Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sprint races one week apart
Quote | Reply
In 6 weeks I have my first sprint tri and it is a race that I've barely missed the podium for the past few years. But.....I think I can make it this year. However, a week later is another important sprint race where I hope to qualify for Nationals. Is one week enough time to recover after an all out ~50 minute effort so that I can repeat again 6 days later? I'm sure some of the studs are laughing at this, but I've never trained this way so I'm not sure what would happen--perhaps it would improve my performance for the second race?
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint races one week apart [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah; you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only one way to find out. But if you are in decent shape you should be fine the next day if not later the same day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps I'm missing your question, but there is no qualifying required for USA Triathlon Sprint Nationals...other than the ability to pay $150 bucks for their sprint distance race. You can skip both races and still go to the Nationals in the sprint distance regardless.

That said, while the sprint distance is short, if I put 100% training/effort into hitting it for my "A" race, I wouldn't expect to perform quite as well one week later. Put another way, I wouldn't schedule "A" races back to back if my goal was top performance. But, it should be no problem to do both, focus on one or the other, and do well. Lots of guys at Nationals race the olympic distance on Saturday and the sprint distance on Sunday so the recovery time is about 22 hours. You'll be OK with a week.

Kentucky Mac wrote:
In 6 weeks I have my first sprint tri and it is a race that I've barely missed the podium for the past few years. But.....I think I can make it this year. However, a week later is another important sprint race where I hope to qualify for Nationals. Is one week enough time to recover after an all out ~50 minute effort so that I can repeat again 6 days later? I'm sure some of the studs are laughing at this, but I've never trained this way so I'm not sure what would happen--perhaps it would improve my performance for the second race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats the big deal? At worlds I did the Aquathlon on Weds, Sprint on Friday, and Olympic on Monday, all flat out.

Week rest between races, especially a sprint, is no big deal.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint races one week apart [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses, all.

lutzman wrote:
there is no qualifying required for USA Triathlon Sprint Nationals

Sorry, should've been more specific. It's to qualify for the Olympic distance.

lutzman wrote:
I wouldn't schedule "A" races back to back if my goal was top performance.

Definitely not my first choice, but out of about 8 races this upcoming season these are the two most important to me. Typically they're a month apart, but there was a date change.

lutzman wrote:
Lots of guys at Nationals race the olympic distance on Saturday and the sprint distance on Sunday so the recovery time is about 22 hours. You'll be OK with a week.

Yes, I did this in 2013 (USAT Nationals Oly, then the Sprint the next day). I didn't even try to go all out in the Sprint race in that case. Just did it because I was there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this once or twice. Its no big deal recovering in a week between sprint races.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint races one week apart [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:
I've done this once or twice. Its no big deal recovering in a week between sprint races.

Dat cuz Beyonce gives you a massage?
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint races one week apart [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J7 wrote:
JayZ wrote:

Dat cuz Beyonce gives you a massage?

Ha. Well it's funny you should mention it. The real Mrs. JayZ happens to be a yoga teacher blessed with magic in her fingers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Sprint races one day apart many times, even in my 40's. You'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint races one week apart [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The website says no qualifying race; you're right in that regard.

However, what this actually means is that if an athlete qualifies for Olympic distance nationals, they can opt to do the sprint in addition to or in lieu of the Olympic. An athlete can't sign up for the sprint without qualifying for the Olympic.

If this is wrong please correct me because I was initially confused by the no-qualifier-nationals concept as well until my coach explained it to me this way!

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint races one week apart [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abrown wrote:
The website says no qualifying race; you're right in that regard.

However, what this actually means is that if an athlete qualifies for Olympic distance nationals, they can opt to do the sprint in addition to or in lieu of the Olympic. An athlete can't sign up for the sprint without qualifying for the Olympic.

If this is wrong please correct me because I was initially confused by the no-qualifier-nationals concept as well until my coach explained it to me this way!

Nope. You've been misinformed. No qualifying required for the Sprint. Any and all athletes are welcome without qualifying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can do the Sprint in 50 mins you will do just fine.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be fine.
In 2 weeks, I have the first of two 70.3's, one week before the second.
If I can recover, you should be able to as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint races one week apart [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forsey wrote:
If you can do the Sprint in 50 mins you will do just fine.

That's what I was thinking.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint races one week apart [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well….today I finished the first of these two races. At your guys' recommendation, I didn't hold back and ended up snagging a podium spot (AG 3rd out of 68). Thanks for prodding me ;)

I imagine I need to be doing lots of recovery riding/running this week. Hopefully I can repeat that performance a week from today...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay podium!

Were you ~50 minutes?
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint races one week apart [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell NO..lol. More like 1:07. I'll take it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What were the distances. Specifically the bike. Was it 10 or 13 miles?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint races one week apart [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a reverse triathlon on an Air Force base. 5k run, 13.1 mile bike, 200 meter pool melee ...I mean, swim. http://www.raceonthebase.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, i hate those.

I was just guaging because that 1:07 is my 10 mile bike sprint time. And I was ready to race again in a couple days.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Last edited by: TheForge: Feb 28, 15 21:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
Well….today I finished the first of these two races. At your guys' recommendation, I didn't hold back and ended up snagging a podium spot (AG 3rd out of 68). Thanks for prodding me ;)

I imagine I need to be doing lots of recovery riding/running this week. Hopefully I can repeat that performance a week from today...

I wouldn't do LOTS of recovery. An hour flat out shouldn't require 6 days of recovery. I lay low for a couple days and if I feel recovered, I will do maybe 3, 5 minute 105% FTP efforts with 5 minutes rest in between on Tuesday. Then I do recovery for 2 days and a couple openers on Friday.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint races one week apart [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I will do maybe 3, 5 minute 105% FTP efforts with 5 minutes rest
Sounds good...I'm just a little gun shy. I don't want to F-up the race next weekend. Are some high intensity run intervals in order too...or is that pushing it? Or maybe a few half-mile repeats at race pace? Sorry, I'm making this up as I go along...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I am kinda assuming you took it a little easy (tapered or semi-tapered) for last week's race. So the race should not have been super taxing on your system, not that much different than a longer hard workout.

The benefit of the previous race would be that it was a good intensity workout and should help you build for a great result this weekend. A harder, but shorter, mid week workout should give you a good gauge of your recovery and help build that final top-end speed/fitness. If I feel pretty fresh on Tuesday, I know I am recovering well. If not, don't bury yourself trying to get another workout in.

if you want to ride and run kinda hard, try and limit the TSS for both to maybe 70 for the entire workout. This might be 3, 3 minute efforts at 105% on the bike and a couple similar efforts on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply