Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me choose!
Quote | Reply
My husband an I did our xmas gift exchange last night as he is leaving to work for a month. He is buying me the Flo wheels of my choosing. I am not sure if I should get the 60/90 combo or the 60/60 set.

I am a back of the pack cyclist so I do not want to look foolish....

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose! [mhughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
60/90 set. The deeper wheel on the back has no bearing on control. Your steering axis is connected to your front wheel so the 60 is fine.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what use - tri and I would go for the 60/90 but for everyday ridning/training I'd choose the 60/60
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'd go 60/60. Will work well for tri and road bikes, very versatile setup. If you want more speed out of it get a wheel cover for the rear 60.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
60/90. Faster and it actually helps the handling of the bike to have a deeper wheel out back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
60/60 and a Wheelbuilder cover for Valentine's Day...

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of HED 60s and being relatively light (145 lbs) I feel unstable in a cross wind, especially going downhill. If I were to do it again I'd get a normal depth wheel upfront. So your weight and bike handling skills is an important factor to consider when getting deep wheel sets. Personally I would go for a set of Flo 30s or 30/60 combo. Keep in mind the 30 is just as aero vs. the 60 or 90 at 0' yaw and is actually more aero at higher yaw angles (see link below). Also a 30/30 or 30/60 is non-flashy and definitely wouldn't make you look foolish.

http://www.flocycling.com/aero.php
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose! [McSteel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes these would be for my tri bike(Specialized S-works frame with Shiv Expert components. Frame was a warranty.)

I ride around 7-7:30 in an Ironman and I am a heavier rider(hope to change that...lol)

I was leaning toward the 60/90 combo as that seems to be the most common but these comments have made me question that.

Thank you all for your imput.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually then I would go for the 60/90 combo.
I ride a 50/50 on my roadbike. My TT (Fuji D6 1.0) has never been fitted with less than 80/80. Currently I run 80/disc - my TT is used for both tri/IM and TT's.
Your bike won't get unstable with wider rims on the rear - only on the front. And a 60 won't cause any problems (and I'm a heavy rider to)

Hope this helps
Jacob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mhughes wrote:
Yes these would be for my tri bike(Specialized S-works frame with Shiv Expert components. Frame was a warranty.)

I ride around 7-7:30 in an Ironman and I am a heavier rider(hope to change that...lol)

I was leaning toward the 60/90 combo as that seems to be the most common but these comments have made me question that.

Since it appears you will be using these for triathlon, I would lean towards recommending the 60/90 set. You can easily train and race on this wheelset, the front wheel is easy to handle for almost every athlete, and the deeper rear gives you just a little bit of extra speed over the rear 60. If I could only own 1 set of wheels for triathlon, I'd own a 60/90 set up.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why did these comments make you question the 60/90?
Everyone said get the 60/90!
As do I
except get the 60/disc

mhughes wrote:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose! [McSteel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jacob.

I was not sure how they would affect stability. I am a fairly stable rider, only time I have been nervous was on a downhill doing about 65 km/h and getting hit by a cross wind of 40km/h
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose! [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chris,

60/90 combo ordered!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mhughes wrote:
Thanks Chris,

60/90 combo ordered!

Thank you very much for the support. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions as at all.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose! [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,

I received my wheels today. I am very excited to use them but there are a couple of things I would like you to check for me. I am hoping that they are just cosmetic. Can I email you some pics?

MaryAnn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mhughes wrote:
Hi Chris,

I received my wheels today. I am very excited to use them but there are a couple of things I would like you to check for me. I am hoping that they are just cosmetic. Can I email you some pics?

MaryAnn

Certainly. chris at flocycling dot com is where you can reach me.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply