Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power investment [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
winchester wrote:
Money aside, which is the best power meter, for quality power measures?

A used wired SRM w/ a PCIV.

Oh wait, you said "money aside"...so NOS (if you could fine one!) would be even better.

As long as you have a computer that's not running Windows 8, I totally agree...
Quote Reply
Re: Power investment [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
do most pros use SRM? i guess that would help validate that answer. pro triathletes and tour de france riders?

SRM has long been the de facto power meter used by professionals for two decades. It's only recently that you can find different powermeters on pro bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Power investment [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
winchester wrote:
do most pros use SRM? i guess that would help validate that answer. pro triathletes and tour de france riders?

What pros use for equipment is never an indication of what pros think is best. Pros usually use equipment dictated by sponsorship deals.

Further, what pros think is best, isn't always best. It isn't even usually best.

True, although sometimes it is very interesting to see what "sponsor incorrect" pieces of equipment pros use. Like when Garmin-Sharp rode the Tour de France with empty Vector pedal pods and SRM power meters (SRM logos were blacked out using a Sharpie). I've also heard of stories of pro cyclists (e.g. Sammy Sanchez) who spend their own money to buy SRMs. Each rider on AG2R buys their own SRM out of their own pocket (AG2R has no power meter sponsor and their team budget is tiny).

For the cobbled classics, check out how many teams sponsored by Continental, Schwalbe, etc. are actually running FMB tubulars with the FMB logo blacked out. FMB doesn't sponsor any teams, so any team / rider that uses them is paying out of their own pocket.
Quote Reply

Prev Next