Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So many swim course cutters! [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
monty wrote:
Unfortunately just like with the new drafting mindset, there is a whole generation of triathletes that think that whatever you can get away with and not get caught, is ok. They look at it like a foul in basketball, which of course it is nothing like. Cutting the course is the worst offense you can do in my opinion, just a tad bit above doping. There is no excuse, although many will make them. There are of course degrees of cutting courses, beginning with getting shoved just inside a buoy at the last second to taking a taxi ride during the bike and run, or just plain turning around early or cutting an entire loop.

If they cut the course, they probably cheat in others areas. I cannot tell you how many times over the years I have seen top racers cut the run course. Every time I then confront them they just start with all the excuses.
I have known folks who have swam only 1 lap of a 2 lap swim.

How these folks look at themselves in a mirror is beyond me. I guess we just need to ask Moats since he never felt he did anything wrong.

Why would you swim inside the buoy and save 3 seconds? Really... I guess for a lot of people it can be a metaphor for how they live their life.
Quote Reply
Re: So many swim course cutters! [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
monty wrote:
Unfortunately just like with the new drafting mindset, there is a whole generation of triathletes that think that whatever you can get away with and not get caught, is ok. They look at it like a foul in basketball, which of course it is nothing like. Cutting the course is the worst offense you can do in my opinion, just a tad bit above doping. There is no excuse, although many will make them. There are of course degrees of cutting courses, beginning with getting shoved just inside a buoy at the last second to taking a taxi ride during the bike and run, or just plain turning around early or cutting an entire loop.

If they cut the course, they probably cheat in others areas. I cannot tell you how many times over the years I have seen top racers cut the run course. Every time I then confront them they just start with all the excuses.
I have known folks who have swam only 1 lap of a 2 lap swim.

How these folks look at themselves in a mirror is beyond me. I guess we just need to ask Moats since he never felt he did anything wrong.

Why would you swim inside the buoy and save 3 seconds? Really... I guess for a lot of people it can be a metaphor for how they live their life.

I have never cut a course of any type. I actually always swim real wide at turn balls to not get hit, so I am always swimming long and adding time.
At my age it is not about speed, it is survival.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: So many swim course cutters! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if its a turn buoy or a straight line buoy. You only need to make the turn buoys. You can swim on either side of the straight line guide buoys.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: So many swim course cutters! [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's definitely a turn buoy. Video calls it 1st turn buoy and just watch the pros... they are definitely turning around it.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: So many swim course cutters! [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I guess for a lot of people it can be a metaphor for how they live their life.

At least we know they didn't cut the buy at least one time.

Quote Reply
Re: So many swim course cutters! [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
I was in that race. I went around the buoy, but had to duck dive under half of it. There is no excuse for cutting the course, but at the same time, the course was set up for a huge cluster fuck there. 1500 people, mass start, and the first turn buoy is only 250 yards out. The second buoy was just as bad, but after that, there was a long straight where things could thin out and the next two turn buoys were fine. I believe there was a similar underwater video for 2009 as well...so this was nothing new.

This was bad course design. The worst course design is when you have a hair point (great than 180 degree) turn.

The worst offender is the 1:55 guy. There was no reason There are 4 guys cutting it at once at 2:09. I think that was the proverbial flood gate. At 2:14 a guy thinks about going around the buoy and then says screw and cuts. You can actually see that happening a lot - guys kicking breaststroke heading around the buoy but not moving anywhere and then just cutting it.
Quote Reply
Re: So many swim course cutters! [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a sprint race in Coeur D'alene in 2013 and there was 3 of us leading the swim and the RD had started the olympic first, so after the first buoy where you are swimming across the olympic lead group is coming into shore across us so to speak.. We were still 50m from the buoy to turn home so the two guys take off into shore with the olympic swimmers, I had the split second where I said 'I'm going too', but in the end I swam the proper course.. Bad design by the RD but no excuse to cheat. I just don't get why these half to cheat, it definitely fuelled my bike ride..

uncle_evan wrote:
I did a sprint race in Coeur D'alene in 2013 and there was 3 of us leading the swim and the RD had started the olympic first, so after the first buoy where you are swimming across the olympic lead group is coming into shore across us so to speak.. We were still 50m from the buoy to turn home so the two guys take off into shore with the olympic swimmers, I had the split second where I said 'I'm going too', but in the end I swam the proper course.. Bad design by the RD but no excuse to cheat. I just don't get why these half to cheat, it definitely fuelled my bike ride..

Several people said the same thing "I don't get it." The video showed hundreds of people cutting the course. It is easily understood:

If 3 guys had gone instead of 2, you might not have resisted that urge. Or maybe it would have taken 9 guys. But you likely would have done it if enough other people were doing it too. We are competitive and flawed beings. Put us together to act as a collective and we are capable of some pretty horrible things.
Quote Reply

Prev Next