Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do I look for in a MTN bike or CX bike?!
Quote | Reply
Trying to get into mountain biking and have zero clue what to look for. What's good what's bad? Components ? Does it all matter? Someone send me in the right direction.
Not looking to break the bank but not not lookin for a POS
Quote Reply
Re: What do I look for in a MTN bike or CX bike?! [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It mostly depends on the type of riding you want to do, and also what will fit (I.e, how tall are you?). Your budget is important as well. If you want to race Xterra, you should focus on a XC race bike. Trail bikes handle more difficult terrain. CX bikes are for cross or gravel rides and not mtb (unless your trails are flat and smooth, or you're Sven Nys)
Quote Reply
Re: What do I look for in a MTN bike or CX bike?! [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I this your one bike beyond the Tri bike? Do you own a road bike?

The other key question is, how technical will the riding for you do off the road?

If your off-road riding is going to be non-technical ( gravel/dirt roads, grass, easier trails), and you currently down't own a road bike, then a CX or one of the new gravel road bikes is a great choice. This one bike will give you extraordinary versatility in terms of where you can ride and the type of riding that you can do. With a simple change in wheels and/or tires you can go from the trail to riding a gran fondo on the road!

I wrote a bit of a story on the gravel road riding phenomenon, with a bike review thrown in on the Raleigh Tamland, here - http://stevefleck.blogspot.ca/...road-less-taken.html

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 27, 14 9:02
Quote Reply
Re: What do I look for in a MTN bike or CX bike?! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Fleck,

I do have a roadie that I use from time to time, mainly ride my TT bike. I have ride a 51cm cervelo TT and i want to say 54 maybe 53cm Giant TCR roadie. As for riding goes, being in the northeast i can get as technical or nontechnical, easy-hard terrain. I want to try it but have no idea where to start. sizing looks different dont know much about whats good and whats not. there are some single track trails around me with rollers and so on.
Quote Reply