Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Plantar Fascia issues - Cycling only
Quote | Reply
I have plantar fascia issues in my right foot, even though I am not running at all, just cycling. It is the same foot I had plantar on about 15 years ago, which was corrected by Orthotics,

Is it a stretching issue, or perhaps I need a different insole?

Thanks

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fascia issues - Cycling only [cervelo-van] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it was pointing my toe towards the ground during portions of the pedal stroke. Adjusting cleat position, become aware of and correcting the pointing solved it for me. Stretching also helped. May not be your issue but something to consider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you wear flip flops (or something similar)? I had a pretty severe case of PF a number of years ago and eventually tied it back to a pair of flip flops.

CJ
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fascia issues - Cycling only [cjj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks no, never ever wear flip-flops

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, so you've got a real/actual sports injury ;-) - just wanted to throw it out there. With all the different stuff we do for training it's often hard to connect the dots. It took me a while to figure my PF situation out (after moving, I found them in a box after 2 years and w/in a day or so I could feel it again).

I also tied a) a calf issue I've had for years back to jumping rope (pushing off really hard for double and triple skips) and b) ITBS to punting footballs to my kids ("higher daddy, higher" uuhhhgg) - I would have sworn, and was convinced, it was from pushing too big a gear when doing hillwork but it ultimately was not.

CJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had it twice, once pretty bad. For me it is the result of high arches that fell as I got old(er). I'm 44. I had to get custom orthotics, wear them all the time (ie, no barefoot, no flip flops) and it went away after a few months. Taping my feet also helped alot as it provided additional support. The first time I got it I was 6 weeks away from a Marathon, and ran it anyway, and it sucked. Bad. This past time, it was in February at the start of tri season and I trained through it and was ok by mid-summer, but it sucked.

To your situation, I found that cycling did aggravate it, particularly if I went hard or got out of the saddle. I'd try some insoles, like Greenfeet,and see if that helps. My insurance (BC/BS) pays for one set of custom orthotics/year, otherwise they would be about $400/set.

If it gets bad, you can try the sleeping boot but I'd sooner just have PF than deal with that nonsense. Good luck.
Quote Reply