Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Meter or Road Bike?
Quote | Reply
Currently considering purchasing a crank-based power meter or new road bike to train/ride.

Little bit of background, currently have a 2013 BMC TM02 as main ride to race and train on. Also have a Felt single-speed cross bike to rip around town and use as a commuter. Looking at Stages power meter, but would also have to upgrade crankset as I am running TriMax crank currently. Other option is to look into a mid-level road bike something along the lines of BMC SLR02 105 or something similar.

Based on a one IM per year schedule, which would I benefit more from? Obviously the road bike would be pricier than the power meter but considering that I could use the road bike for training and/or Gran Fondos is pretty attractive.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Road Bike? [mplstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power meter. Train with it and pace with it when you race and you'll see substantial gains.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Road Bike? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A power meter would be a waste of money as many pro athletes have been going fast without the fancy electronics for decades. Furhtermore, A new road bike will give you enjoyment than a power meter. For sure forget about the power meter and get your self a fancy new bike.

One more thought: a new bike can give you a boner just by looking at it while a power does not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't even look at my road bike anymore! Lol love my tt bike to death. Power meter personally, can make huge gains with such accurate and quick feedback
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are your goals? If it's triathon, then focusing on power workouts and getting used to your TT position will do you the most good.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road bike? man i got a nice venge sitting in storage i never ride...power meter all the way.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can never have enough bikes or gadget so I would go with both bike and power meter. However if you have to choose, you can't beat the combo of a power meter and coach if you are looking to improve your tri specific biking.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Road Bike? [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:
A power meter would be a waste of money as many pro athletes have been going fast without the fancy electronics for decades. Furhtermore, A new road bike will give you enjoyment than a power meter. For sure forget about the power meter and get your self a fancy new bike.

One more thought: a new bike can give you a boner just by looking at it while a power does not.

Pros don't need a power meter and, if you want to ride 112 miles on the rivet, neither do you.

Edit: Now that I re-read your post, I have to assume you are being sarcastic.
Last edited by: dtaylor: Nov 21, 14 20:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were you, I'd get some road tires for my cross bike and ride it instead of buying a dedicated rodie. Then get the Powermeter you can use on both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
power meter is super cool, hope that helps ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're ever planning to race M35-39 in Michigan I would ask you to get the road bike.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Road Bike? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
If you're ever planning to race M35-39 in Michigan I would ask you to get the road bike.

M40-44 on the east coast would definitely go road bike as well.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply