Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How do pros earn a living during the off season [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect that a large portion of pros are only pros as a way to legitimize their real job of coaching, personal training, or whatever.

800 WTC pros does not financially compute. The vast majority of those so-called pros would make more money working at McDonald's during the off-season than they make racing during the season.
Quote Reply
Re: How do pros earn a living during the off season [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
I suspect that a large portion of pros are only pros as a way to legitimize their real job of coaching, personal training, or whatever.

800 WTC pros does not financially compute. The vast majority of those so-called pros would make more money working at McDonald's during the off-season than they make racing during the season.

Do you think that 800 number will decrease next year since they are done away with some of the pro races, so it is less likely a "pro" can show up to an event with a 8 person pro field?
Quote Reply
Re: How do pros earn a living during the off season [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I very much doubt that there are 800 pros trying to make a living as a professional athlete, and if that is the case, the vast majority are delusional.

I suspect a number of people race pro because they can and it gives them the ability to pay $800 to WTC and do whatever races they want without having to sign up a year in advance. Now this might change with a number of races no longer having pro fields in 2015, but time will tell.
Quote Reply
Re: How do pros earn a living during the off season [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that's Pro! :)

Had to cut expenses to compensate for my total lack of income! I had no delusions at being pro at anything, but I did want to see how good I could get. Turns out, no better than I already was (not very). But I kept doing it anyway... for about 12 years because I loved it. Best time of my life... missing it now.

Quote Reply
Re: How do pros earn a living during the off season [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like you assume that only ironman has prize money races. When i used to race, there was money all over the world, all year long too. One countries off season is an-others full blown one. I raced down under, new zealand, europe, japan, etc., and all were lucrative. Those oppertunities are all still out there, even more so now that you can actually race in places like Abu Dhabi and a few other oil rich countries.

And keep in mind that all the A list folks get most if not all expenses paid for, and a lot of B level folks get a good portion paid for. I don't think i ever had to pay for more than a few trips out of 100's i took to do prize money races. I bet if you did into a lot of pros websites, you would see a lot of races you never heard of on their lists. These can provide start money, small prize purses, and bonus money from sponsors.

And for many, they live frugally and can get through lean months after a big score. For most if they make 8 to 10 grand, this can get through several months of no racing. Others that score the 6 figure payouts, well they can actually live in nice houses around the world and continue to make the payments while taking a few months off..
Quote Reply
Re: How do pros earn a living during the off season [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
As mentioned, many will have alternative forms of income. For example, Tim Don, who was 2nd at the 70.3 World Championship, coaches:

http://www.timdon.com/coaching.html

If a pro at the pinnacle of long course triathlon needs to supplement his/her income with coaching, that tells the story of how much money is(n't) in triathlon.

I think this is a little unfair on Tim (and I do realise you prob didn't intend it that way but comes across)

Tim was at the 'pinnacle' of his career at ITU, when he was the best of the best, a World Champion.

As an educated guess, the whole long course career you're referring to is an exit strategy (I actually hate that term we refer to it as transition strategy) toward life after racing, which it would seem is coaching for him. And it makes good sense for him to get involved in some long course racing for experience as that will be the majority of his clients I'd think.
Quote Reply
Re: How do pros earn a living during the off season [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Salmon Steve wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
As mentioned, many will have alternative forms of income. For example, Tim Don, who was 2nd at the 70.3 World Championship, coaches:

http://www.timdon.com/coaching.html

If a pro at the pinnacle of long course triathlon needs to supplement his/her income with coaching, that tells the story of how much money is(n't) in triathlon.

I think this is a little unfair on Tim (and I do realise you prob didn't intend it that way but comes across)

Tim was at the 'pinnacle' of his career at ITU, when he was the best of the best, a World Champion.

As an educated guess, the whole long course career you're referring to is an exit strategy (I actually hate that term we refer to it as transition strategy) toward life after racing, which it would seem is coaching for him. And it makes good sense for him to get involved in some long course racing for experience as that will be the majority of his clients I'd think.

I agree with your last part. But I don't think I was at all unfair on Tim. Quite the opposite. I never said he was at the pinnacle of his career now. I said he was at the pinnacle of long course triathlon (2nd at Worlds 70.3 is pretty close to the pinnacle). I agree the pinnacle of his career was his ITU racing and winning the World Duathlon Championship in 2002 and World Triathlon Champion in 2006, but even in the 'twilight' of his career he is still at the top of the sport in long course, which is impressive! The point still stands though - which is that there is so little money in the sport that the pros must supplement their income elsewhere.

I've met Tim and he's a super guy and have enjoyed a couple of beers with him. I would certainly never say anything disrespectful towards him!
Quote Reply
Re: How do pros earn a living during the off season [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are anything but "regular"
Unless you say überregular ;0)

Re: How do pros earn a living during the off season [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep
Quote Reply
Re: How do pros earn a living during the off season [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

We're on the same page ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next