Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2 seasons behind me, what to invest in next...?
Quote | Reply
With my first two triathlon seasons behind me and lots of room to improve in all three skills, where should I turn to get my best bang for the buck? I ride a 2013 Trek SC with di2 and stock wheels. I am contemplating between a swim analysis & swim coach, a set of Zipp 808's, a power meter and bike/run coach or saving my money and keep on training hard. Advice appreciated. Here are my results from the past two seasons.

2013 Boulder 70.3 (My first 70.3)
Swim - 42:45
Bike - 2:53:14
Run - 2:18:05
Overall - 5:59:27

2014 Vineman 70.3
Swim - 36:22
Bike - 2:51:52
Run - 1:58:40
Overall - 5:36:06

2014 Soma 70.3
Can't find my splits but my overall was something like 5:36:12

2014 Ironman Arizona (my first 140.6)
Swim - 1:18:10
Bike - 6:27:11
Run - 4:48:04
Overall - 12:47:58
Quote Reply
Re: 2 seasons behind me, what to invest in next...? [sparkysfat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Save your money and train harder. Power meter, perhaps, but the best bang for the buck is a CompuTrainer, Wahoo Kickr, or other power training aid. Training with power can lead to some big gains, where the additional items (more aero wheels, for example) will come into play. Frankly, at those times, train more. I have passed (literally) thousands of high-end bikes and wheels in the past few years because I spent my money on a CompuTrainer and rode it, a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 seasons behind me, what to invest in next...? [sparkysfat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Join a masters swimming group
Rent some race wheels for your A race (no benefit from training on them other than handling)

If you still feel like you're learning and progressing then I'd stick with that for a while and see what improvements you make. If you feel you're plateauing, not using your time efficiently, or are lacking motivation, then a coach is your next best investment. If you enjoy researching and figuring out your own plan, then a power meter may be a better bet. General rule of thumb on training is to add more intensity on the bike (E.g. 2 x 20 minute intervals), and more volume on the run simply by running more often but at a relatively easy pace.

Aero helmet and a bike fit are also basically free speed (free as in no effort, they obviously cost money...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+ 1 on the power meter, especially with the power2max black friday deal, well worth the $$.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 seasons behind me, what to invest in next...? [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently have a kurt kinetic road machine and in the past have used trainerroad. Is there any major advantage to the computrainer or wahoo kickr over what I currently have?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest investing in yourself (training) and the tools to make you faster. Whether that be a PM, coaching etc.

My race history and results are around yours (2013 Racine 70.3 6:20, 2014 Kansas 70.3 DNF with heat stroke 3 miles left on the run (on target to finish 5:3x), 2014 Ironman Chattanooga (my first full as well) 11:35:25. My sole focus this year is on me (via coaching and putting in the hours of training). Last year i spent way too much time and money focusing on equipment.

You (like myself) probably have a ton of low hanging fruit to pick up in the training department which will make a much more significant impact to your times than a new set of wheels. If you are looking for a coach, Training bible coaching has 50% off certain training packages for year of coaching as part of black friday. There are also tons of other great options on ST if you can't find someone local.

My 2 cents.
Last edited by: jph437: Nov 26, 14 12:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Proper training. If you can figure that out yourself, cool. If not hire a coach.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The advantage of a CompuTrainer or Kickr is the ability of the computer to control resistance, and therefore effort. You'll train much harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Questions, what is your age? Family?

What did your training looks like per month for the last 2 years?

Are you overweight?

Are you on a masters swim team?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you gotta spend it, a coach and a power meter. Masters swim team too. Wheels are nice but that would be the last thing in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 seasons behind me, what to invest in next...? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
27, gf who works a lot. I'm 6'0 173lbs.

The past two seasons I used Matt Fitzgerald's essential week by week training guide religiously.

I taught myself how to swim, I ride solo, and I run solo.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 seasons behind me, what to invest in next...? [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the tour de france proform? Would that be in the same category as the wahoo kickr and computrainer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sparkysfat wrote:
27, gf who works a lot. I'm 6'0 173lbs.

The past two seasons I used Matt Fitzgerald's essential week by week training guide religiously.

I taught myself how to swim, I ride solo, and I run solo.

So, do you think you could lose some weight?

Did you record your month by month times for the last two years.

The question I am trying to see is how dedicated you are. I train around 2 hours per day, 7 days a week, 12 months a year.
My lowest week this year was 39 hours when I was done with season and went to Disneyland for 10 days. My high was 62 hours a month
May, June July. These were my numbers for a short course race season.

Do you run with lots of hills? How many days a week do you swim? How many months a year? Masters swim team?

Were you focusing on short course training or long course?

To get better, it takes years and years of solid training without getting hurt.

But, I would still put my focus on your GF! I loved the comment I have heard 100% of the males on their death beds wished they had spent more
time with their families.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have also just completed my 2nd year of tri with a 6:02 for Racine 70.3 in 2013 and a 5:17 in 2014.

Ditto what others have said about improved training. I've improved mostly by training with others that are better than me. I joined a local triathlon club and also a running club. Both were very inexpensive to join but the encouragement and experience I get from other members has been incredible. I still do 70% of my training alone but even that has been better.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 seasons behind me, what to invest in next...? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not trying to podium or anything at this point, I would love to get my 70.3 below 5:30 this season and sub 5:00 in the future. My short term plans are 2-3 70.3's next season, and a 70.3 and 140.6 in 2016.

At 173lbs, I could probably lose a max 5 lbs.

After Boulder 70.3 in 2013, I didn't swim bike or run until about January/February of 2014. I played a lot of basketball and yoga during my time off.

My focus this year was to make sure I trained enough to complete my first Ironman. The training program that I was using from Matt Fitzgerald's book began with 4,700y of swimming, 4:45 of cycling, and 2:23 of running in week 1 and peaked with 10,375y of swimming, 8:40 of cycling and 3:45 of running in week 22. That was level 4 out of 10 from his book, so I could continue to use the book and ramp it up to level 5 next season and 6 the season after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also failed to mention that my wheels right now are on their last legs so I am in the market for a new set of wheels. That's why I was contemplating whether or not to spend the extra money on racing wheels (but then I would be training on those as well) or to save the money and just buy a new set of training wheels. Any recommendations on a solid pair of training wheels that won't break the bank and also won't....well...break
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only input is the top folks I know never take time off from training of some sort.

I am 6'5 and 160 ....

Seems at you age you would want to focus a few years on speed before you just slug it out with distance.

Good luck.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your low hanging fruit is your swim and run.

Find someone who can fix your stroke and run more often to run more volume.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What others in particular Desert Dude said, and also try this: Don't race anything longer than a sprint or Olympic for the next year, or two years ( and race as much as you can). As a side project, really focus on setting stand-alone life-time bests in the 1500m swim, the 40kTT and the 10k run.

If you do this right and then you go back to the longer racing, you'll crush your current PR's - almost guaranteed

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would personally do masters swimming and power. Then the 808's fo bling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're going to buy wheels anyways, and particularly if you only have the one bike that you train and race on, then just get race wheels and ride them in training. Everything I have read or heard about current generation deep section wheels is they are designed to be ridden lots. I bought some chinese carbon clinchers (the rear with a used powertap) and I just leave them on my tri bike and whenever I'm riding it for training I just leave them on. I also have a road bike that I train on with just regular box training wheels, but I have never had a problem "overusing" my race wheels.

I note there is Black Friday deals on Powertap packages out there. Those things are bullet proof in my experience. Buy one in a race wheel and have at it.

This is not to say this is, necessarily, the best use of your money. Others have given you lots of other very good advice in this thread. Just that if you are going to spend money on wheels, unless you really can't afford any type of race wheel, I wouldn't waste money on a "training wheel" per se when you can train on a racing wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I am going to pickup a power2max and wahoo kickr. My wheels can last me a little while longer until I save up for a set of 808's.

In a few months when I'm ready to get back into the pool on a regular basis, I will either go get a swim analysis done at Swim Labs and then join masters, or find a coach and get some private lessons to correct my form.

I will take all the suggestions to heart and implement as best I can into my training. Does it sound like there's any holes in my plan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why do you need a powermeter and a kickr? I'd just get the P2Max and get in the pool NOW rather than "in a few months". Even if you are doing it wrong, you will still be building fitness and swim specific strength.

Here's a little known fact about swimming. Everyone does it "wrong". Even Michael Phelps has some pretty significant stroke flaws, but he makes it work pretty well.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: 2 seasons behind me, what to invest in next...? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I understand (not much when it comes to power meters), if I train with power on the wahoo kickr then when I'm not on the trainer don't I need a power meter to use while riding and racing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use *most* power meters on most trainers, so no need to get the KICKR IF you get a powermeter. With you having a Kurt Kinetic you should be good with every power meter out there.

I would suggest a power meter & the book "Training and Racing with a Powermeter" and then join a masters swim group. Possibly look at getting a coach down the road.

And for what it is worth, I am 6'0" and get down to 160. Although, you may be built differently so maybe 170 is as lean as you can get?

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply