Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wrench question about jockey wheels
Quote | Reply
My winter bike needs some new jockey wheel in the rear derailleur. It is 9 speed Sora. The shop I went to was low on stock and had some 11 tooth Shimano XT wheels. These are much fancier and listed as Dyna Sys with sealed bearings. They said they should work fine. Is this the case? My other bike is a 10 speed 105, are the sealed bearings that much better? Should I do a full swap of jockey wheels from the 105 to the Sora and give the 105 bike the better wheels? Am I crazy and confused about this all?

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench question about jockey wheels [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of those should work just fine. I'm 95% sure that 9/10 jockey wheels are all intercompatible.

The sealed bearings *may* be better, but assuredly getting in there and cleaning/repacking all your jockey wheels will bring some benefit.

Happy wrenching!

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench question about jockey wheels [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I may switch them around just because the 105 bike is my race bike and usually I use it in better weather conditions. My Sora bike sees much worse weather and from what I have been reading online, bushings may be better (assuming I maintain them) in crappy conditions.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plus you get to put shiney parts on the "fast" bike. That's an important feature. :)

(Bushings should be a bit better, but semi-regular maintenance of both will swamp construction differences)

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah stupid question again, but one is the tension and one the guide. But the packaging does say which goes on the top and which on the lower. Guide is top and tension is lower right?

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well there you go. My race bike was actually Ultegra rear derailleur and this already had sealed bearing wheels, ha ha! Might as well swap the new one in there and the older ones on the winter bike (the older ones have very little wear but are a couple of years old now).

Ian
Quote Reply