Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Elevated heart rate at rest...
Quote | Reply
My typical heart rate at rest as around 55 to 60 bpm. Occasionally I get these episodes where for 24 to 36 hour my rest-heart-rate is elevated to 85 to 90 bpm. If I standup it and walk it is around 110 to 120 bpm. They are infrequent like once every couple years for the last 10 years and related to nothing noticeable. I completed an ironman 4 weeks ago but have taking it easy and am fully recovered. And yes I have been to a couple doctors over the years about this, but inconclusive.

Has anybody experienced this? thx
Quote Reply
Re: Elevated heart rate at rest... [woof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's kind of weird. Have you seen a cardiologist? Every time I change doctors, they always hear my heartbeat and think I have a murmur but it turns out to be nothing after they do an ultrasound. Now, after years, I see a cardiologist who says it's a mid-systolic click and I'm scheduled for a stress test.

Good luck figuring it out

Dtyrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may have some kind of an irregular heart beat. You should see your doctor. They can fit you with a monitor that records your EKG continuously for weeks (loop recorder) to catch to see what it is. It may be something benign. Or it may be serious.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like atrial fibrillation maybe. Go see a cardiologist. They may have you wear a holter for a couple of weeks to record your EKG and give you an echo cardiogram and possibly a stress echo cardiogram.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a less gruesome twist, it could also point to minor illness.. a minor flu might not feel like much, but could raise HR a little. Or if you train too much you could be starting down the overtrained road...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elevated HR at rest can be a sign that you may not be totally recovered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Likely overtrained, or inadequately rested
Quote Reply
Re: Elevated heart rate at rest... [docholiday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a similar issue where my heart rate suddenly doubles in bpm, but only lasts for about ten minutes. For me it happens once every few years, both at rest and during exercise. The only thing I can point to is it usually happens during high levels of stress and anxiety. Perhaps your case is also related to stress/anxiety?
Quote Reply
Re: Elevated heart rate at rest... [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
Sounds like atrial fibrillation maybe. Go see a cardiologist. They may have you wear a holter for a couple of weeks to record your EKG and give you an echo cardiogram and possibly a stress echo cardiogram.
This again.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a friend who had experienced this. Please see your doctor, press them if you have to. "Inconclusive" would not be an answer I would accept with my heart.

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Elevated heart rate at rest... [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dforbes wrote:
I've had a friend who had experienced this. Please see your doctor, press them if you have to. "Inconclusive" would not be an answer I would accept with my heart.

I would get this checked out. Sometimes too much alcohol or too much food and coffee late at night can cause elevated heart rate for the night.

As someone said it could be a virus. Often you feel fine but heart rate is elevated due to a virus you are fighting off.

But best play safe and get a proper check up.
Quote Reply
Re: Elevated heart rate at rest... [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:

Thank you guys.

Right now I am trying to get my medical records from my last visit almost 2 years ago when I was going through this the last time. When they took the ECG of my heart, I believe they said it was fine, but I thought I remember looking at the sinus waves and seeing what looked like noise or jitter as apposed to a cleaner signal for the smaller signal. As I looked up atrial fibrillation, that seems to be part of the problem, that and more random beats vs looking at a normal sinus wave. So I don't know. This episode only lasted a strong 13 hours, then my rest heart rate dropped back down. I don't often drink and I don't consume coffee either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't try to interpret your own EKGs unless you're a physician (maybe, especially if you're a physician)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woof - it's doubtful that you have AF, atrial fibrillation, but many of the posters are correct when they offer you a host of etiologies for this rate increase. A current ECG and rhythm strip by your physician, along with a physical examination, would be an excellent start. If inconclusive, a Holter monitor or sort of long term ECG can provide further data. Lastly, an event monitor, where you have ECG leads in place for month, maybe two or three months if indicated, and when the increased rate episode is noted you simply activate the device can also contribute valuable information. Take the next step.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Elevated heart rate at rest... [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dr. Post. I'll look into that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome. When the work up is complete and a definitive answer known, pop back on ST. Your experience could help others with a similar issue.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply