Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flo 30 versus Mavic Cosmic Elite
Quote | Reply
Looking to make a "next step" wheel upgrade on my 2012 P2 which currently has Shimano 500 rims and an 11 speed cassette. Would appreciate thoughts, experiences, input on moving up to either the Flo 30 or Mavic Cosmic Elites which are apparently now shipping on current P3s. Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 versus Mavic Cosmic Elite [brooktrout48] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brooktrout48 wrote:
Looking to make a "next step" wheel upgrade on my 2012 P2 which currently has Shimano 500 rims and an 11 speed cassette. Would appreciate thoughts, experiences, input on moving up to either the Flo 30 or Mavic Cosmic Elites which are apparently now shipping on current P3s. Thanks in advance!

I have cosmic elites. It's my favorite all around wheel. I train on them and race on zipp 404's. If I didn't have 404's I would be fine racing on the elites. Plus, they look good on the bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brooktrout48 wrote:

Wait until you can buy a high end wheel set, or you will buy twice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brooktrout48 wrote:

Flo 30 front and disc cover rear is probably the best bang for the buck in wheels IMO. I train on Flo 30s and will bring them with me to races next year as "back up" wheels or incase it's extremely windy.

Don't know much about the Mavic wheels, sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a wind tunnel test of 30ish mm alloy wheels a couple of years back and the mavic cosmic elites were middle of the pack. I'd expect the Flo 30s to be a bit better in terms of aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both. Flo 30's are better: lighter, more aero, and wider. The perfect training wheel and a terrific price. Very good value. There's nothing wrong with the Mavics -- they're just not as good in those three areas. Otherwise they're a terrific training/racing wheel that has been around awhile and stood the test of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of those 2 wheels, the FLO's are more aero, but still way, way less than the 60.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 versus Mavic Cosmic Elite [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Flo testing the 60s are faster than the 30s by 20-30s (depending on how fast you are) in quite windy conditions on a 70.3.
Or 1-2s if low wind.
Not really a huge gain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While the Mavics are a nice wheel, they are pretty old school in terms of design. So narrow, not very aero, flat bladed spokes, somewhat clunky hub design, rather heavy, and don't work particularly well with wider tires. Flo 30s are about the best bang for the buck out there. The hubs are nice, the rims are about as good as a 30mm deep wheel is going to get and Sapim makes some of the nicest spokes.

The overall quality isn't quite what you would expect from something like a HED wheel, but I think they are great wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or consider the AC Victory 30's. They have a "better" toroidal shape then the Mavics and are wider. The also come tubeless ready and have bladed spokes.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 versus Mavic Cosmic Elite [AG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oval 327 or 330 alloy wheelset would be a good choice too.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 versus Mavic Cosmic Elite [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, Zipp's all the way.....sorry it's not one of your choices but I've tried so many Wheelset and brands and always came back to my Zipp.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 versus Mavic Cosmic Elite [Jimster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thoughts if I were to add zipp 202s to the list?

Sorry. Meant the Zipp 30 alloy clincher. Slight difference!
Last edited by: brooktrout48: Dec 15, 14 16:59
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 versus Mavic Cosmic Elite [adal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adal wrote:
brooktrout48 wrote:

Wait until you can buy a high end wheel set, or you will buy twice.

Was your first car a Lamborghini?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brooktrout48 wrote:
Thoughts if I were to add zipp 202s to the list?

Sorry. Meant the Zipp 30 alloy clincher. Slight difference!

The 30's are not really anything special. Just a "cheaper" Zipp that's still too expensive. Go with the Flo's. Or the HED Ardennes+ line (or get built up HED Belgium+ rims on your own hubs).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brooktrout48 wrote:
Sorry. Meant the Zipp 30 alloy clincher.

Zipp 30's are not worth the money. At all.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 versus Mavic Cosmic Elite [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
brooktrout48 wrote:

Flo 30 front and disc cover rear is probably the best bang for the buck in wheels IMO. I train on Flo 30s and will bring them with me to races next year as "back up" wheels or incase it's extremely windy.

Don't know much about the Mavic wheels, sorry.
"Back up" to what? Are you racing with aluminum brake track wheels also? Which? Or do you change out the brake pads each time?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 versus Mavic Cosmic Elite [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few years ago our shop sponsored a local cycling team and gave them all Zipp 30's as training wheels, the guys each road well over 12-15k miles that year, not one wheel had an issue. That is 12 guys hammering a wheel day in day out and not one broken spoke or failed bearing. I have seen Flo 30's hubs blow within 2-3k miles and seen several spokes break as well. I am not saying Flo is a bad wheel, just that you get what you pay for. Same for Mavic, they are just bombproof wheels that always last (except for that carbon spoke model and one of the ksyrium years).
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 versus Mavic Cosmic Elite [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go with the wheel set that looks the best and has the best warranty. Don't base your choice on soly on hyped aero #'s that won't make a difference anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 versus Mavic Cosmic Elite [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Mike- wrote:
A few years ago our shop sponsored a local cycling team and gave them all Zipp 30's as training wheels, the guys each road well over 12-15k miles that year, not one wheel had an issue. That is 12 guys hammering a wheel day in day out and not one broken spoke or failed bearing. I have seen Flo 30's hubs blow within 2-3k miles and seen several spokes break as well. I am not saying Flo is a bad wheel, just that you get what you pay for. Same for Mavic, they are just bombproof wheels that always last (except for that carbon spoke model and one of the ksyrium years).

You are sort of comparing 12 wheel sets to all of the wheel sets we've ever sold, aren't you? Have we ever had an issue with a hub? Of course, but all have been easily repairable AND we repair them without question. Most of the times it's a lack of maintenance that causes the problem. Regarding spokes... we've got about 225,000 spokes on the road at this point. Once in a while they break, but we also send those out for free... EVEN when people crash or shift their poorly tuned derailleur into their wheel. I'm guessing if you look hard enough you'll find a few broken spokes or damaged hubs with the other brands as well.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 versus Mavic Cosmic Elite [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Mavic's are great training wheels, and I ride the heck out of them. For me, I'd rock those until I could afford some 808s if I already had the Mavic's. If you don't have the Mavic's already, I'd step up to the 808. The 808s are a fantastic wheel, and you can find a good pair used cheap nowadays. Even an older set, even with the aluminum track, are considerably better than the Mavic's. Don't get me wrong, I love the Mavic's as a training wheel, but the Zipps are just a better wheel (especially on race day) to me after having many sets of them, of different years and types. I wouldn't fool with the 30s, but that's just mho.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brooktrout48 wrote:

You have perfectly good training wheels it seems. So don't upgrade those (you won't get much for them on the used market anyways), just get race-day wheels. deep front (or Hed 3) and a flo / renn disc on the back.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply