Prev Next
Re: Very Nicely Said about Nicola Spirig @ IM Cozumel [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Salmon Steve wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
logella wrote:
Just checked in on the Cozumel results and Nicola has taken the lead at the 21km mark of the run. Not too shabby.

Yes, the last 21 should not be much of a contest. Everyone should be fighting for second place.

I'd say that's a little premature Dev.

Hey, it's ST, we're allowed to make bold unfounded stupid statements and get away with it!!!

We will see if you get away with it!

So far my fat lady singing jpg is holding solid. Nicola has extended her lead on Vesterby....and Kelly Williamson who CAN run is not even in the same time zone after the bike. Nicola should be able to do a Michael Jackson approved moon walk and beat Williamson to the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Salmon Steve wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
logella wrote:
Just checked in on the Cozumel results and Nicola has taken the lead at the 21km mark of the run. Not too shabby.

Yes, the last 21 should not be much of a contest. Everyone should be fighting for second place.

Hey, it's ST, we're allowed to make bold unfounded stupid statements and get away with it!!!

We will see if you get away with it!

This was from Ironman.com:

#IMCozumel Olympic champion @NicolaSpirig is the new leader and ran a 1:30:47 opening half marathon while @VesterbyTri ran a 1:34:30.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...l.aspx#ixzz3KaeQtTD2

I am probably the only idiot in North America tracking both Ultraman Hawaii and IM Cozumel..everyone is watching football.
Quote Reply
Re: Very Nicely Said about Nicola Spirig @ IM Cozumel [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I am probably the only idiot in North America tracking both Ultraman Hawaii and IM Cozumel..everyone is watching football.

Haha, very likely!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Haha, very likely!

OK, maybe if I turn on the cable I can have a replay of this weekend's Liverpool vs Stoke City Premier League game...I guess I live in the wrong continent!
Quote Reply
Re: Very Nicely Said about Nicola Spirig @ IM Cozumel [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Not necessarily. I checked in on Ultraman earlier today and haven't watched a football game on TV all year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like you got away with that one ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm "trying" to track both, while watching canucks at detroit.....grey cup isn't on for a bit.....my mother in law loves football and we are going there for dinner,

Thanks to you and Brian for the updates in the UM thread.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Very Nicely Said about Nicola Spirig @ IM Cozumel [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
I'm "trying" to track both, while watching canucks at detroit.....grey cup isn't on for a bit.....my mother in law loves football and we are going there for dinner,

Thanks to you and Brian for the updates in the UM thread.

Maurice

I'm watching talking heads on TSN talking Grey Cup....I suppose the rest of Canada cares about that...the real Canadian success is on the Lava fields....Armed Forces Hall of Famer Tony O'Keeffe on the hunt trying for a win at 54!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Very Nicely Said about Nicola Spirig @ IM Cozumel [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Salmon Steve wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
logella wrote:

OK OK....it's really done now! Not that shabby for a new mom who treats triathlon more as a hobby than a profession and just does this stuff because it is a "challenge"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Please don't think I'm trying to bust your balls today - I'm not! :)

But I wouldn't use the word hobby. That's not what I read into Brett's musings, and its not what I've seen of Nicola training either. I know the point you're trying to make, and I'm sure she is something special and her mind set / how she operates and sees racing is something quite unique to her and a handful of other 'pros'. But I don't think the word 'hobby' is the correct word. She has passion for competition, and challenging herself.

Anyway, I've posted enough. 4 times in a day I need to go hide for another few months.
Quote Reply
Re: Very Nicely Said about Nicola Spirig @ IM Cozumel [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Salmon Steve wrote:

But I wouldn't use the word hobby. That's not what I read into Brett's musings, and its not what I've seen of Nicola training either. I know the point you're trying to make, and I'm sure she is something special and her mind set / how she operates and sees racing is something quite unique to her and a handful of other 'pros'. But I don't think the word 'hobby' is the correct word. She has passion for competition, and challenging herself.

Anyway, I've posted enough. 4 times in a day I need to go hide for another few months.

Yes, I know what you mean. The word hobby can be taken out of hand. Let's say she is a family person who is also a lawyer who trains and competes hard. It is one of many things in her life, which I suspect all of which she attacks with equal intensity and focus when she wants to get the most out of herself. It's not that different from many age groupers, except most of us have different starting point genetics for triathlon. Some girl can go on the same program as Nicola and never dream of going sub 11. Its just not in the cards. Nicola's genetic starting point is superior to all but a handful of women on this planet when it comes to tri....it's just the say it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salmon Steve wrote:

IMO, if you can't support yourself with it, it's a hobby. No matter how good you are.

Not necessarily fair-I'm good friends with a mediocre violinist who makes more money with her violin than dozens of people more skilled than she is, in my town alone. But she gets gigs and students for being very personable and good enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Very Nicely Said about Nicola Spirig @ IM Cozumel [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
I'm going to say she will win.

Just giving myself a little bump here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His interview recently on Babbitville was just filled with fantastic tidbits of information.

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nicely said SS

Salmon Steve wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Very Nicely Said about Nicola Spirig @ IM Cozumel [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I am having trouble following this thread.

So Please!

Who won?
Quote Reply

Prev Next