (this race was moved to Oyster Point last year)

Rumor is that Threshold Racing may also be bringing the Reservoir Tri back to Uvas (this event was completely cancelled in 2014).

Chesebro and Stevens Creek Reservoirs, both popular OWS venues, look like they might also be available again.

All looking much better than 2014 at this time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be awesome. I was bummed they cancelled the Splash n Dash series last summer and hope that comes back too!

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How bad was the water, and how much did it affect the overall spirit of the race?

Part of me really wants to do the race (I had to cancel last year), but the other part of me is adding up the cost and hassle - it's a week of vacation from work, a fair amount of money on entry fees, an 11 hr drive from Oregon (22 hrs round trip).

Any thoughts?

Re: Wildflower Water Situation? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just registered. I think it'll be fun if it is the same format as last year with the split run. Something different. I've never done it before and it's been a bucket list race for me for a while.

Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
How bad was the water, and how much did it affect the overall spirit of the race?

Part of me really wants to do the race (I had to cancel last year), but the other part of me is adding up the cost and hassle - it's a week of vacation from work, a fair amount of money on entry fees, an 11 hr drive from Oregon (22 hrs round trip).

Any thoughts?

Come down and do the Auburn race 2 weeks later. water is not an issue. As tough as a race. Pick your distance on the same day.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Water Situation? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watching the runners coming into T1, was definitely a different scene, but very cool. A good vibe with a lot of people lining the ramp as they climbed out of the lower trail.

From people I talked with, visibility in the water was poor, with a fair amount of silt kicked up. The water level is up a half of a foot in the last 2 weeks, so hoping for more!
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Water Situation? [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The water was pitch black going out and coming into the shore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Capacity is lower than last year with capacity at 2-3% and no rain in the forecast and still 3 months to go. It's not looking to be even as good as last year from what I see.
http://www.mcwra.co.monterey.ca.us/...ts/ReservoirData.pdf

Re: Wildflower Water Situation? [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There just is no rain in the extended forecast. We had that one great stretch, then nothing.

Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Water Situation? [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lake is now a little more than a foot higher than last year, and at a whopping 5% of capacity!

With rain expected Saturday and Monday, might add a little more. So in the east, they are freezing and tons of snow, here in the west just the opposite.
Quote Reply