Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Di2 or red 22? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
di2 road brakes wouldn't be very aero!

h2ofun wrote:
Those buttons on the brakes seem pretty small. Seems like a better option is to use the Di2 road brakes?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 or red 22? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
di2 road brakes wouldn't be very aero!

h2ofun wrote:

Those buttons on the brakes seem pretty small. Seems like a better option is to use the Di2 road brakes?

But are they more functional?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 or red 22? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't pay for di2 the fact that it shifts electronically doesn't make me faster and shifting from bullhorns isn't like changing the game. if i'm out of aero I'm stomping and not typically trying to shift. I bet it weighs like a lb more too if that means anything annnyyywayyy di2 isn't worth a lot of money to me, I would rather have money for other stuff. If they're the same price then idk but I wouldn't pay a bunch of money for shifting cause sram red would definitely do the job and would be easier to deal with. probably lighter too idgaf that probably helps a bit
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 or red 22? [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
I wouldn't pay for di2 the fact that it shifts electronically doesn't make me faster and shifting from bullhorns isn't like changing the game. if i'm out of aero I'm stomping and not typically trying to shift. I bet it weighs like a lb more too if that means anything annnyyywayyy di2 isn't worth a lot of money to me, I would rather have money for other stuff. If they're the same price then idk but I wouldn't pay a bunch of money for shifting cause sram red would definitely do the job and would be easier to deal with. probably lighter too idgaf that probably helps a bit

Spoken like a man with zero knowledge and experience. Congrats.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 or red 22? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spoken like a man with a dick in his ass nice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:

For the last ten years I have been riding a heavy non aero round tubed steel bike and have not done too back. So unless you have a real old bike like mine, I bet your bike I would offer
was way more money than needed to be spent also. :o)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:

Jean-Jacques Rousseau has an incredibly apt quote that you should read...

Point is, why add your $.02 when it isn't even worth that?

Both 6870 and 9070 are lighter than their mechanical counterparts in road trim, and the difference in TT trim is negligible. This doesn't even touch on how unimportant weight is on a TT, especially when we're talking a few grams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/quote]
For the last ten years I have been riding a heavy non aero round tubed steel bike and have not done too back. So unless you have a real old bike like mine, I bet your bike I would offer
was way more money than needed to be spent also. :o)

.[/quote]

That's tight mane!! Lmao yea I ride a tt bike disc wheels n everything bro lol

Grill wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

Jean-Jacques Rousseau has an incredibly apt quote that you should read...

Point is, why add your $.02 when it isn't even worth that?

Both 6870 and 9070 are lighter than their mechanical counterparts in road trim, and the difference in TT trim is negligible. This doesn't even touch on how unimportant weight is on a TT, especially when we're talking a few grams.

The weight of a group was a moot point which I acknowledged. I didn't add up the weight of the components in a tt set up but considering that di2 has a junction box, a battery, motors, and extra cabling for bullhorns all of which might cause more drag as well depending on junction boxes batteries on frame, cabling bars, stems etc. I'm just gonna assume it weighs a little more at least not that it matters but may also cause more aero drag. I personally do not think having shifters on bullhorns is worth the extra cash if it is, I didn't look anything up because i do not intend on blowing my life savings on shifters. They're probably both extremely good group sets I personally would not spend a few hundred dollars extra for di2 with bullhorn shifters no need to get butthurt about my opinion. If I were to get either I would take sram red because mechanical is easier to live with and probably cheaper. Like the shifters aren't reducing my drag or anything and the both do the job fine so why would I spend more money than I need to? I could get the cheaper one and some other cool stuff
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Dec 20, 14 18:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weights are including all cabling, junction boxes and internal battery. The difference in drag between mechs is barely quantifiable (you'd save more by removing the grippers from your skinsuit). I sourced Di2 a lot cheaper than Red 22, so price isn't the issue in this comparison. The bullhorn shifters are a godsend in tight turns and roundabouts, I suggest you give them a try given the opportunity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually went on ebay a second ago to price the cheapest new parts specific to the groupsets in question no cassette crank brakes etc that you polly have personal preferences for. For sram shifters and derailleurs. For shimano bar end/bullhorn shifters, derailleurs, 5 port junction, and battery. It actually costs $600 more for di2 which is approximately the price it costs me to feed myself and girlfriend for 2 months on 100% organic food like vegetables n shit gotta stay healthy bruh ya feel me tryna be potent here lol. A lot of bikes do not have internal spots for battery or junction so you have to take that into consideration for aerodynamics. I also looked up the weights of those parts and added them, assuming the shifters weighed the same short cage derailleurs, it's about half a lb more for di2 not including wiring and possible mounts. And idk a half lb in actual mass might cost you like a minute or 2 in an im, any extra drag all those extra parts may or may not be making depending on the rest of your set up could negate the pretty minute advantage that bullhorn shifting gave you for the extra $600.
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Dec 20, 14 19:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2 without a doubt.

I'm a long-time SRAM fan when it comes to mechanical on a road bike. Red shifters/Force brakes on my last 4 road frames. Shimano mechanical shifts fine, but I much prefer SRAM's single paddle and shorter throws. On a TT bike, I have no big preference, SRAM/Shimano mechanical shifts pretty much the same.

I got sick of waiting on SRAM's electronic and finally pulled the trigger on Ultegra DI2 on one of my road bikes a couple months ago. It's far superior to mechanical on a road bike, particularly the front shifting. One of my favorite features is being able to program the big paddles on each shifter to shift the RD and use the small "inner" buttons for the FD. I think Shimano could have done better on the paddle/button placement and feel (I wish they made a the big click like a SRAM mech. upshift), but that's the only nit I can make. I'll be upgrading all my bikes to electronic as I switch them to 11sp. For a TT bike, I'd still pick electronic, but it will be the last bike in my stable that will go electronic.

SRAM is really missing the market on electronic. I hope they get something out before they lose too many customers. I'll be curious how their wireless stuff works. I'm not crazy about the idea of separate batteries in each component.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2 NO BRAINER!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2.... better shifting, add'l shifting positions (aero & base bars), plus stiffer chainrings w/ Shimano vs SRAM..... sure, there's a weight penalty, but its irrelevant really....
Quote Reply

Prev Next